Power Steering Failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Richard63

Re: Power Steering Failure : Get It Checked NOW!

Post by Richard63 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:44 am

Thank you to Discosportforums for saving me £2500!
Last week my 15 reg. Disco Sport with just 25,000 miles on the clock came to a shuddering halt as I was driving along the road at low speed. There was a horrendous whining/screeching noise accompanied by loud metallic clanking from under the bonnet and my steering completely went. I narrowly avoided a parked car and came to a halt in the middle of the road, causing a real hazard to traffic. I waited 3 hours to be towed away to the nearest Land Rover dealer.
I diagnosed the problem before the dealership did having read the growing number of posts here and on a website called "HonestJohn" and presented my case to the dealers who were about to present me with a repair bill for £2500. They immediately and quickly prepared paperwork to send to Land Rover including a copy of the posts here relating to failed aluminium bolts holding the steering column motor and just after 48 hours later, they were given the go ahead to repair at their cost. I am also getting my taxi expenses reimbursed.
Given the growing number of cases relating to this problem - and it seems the majority of cars affected are from 2015 - it seems prudent for Land Rover to recall all Discovery Models fitted with these aluminium bolts (as they have already done in one area of Canada) and replace them with non-corrosive alternatives. As the cars get older, it is likely that many more bolts will fail and it's only a matter of time before there's a really serious accident with life-threatening consequences. Can you imagine driving along a busy motorway at 70mph, overtaking in the wet and the steering suddenly totally fails? Doesn't bear thinking about! So if you have an apparently healthy Discovery Sport, I advise you to get the steering rack system thoroughly checked over.

Trojan

Re: Power Steering Failure : Get It Checked NOW!

Post by Trojan » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:09 pm

Richard63 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:44 am
Thank you to Discosportforums for saving me £2500!
Last week my 15 reg. Disco Sport with just 25,000 miles on the clock came to a shuddering halt as I was driving along the road at low speed. There was a horrendous whining/screeching noise accompanied by loud metallic clanking from under the bonnet and my steering completely went. I narrowly avoided a parked car and came to a halt in the middle of the road, causing a real hazard to traffic. I waited 3 hours to be towed away to the nearest Land Rover dealer.
I diagnosed the problem before the dealership did having read the growing number of posts here and on a website called "HonestJohn" and presented my case to the dealers who were about to present me with a repair bill for £2500. They immediately and quickly prepared paperwork to send to Land Rover including a copy of the posts here relating to failed aluminium bolts holding the steering column motor and just after 48 hours later, they were given the go ahead to repair at their cost. I am also getting my taxi expenses reimbursed.
Given the growing number of cases relating to this problem - and it seems the majority of cars affected are from 2015 - it seems prudent for Land Rover to recall all Discovery Models fitted with these aluminium bolts (as they have already done in one area of Canada) and replace them with non-corrosive alternatives. As the cars get older, it is likely that many more bolts will fail and it's only a matter of time before there's a really serious accident with life-threatening consequences. Can you imagine driving along a busy motorway at 70mph, overtaking in the wet and the steering suddenly totally fails? Doesn't bear thinking about! So if you have an apparently healthy Discovery Sport, I advise you to get the steering rack system thoroughly checked over.
Thank you, Richard.

I hope everyone has noted this and my previous comments regarding the rights to a free repair for goods which are not of satisfzctory quality.

Keep up the pressure by reporting fears of death and/or serious injury to the DVLA. If they have issued a safety recall over a sodding fuel gauge why the hell is Dept for Transoort still pussy footing around on something so obviously dangerous as jammed steering ? :evil:
Going - 2017 HSE 180 Corris Grey
Coming - BMW X5 45e

Richard63

Re: Power Steering Failure

Post by Richard63 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:37 pm

Thank you Trojan.

I have now sent DVSA a report about this matter and expressed my worries about the safety of the Land Rover Discovery Sport given the sudden failure of the power steering unit. I hope they take note and advise JLR to start a recall and thorough check.

Thank you Hannah.

I'm unable to reply privately as I've only just joined the forum and private messaging isn't allowed to very new members for some reason!

My garage - reputable Land Rover dealers who supplied and serviced the vehicle also said they weren't aware of the problem, although when I insisted that this was a growing issue and I wouldn't let it rest, nor would I pay for repairs, it suddenly seemed to jog selective memories!
They filled out a long form which they then sent to Land Rover by some internal computer system and they attached the extract from DiscoSportforums showing how common this problem was becoming, together with a photo of the motor and sheared bolts. Apparently it went for the attention of a lady called Susan who is the decision maker. The normal turnaround time for a decision is 48 hours. My dealer is Duckworth in Market Rasen Lincolnshire. Another dealer who was apparently successful in this matter (ie saving their client £2500) is Marshalls of Peterborough.
Be persistent! Good Luck!

County

Post by County » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:45 am

Can other members, who haven't suffered the failure, yet, report concerns to the DVLA?
:D B 1984 RR Vouge, Then BMW. Back to LR, H 1991 Disco 1, L 1993 Disco, N 1996 Disco, Y 2001 Disco, 53 Disco 2, 56 Disco 3
MY10 FL2 TD4 XS [Nav], MY13 FL2 TD4 GS Auto
MY15 DS SE Tech Auto Firenze Red 2.2 FL engine!

Rediscovery

Post by Rediscovery » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:20 am

Regarding Honest John, this is the independent web site of the Daily Telegraph's motoring columnist. He is well aware of the steering bolt issue and has already recorded several instances of failure in the Discovery Sport and Evoque "Good and Bad" sections. Keep the letters flowing because in the past media pressure has proved effective if it shames JLR into taking a more virtuous course of action, e.g. door pillar rattle. Also, emailing the executives such as Ralf Speth, Felix Brautigam and Rawdon Glover never does any harm.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/land-rover/discovery-sport-2015/good
https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/land-rover/range-rover-evoque-2011/good
[mailto:letters@honestjohn.co.uk]
17MY SE Tech White

WAllen1

Post by WAllen1 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:07 am

Hi,

I have a 2015 Discovery Sport with 60K on the clock. We have owned for circa a year and have put 10K on the clock in that time. We bought it off a reputable independent garage but not an authorised dealer. 2 weeks ago my wife lost steering control (with the kids in the back) and had to pull the car over and wait to be towed to a local garage where they told me the bolts that hold the steering motor had sheared off. Cue, doing some research and finding this thread, i contacted LR CRC and they advised me that they needed me to take it to an authorised dealar for them to diagnose the issue. £400 lighter (transport + dealer diagnostic check), the dealer also confirmed the same issue. A further phone call to LR CRC kickstarted the process and i was given a claim number and then asked some question e.g. where did I buy from , service history etc., previous LR purchases. I then went on holiday for a few days and heard nothing only to call the claim manager back on holiday to be told that they wouldn't be 'offering me any 'financial support' no matter how much I argued and quoted relevant items from this thread. The looming bill from Guy Salmon is £3.5K and i'm unsure whether the replacement would come with the same defective bolts meaning potentially i could be in the same position in 13 months time. I've been advised to threaten legal action and potentially take it up to the small claims court given the volume of evidence already in the ether. Any advice at this point would be very helpful.

Thanks

Trojan

Post by Trojan » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:05 pm

WAllen1 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:07 am
Any advice at this point would be very helpful.

Thanks
It's a known fault which you can prove was there at the time of purchase. JLR knows this too, but they're very short of cash at the moment, so don't want to get involved. Go back to the supplying dealer and demand that they fix it free of charge. If they refuse, leave the car at their premises, hand all the keys back and write them a formal letter of rejection. Get a lawyer if necessary, the costs will ultimately be paid by the other side when you win.

If the car is on finance proceed as above but address your correspondence to the lender (it's legally their property).

The repair will include some new parts (steering rack, possibly a new PAS motor etc...) and three new steel bolts, correctly protected against corrosion. There's no reason why the fault should recur after it has been properly fixed.

Write to DVSA with your safety concerns and let honestjohn about your wife's experience so it can be added to 87 other complaints about the DS. It might be worth writing to Watchdog because this predictable fault is sure to have a hyperbolic trajectory due to its generic, age-related nature.

While the world waits for JLR to locate some money and a conscience....
Dealers: "Don't resell one of these vehicles without replacing the aluminium bolts with new steel ones."
Buyers: " Don't buy one of these vehicles until the vendor vouches that the steering bolts have been replaced."

Otherwise, more £3K bills are guaranteed. But that's by no means the worst that could happen, as some of us with half an ounce of common sense have already realised.
Going - 2017 HSE 180 Corris Grey
Coming - BMW X5 45e

AHW2013

Post by AHW2013 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:37 pm

AHW2013 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:34 am
AHW2013 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:54 pm
65 reg Disco Sport. Drove 200+miles on Friday and all was fine. Came to go out on Saturday morning and the steering started whining horrendously, steering wheel shaking and juddering, and difficult to turn, before we had even pulled off the curb. Have got a video of this happening if it's of interest, but unable to add it on here. Stopped where we were and had to get it recovered back over the weekend. Land Rover have looked at it today and confirm that 'the steering rack mounting has sheared off'. Is this the same as the bolts breaking, as keeps being referred to on this thread? And any other tips for reducing the potential cost? It hasn't got an extended warranty as this ran out 3 months ago, and we haven't got round to renewing :cry:
Update on this. Bill has come through for new steering rack and associated parts. £2300++, (can't remember exact £+p). Needless to say it has been escalated to Land Rover by the dealer, to discuss reduction in the price.
Final update: Had work done last week, ended up with JLR agreeing to foot 80% of the final bill. Not 100% I agree, but better than nothing. The slight advantage of paying for part of the work means that we have now got 2 years warranty on the work, whereas if it had been replaced totally FOC it is classed as a replacement part and therefore you get no warranty.

WAllen1

Post by WAllen1 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:36 am

AHW2013 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:37 pm
AHW2013 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:34 am
AHW2013 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:54 pm
65 reg Disco Sport. Drove 200+miles on Friday and all was fine. Came to go out on Saturday morning and the steering started whining horrendously, steering wheel shaking and juddering, and difficult to turn, before we had even pulled off the curb. Have got a video of this happening if it's of interest, but unable to add it on here. Stopped where we were and had to get it recovered back over the weekend. Land Rover have looked at it today and confirm that 'the steering rack mounting has sheared off'. Is this the same as the bolts breaking, as keeps being referred to on this thread? And any other tips for reducing the potential cost? It hasn't got an extended warranty as this ran out 3 months ago, and we haven't got round to renewing :cry:
Update on this. Bill has come through for new steering rack and associated parts. £2300++, (can't remember exact £+p). Needless to say it has been escalated to Land Rover by the dealer, to discuss reduction in the price.
Final update: Had work done last week, ended up with JLR agreeing to foot 80% of the final bill. Not 100% I agree, but better than nothing. The slight advantage of paying for part of the work means that we have now got 2 years warranty on the work, whereas if it had been replaced totally FOC it is classed as a replacement part and therefore you get no warranty.
Hi - Would you mind revealing your reg so i can reference to LR CRC? Would ultimately help my cause. Thanks - Will

WAllen1

Post by WAllen1 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:21 am

Trojan wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:05 pm
WAllen1 wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:07 am
Any advice at this point would be very helpful.

Thanks
It's a known fault which you can prove was there at the time of purchase. JLR knows this too, but they're very short of cash at the moment, so don't want to get involved. Go back to the supplying dealer and demand that they fix it free of charge. If they refuse, leave the car at their premises, hand all the keys back and write them a formal letter of rejection. Get a lawyer if necessary, the costs will ultimately be paid by the other side when you win.

If the car is on finance proceed as above but address your correspondence to the lender (it's legally their property).

The repair will include some new parts (steering rack, possibly a new PAS motor etc...) and three new steel bolts, correctly protected against corrosion. There's no reason why the fault should recur after it has been properly fixed.

Write to DVSA with your safety concerns and let honestjohn about your wife's experience so it can be added to 87 other complaints about the DS. It might be worth writing to Watchdog because this predictable fault is sure to have a hyperbolic trajectory due to its generic, age-related nature.

While the world waits for JLR to locate some money and a conscience....
Dealers: "Don't resell one of these vehicles without replacing the aluminium bolts with new steel ones."
Buyers: " Don't buy one of these vehicles until the vendor vouches that the steering bolts have been replaced."

Otherwise, more £3K bills are guaranteed. But that's by no means the worst that could happen, as some of us with half an ounce of common sense have already realised.
Hi,

Just tried again to no avail - threatening legal action did nothing and unfortunately the supplying dealer is 500 miles away. Looks like i'm going to have to get it fixed and go down the small claims route to recover the money. Will