Re: Rear Disc replacement -- Brake maintenance Mode

Post by ntc » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:04 pm

Good vid well done
MY 2016.7 Hse Lux 180
UK

green genie

Post by green genie » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:43 pm

Surely its not a wise move to be jacking the car up under the towbar,? even temporarily. (assuming that you have one anyway!) Lifting the whole rear end of the car massively exceeds the limits recommended for it.
Built # March 2016, 180 HSE AINTREE GREEN / ALMOND.
7 Seats, no spare, removable tow bar factory fit. 19" wheels.
Panoramic roof.
Location Hampshire , England.
Bought @ Hunters , Southampton. :D

Comeinhandy

Post by Comeinhandy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:14 pm

green genie wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:43 pm
Surely its not a wise move to be jacking the car up under the towbar,? even temporarily. (assuming that you have one anyway!) Lifting the whole rear end of the car massively exceeds the limits recommended for it.
Since I installed the tow bar (see my other video on the same YouTube channel) then I can see how strong the tow bar is and how it is connected to the structural part of the body. It is fine to jack with this tow bar.

green genie

Post by green genie » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:37 pm

It may in your opinion be "O.K." to jack a car from a mid rear position on the tow bar. But to post this video and indirectly encourage others do likewise is extremely risky, there are designated lift points and other far more suitable alternatives. The saying "Be it on your head" might apply except it would not be your head it would be someone else"s. ( and yes I saw the stands placed later.)
I have many years experience as a an engineering instructor and mechanic, and this creates an extremely dangerous and unnecessary situation.
Built # March 2016, 180 HSE AINTREE GREEN / ALMOND.
7 Seats, no spare, removable tow bar factory fit. 19" wheels.
Panoramic roof.
Location Hampshire , England.
Bought @ Hunters , Southampton. :D

Gezza67

Post by Gezza67 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:07 pm

My DS has just had its first MOT (actually due 22.12.18) and already the rear brake discs were declared a 'fail' due to excessive corrosion. The pads had 4mm thickness and were replaced along with the discs. I approached JLR to claim on the car's three year warranty, which was declined due to 'wear and tear'. I have argued that the corrosion was not due to any wear as it appeared on the inside and therefore never came into contact with anything else!
Am I missing something here?
Gezza
DS HSE Lux MY2015 (65)

Comeinhandy

Post by Comeinhandy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:49 pm

A surprising reason for a fail, assuming that they still functioned ok. Discs will always corrode as they are steel items exposed to the weather all the time, it will be all the worse if the car isn’t used everyday to rub off the rust forming. Same on most cars. Warranty doesn't normally cover wear and tear items like brake pads and discs.

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:06 pm

On your fail sheet, did it say something along the lines of this?

Offside/Nearside Rear Brake discs worn, pitted or scored, and seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:03 pm

Comeinhandy wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:49 pm
A surprising reason for a fail, assuming that they still functioned ok. Discs will always corrode as they are steel items exposed to the weather all the time, it will be all the worse if the car isn’t used everyday to rub off the rust forming. Same on most cars. Warranty doesn't normally cover wear and tear items like brake pads and discs.
There's a problem with the DS discs, covered by a technical note, where they corrode excessively. It's either poor material or whatever braking duty they do isn't enough to keep them clear of rust.

Several people, quoting the rust, body judder and graunching noise (as specified in the technical note) have had them replaced under warranty, myself included at 25K miles / 2.5 years.

Others have been less fortunate with the dealer refusing to entertain a warranty replacement, or not even prepared to lookup the technical note.
MY19 P240 HSE (on order), Indus, Black Pack, Privacy, Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
MY16 HSE Black, Santorini, Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging.

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:24 pm

As above.

Dealers are allowed only so much warranty work each month - if they exceed their quota (which is usually the case) they will try and wriggle out of it.

This has happened to me this Autumn (same dealer as -9), and was only resolved after a heated discussion with the head of business there.

Stand your ground, and don't get fobbed off by service - if necessary demand an audience with the DP.

Finally, if you bought your vehicle Approved Used, then you will have 3 years MOT insurance as standard.
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Comeinhandy

Post by Comeinhandy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:47 pm

I read the technical note. It seems that they sometimes replace the disks under warranty due to more rust than expected. It still surprises me that they are that generous to change a rusted disc under warranty as they rust on all cars. Changing pads or disks, after 3 years, is not that unusual, depending on mileage and use.
I would be very surprised if an approved used warranty would cover wear and tear items like pads and disks. Those sorts of things have to be regularly changed as part of the servicing.

Return to “Faults & Technical”