Rear Disc replacement -- Brake maintenance Mode

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
mjj160

Rear Disc replacement -- Brake maintenance Mode

Post by mjj160 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:11 am

I need to change the rear discs on my 2017MY discovery sport, I know the rear EPB ( electric parking brake) needs to be in the Maintenance mode, so the brake unit retracts so that the brake piston can be pushed in.

The stealers would use a computer but I think there is another procedure using the brake lever and throttle etc, but tried a few combinations of these that I found on the internet, but these and does not work for my year of car.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

Mike

green genie

Re: Rear Disc replacement -- Brake maintenance Mode

Post by green genie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:29 am

er! Unless this is being done as a "performance upgrade" of some sort, is this not covered by the Warranty? more info needed from you perhaps?

P.S. Just noticed that you joined in 2016 and this is your first post, is it actually a 2017 car as stated.
Built # March 2016, 180 HSE AINTREE GREEN / ALMOND.
7 Seats, no spare, removable tow bar factory fit. 19" wheels.
Panoramic roof.
Location Hampshire , England.
Bought @ Hunters , Southampton. :D

mjj160

Post by mjj160 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:50 am

Green Genie.
I am wanting to change the rear discs as they are quite badly corroded, I got in touch with my landrover dealer who are Stratstones of Newcastle and the service manager told me that this is a known fault, but no re-calls were issued, instead its called a "campaign" which means that they will do sod all, unless the customer complains, to which I was. Next he tells me the changing of there parts under warranty is only good up to 20000 miles and as my vehicle has 28500 miles, then they classed it as wear and tear.
I expressed my dislike of there customer service,in the most strongest terms, then he said we can change them for me, for about £380 however I suspect the total bill will more likely start with a 4.
I have now purchased all the parts using Land Rover genuine parts for about £ 156 so a saving on there prices, and an easy job to do once I get the EPB retracted, hence the request for information, to see if anybody else has done this job.
Mike

Les

Post by Les » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:38 pm

Mike,
The problem is with Stratstone as there are loads of posts on here regarding the work being carried out under warranty, even with high mileage. The thing to also mention is that they are noisy.
Had no probs with mine, booked in and courtesy car provided, there is quite a large post further down regarding brakes.
2015 HSE Lux, Auto, 5+2, Kaikoura Stone/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony Windsor 10 way seats, 20 inch 511 Wheels, Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Privacy Glass, InControlTM, Service Pack, Williams ceramic coating

Oldsurfdude

Post by Oldsurfdude » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:04 pm

Mine are being replaced under warranty, and they admitted it was a known problem.
Car is only 18 months old and 20k on the clock!
How can they fob off a customer if it is a known problem?
Shouldn’t appear in the spec of the car.... brakes are s@#t.... along with all the other known issues!!
DS HSE 2016 with HD towbar kit (5 seats and full size spare!)
Privacy glass and foot rails
Scotia Grey
Worcestershire

green genie

Post by green genie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi Mjj160 . I had mine replaced a few weeks ago and combined it for convenience with the 21,000m 2 yr service, it had 20,500 on it at the time. there was no charge for the brake discs, pads or related labour. I gather it is best to claim a grating noise is present when reporting the fault!
Complain very loudly but politely, This is a VERY well documented warranty replacement.,

Remember a "self fix" may well invalidate that warranty.
Built # March 2016, 180 HSE AINTREE GREEN / ALMOND.
7 Seats, no spare, removable tow bar factory fit. 19" wheels.
Panoramic roof.
Location Hampshire , England.
Bought @ Hunters , Southampton. :D

mjj160

Post by mjj160 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:22 am

After reading everything on this forum and have taken some of its advise, I once again got in touch with Stratstone of Newcastle, but this time got in touch with the senior service manager, and explained the situation, he said the mileage on my car may be a problem
(28500) but he would pass my photos on to the warranty guy, for his decision. Since I had not heard anything back from them by 3:00 yesterday afternoon, I emailed them and asked them as to what progress had been made, and also enclosed a paragraph from the LR website to show to the warranty Guy
STANDARD MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY
Your new Land Rover comes complete with the reassurance of an unlimited mileage, three-year manufacturer’s warranty, providing free repairs and roadside assistance.

Therefore I said should not matter what the mileage is !!

Got an email back within 30mins asking me when I would like to book it in for the discs and pads to be changed as a warranty claim.
Just goes to show, do not be put off with there first comments and keep plugging away at them.

Thanks All

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:29 am

Glad to hear you have got it resolved finally mjj - my only disappointment is that a) Stratstone still represent JLR in some corners, although thankfully not many anymore, and b) that their appalling attitude towards customers still prevails.

You should NOT have to go through this dance whenever there is a known fault with your vehicle, particularly when it is still under warranty, and I would urge you to consider changing your dealer for future servicing and repairs.

All the best.
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Haggis

Post by Haggis » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:57 pm

Hi all
Is there a way to release the electronic handbrake for the fit mechanic.
Disco is on for warranty work at present and also the back brakes but going by other rear brake posts it looks highly unlikely that they will change mine under warranty. I will argue but in the end will do them myself if I get no where.
Thanks
AwTheBest

Haggis

SE Tech MY2016 black with grey roof and wheels

ntc

Post by ntc » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:04 pm

Not a wise thing to do but? put in N leave the engine running and you can do the job in less than one hour.
MY 2016.7 Hse Lux 180
UK

Return to “Faults & Technical”