Rev-matching downshifts on DS with the 9-speed ZF gearbox

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Chippy

Re: Rev-matching downshifts on DS with the 9-speed ZF gearbox

Post by Chippy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:19 pm

I’m with you there Dashnine.

On my DS cars and the current Evoque I’ve never experienced any problems and, as I’ve said on here before, it’s one of the best I’ve ever used.
Evoque MY18 TD4 SE 180hp. Loire Blue.
DS MY17 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Aintree Green.
DS MY16 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Corris Grey.

weemark

Post by weemark » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:29 pm

I did say it's a marmite gearbox!! ;)

PaulCP

Post by PaulCP » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:54 pm

I'm with Dashnine & Chippy, no problem at all with the gearbox on the one we recently had & it was better than the 8sp box on our previous RRS

With all the different impressions given about it on here I did start to play around with it a bit. My conclusion, it responds very well to gentle inputs but start to push the go pedal harder and it does get upset. When you feel it lurching back off a little & it recovers.

Now for the contentious bit, maybe there is something in the "driving style" point of view. Driving by feel definitely pays dividends but also the dynamic mode setting did change the gearbox behaviour for the better & I maintain that it should be a standard fit on the DS
Now: Lexus RX 450h F Sport + Premier Pack
GONE Jan 2018:- HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras,

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:57 pm

It would be interesting to see the various software updates and who has had which update for folks on here . But I guess that's hidden unless you connect and gain the info from the vehicle systems.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:01 pm

I’m not sure it would lead anywhere. and anyway you’d also need to know what software updates were supposed to be for.
Evoque MY18 TD4 SE 180hp. Loire Blue.
DS MY17 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Aintree Green.
DS MY16 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Corris Grey.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Yes chippy , there's just such a wide marmite opinion it's certainly odd. I chose a manual as the DS I test drive was jerky at round abouts and hesitated.
But that was back in the day before the software update that was issued when the gearbox also decided to go into Neutral and say select gear. The salesman with me on the test drives face just dropped.

However the fix was a software change to resolve a faulty hardware crimp fault . It may be that those that have had this update get a different view than those that have a later gearbox that doesn't have this software fix.

Looking at those that dislike the box , this thought doesn't seem to stand up to scrutiny though as some disappointed folk bought well after this fix was produced.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:15 pm

There is also a delay in the manual even if you drop a gear then push to overtake, it thinks for a second then shoots away. I don't think it's all gearbox.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Return to “Faults & Technical”