Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
EYR

Re: DPF Fault !!!!!

Post by EYR » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:59 am

popsky wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:47 pm
EYR wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:48 pm
Surely it has to be a component failure, if it's down to driving style then I'm a candidate but I have had no problem (so far).
I drive annually towing in Europe, with this year about 2700 miles in 10 weeks so no problem there, but between October and April I take the dog for a walk travelling about 2 miles from home twice a day, fish and chips on a Wednesday 1 mile, bowls twice a week 3 miles. Being retired now, short journeys are all I do for most of the year and so far I have had no complaints in the DPF department, so what's different between mine and any other :? :?
I’m going to say this with my fingers tightly crossed and hoping I don’t preempt any further DPF problems but since the DPF replacement last September I’ve been using super diesel, I know there’s a lot of scepticism regarding such like but previous to this I only used cheap supermarket fuel, as I say fingers crossed I’ve had no more problems in that department
Must admit that other than the long trip abroad each year, I also use the more expensive diesel when in the UK. Purely because knowing I am doing short trips I'll grab at any straw to maybe help me out with any DPF problem that may come my way.
Santorini black DS 180 MY16 Auto, Xenons, Electric deployable towball, Rear camera and new non rattly tailgate struts.

ducatimally

Post by ducatimally » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:52 pm

Anyone else any experience of having the DPF cleaned? I've a guy booked in tomorrow to do mine for £169 (which is cheaper than the LR cost of diagnosis for £180) - and there's no charge if it don't work. No brainer?
DS 2.0 TDi SE Tech, Corris Grey, MY16 - soon to be gone thanks to appalling "aftercare"

popsky

Post by popsky » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:18 pm

ducatimally wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:52 pm
Anyone else any experience of having the DPF cleaned? I've a guy booked in tomorrow to do mine for £169 (which is cheaper than the LR cost of diagnosis for £180) - and there's no charge if it don't work. No brainer?
I’d be very interested in the results
MY17 2.0 ingenium 180 9 speed HSE Luxury Diesel

Phil
West Somerset

Oberautobahnjäger………… :mrgreen:

aquascape

Post by aquascape » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:32 pm

I messaged BBC Watchdog with regard to issues i have had with my DPF filter and the fact they replaced the first one under warranty admitting a software fault causing no amber light but refusing to replace the second failure under warranty despite exactly the same issues and want £1759 from me with no guarantee it will last any longer than a few hundred miles!

BBC watchdog are aware of dpf issues and are considering running a topic on dpf filters in their next series (not just land rover ones) if they have enough complaints from people so if you have had issues report it to them here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact
Discovery Sport HSE Luxury MY16 180 DieselCorris Grey, Black Pack, Side Steps, Paddleshift
Retrofitted Rear Headrest DVD Screens

ducatimally

Post by ducatimally » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:55 pm

Quick update on my DPF Filter situation - I have a result!

As luck would have it, the guy coming out to do the filter clean let me down on Saturday morning and didn't answer his phone Mon. a.m. to re-arrange. Later Mon. a.m., the dealer contacted me and on instruction from Land Rover CRC, asked me to drop the car in to them so the codes could be read, so a "claim" could be considered (no £180 diagnosis charge). To cut a long story short, JLR CRC have made a "1 off gesture of goodwill" and replaced my DPF filter completely F.O.C. No haggling, no arguing - and remember I was 8 days out of warranty. Picked my car back up today - completed, no invoice.

Credit where credit is due and thank you Land Rover CRC. I just wish the dealers would be more helpful in trying to fight our corner (after all they are in a win - win situation) - the brand and dealer loyalty would be greatly improved.
DS 2.0 TDi SE Tech, Corris Grey, MY16 - soon to be gone thanks to appalling "aftercare"

pcheaven

Post by pcheaven » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:20 am

Barnsh wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:37 pm
Here's how the system works for those that haven't seen it

IMG_2511.PNG
IMG_2512.PNG
IMG_2513.PNG
IMG_2514.PNG

Just read this., great info.

Very interesting, perhaps this document should have a sticky thread and be locked to prevent comments

Edit by Barnsh as hyperlinks don’t work.:
Link to above files further back in this thread.

https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=672&start=70#p75034
Orange DS HSE +toys
Gone : 2019 I Pace first edition
Gone : Velar D300 r dynamic HSE plus toys
Gone : D5 HSE Lux + a few toys
Gone : MY17 DS HSE Dynamic Lux with all the toys
Gone : Orange MY15 HSE

Gwalker124

Post by Gwalker124 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:45 pm

Hi everyone

So I am having the same issue as everyone else on here.

Bought a 2017 plate disco in November last year and had nothing but problems with it. It’s been in the garage about once a month since buying with dpf issues and other related sensor issues.

The dpf finally gave up last month and was replaced under warranty however it has now gone again and JLR won’t cover the cost of replacing even though it’s under warranty.

My girlfriend took the car out today and cleared the amber warning. It cleared and went green but 10 minutes up the road it went straight to red. How can this be possible if it’s been cleared, then goes straight to red.

We’ve previously had the amber warning going from amber to red within seconds and then switching the car off and on again and then the warning lights totally go. It’s been one thing after another with this car and jlr just want to ‘fix’ the current issue rather than fixing the under lying issue causing the constant problems.

I am seriously considering taking this up with the motoring ombudsman as it’s clear there is an underlying issue with the car and it’s nothing to do with driving style. Has anyone had any luck taking the issue up with them?

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:22 am

Edited hyperlink to add link to png files that could not be accessed as a comment.
Sadly in closing teddy bears report I deleted his last post 🙄...sorry teddybear!
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

CRC@LandRover

Post by CRC@LandRover » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:19 am

Gwalker124 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:45 pm
Hi everyone

So I am having the same issue as everyone else on here.

Bought a 2017 plate disco in November last year and had nothing but problems with it. It’s been in the garage about once a month since buying with dpf issues and other related sensor issues.

The dpf finally gave up last month and was replaced under warranty however it has now gone again and JLR won’t cover the cost of replacing even though it’s under warranty.

My girlfriend took the car out today and cleared the amber warning. It cleared and went green but 10 minutes up the road it went straight to red. How can this be possible if it’s been cleared, then goes straight to red.

We’ve previously had the amber warning going from amber to red within seconds and then switching the car off and on again and then the warning lights totally go. It’s been one thing after another with this car and jlr just want to ‘fix’ the current issue rather than fixing the under lying issue causing the constant problems.

I am seriously considering taking this up with the motoring ombudsman as it’s clear there is an underlying issue with the car and it’s nothing to do with driving style. Has anyone had any luck taking the issue up with them?
Good Morning Gwalker124

Thank you for your post.

I am sorry to learn of your recent experience with your vehicle.

As a result, I would like to take the opportunity to investigate your concerns further, and determine if there is any way in which I can assist you.

If you wish for me to do this, then please may I request that you send the following information via PM:

Your Vehicle Identification Number
Your personal contact details

Should you have any other questions relating to your comments, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Many thanks

Dan - Jaguar UK

TeddyBear

Post by TeddyBear » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:21 am

The deck is stacked against you at the Motor Ombudsman; it is owned by the manufacturers' and car vendors' association SMMT and one of the top posts is held by a former Director of Customer Services at JLR. They will drag out your case for a year and the phrase "thick as thieves" springs to mind. Hopefully you have finance on your car, in which case take your complaint to the financial ombudsman where you stand a much better chance of achieving fairness and a successful outcome. Failing that you should obtain legal advice and prepare for battle with the dealer. If it was a main dealer you can also take your complaint to CRC. (Since I wrote that sentence Dan has stepped in but I wouldn't expect too much from JLR, based on what others have posted.)

Diesel versions of these cars have a systemic fault which is responsible for higher than normal diesel dilution (plus DPF blockage and several other faults) if they are used in rural and urban driving scenarios. What's more, the manufacturer and its dealers knew about this when the cars were sold new so they had a responsibility to enquire into intended vehicle usage for every sale of a diesel Evoque, DS or E-Pace. If drivers weren't asked about their intended usage prior to sale it is very likely that misrepresentation occurred in those cases where faults showed up subsequently due to "driving style". The Misrepresentation Act 1967 gives owners a right to rescind a contract founded on such a misrepresentation and damages can also be awarded, even if the dealer claims he didn't know that rural or urban driving would cause problems.

Any car that suffers DPF-related problems due to "driving style" could be rejected under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as "not of satisfactory quality", "not fit for purpose" or "not as described" unless the vendor can show that the purchaser was asked about their driving style and then knowingly disregarded the dealer's advice and guidance which they were required to provide as perJLR's letter describing the known problems.

[url=https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=5997]JLRP00100[/url]
[url=https://www.discosportforums.co.uk/download/file.php?id=9522]Letter to dealers[/url]

I am not seeing these links properly as the BC code doesn't appear to be working for newly posted hyperlinks. Is it just me?
Last edited by TeddyBear on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Faults & Technical”