DPF Fault !!!!!

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
timhum

Re: DPF Fault !!!!!

Post by timhum » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:55 pm

Anyone got an idea as to why the F Pacwe forums don't seem to be reporting this problem with their 2.0 cars?
Tim
Tim
HSE auto, replaced with a RRS HSE 3.0d

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:40 pm

timhum wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:55 pm
Anyone got an idea as to why the F Pacwe forums don't seem to be reporting this problem with their 2.0 cars?
Tim
Because their engines are an 'in-line' installation, where there is room alongside the engine for the emissions hardware (so there is more heat for the process).

In the DS the engines are transversly installed with no room between the engine and bulkhead so the equipment is under the car (and colder). Apologies for the abbreviation of the situation.
HSE Black MY16 (180 Ingenium), Santorini Black, Ebony Memory Seats, Black Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging. Golf GT Convertible and Mini First complete the family.

timhum

Post by timhum » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:02 pm

Thanks for the clear explanation.
Tim
Tim
HSE auto, replaced with a RRS HSE 3.0d

Karwomann

Post by Karwomann » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:09 am

Is yours an automatic MMA? My dealer insists their issues have only come with manuals. Mine is in the workshop still 6weeks later and I’m in a courtesy car which has been fine. They’ve said I can have a refund minus 40p mile or pay more to have an automatic which I say shouldn’t happen as the manual should work!
I’m thinking about changing to a petrol Peugeot 5008.

MMAA101

Post by MMAA101 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:08 pm

Mine is manual. When we rejected the car and Bedford Marshall cannot give us the colour we want and cannot assure us that we won’t get the same issues- we opted for the petrol as the replacement car. Our way to get rid of the issue. Am I right you’ve rejected the car by now? I used 6 diesel automatic courtesy cars - same driving style, I didn’t get any warning light at any point.

I can’t generalise that it’s juat manual, even though on the ssm they sent out it stated manual - since from what I’ve been reading, the over all design and positioning of the dpf is a fault on its own on Disco sport.

More technical gurus here would be able to shed more light.

Karwomann

Post by Karwomann » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:17 pm

I’m still thinking about it but if I change to a different make of car I’ll be without one for a while. I wouldn’t be able to change to petrol because of the price difference. I’ve been told that to change to an automatic of the same spec I’d have to pay an extra £5k.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:22 am

Theres only a small difference between the manual and automatic due to the revs when driving. Some folks on here think it’s because in a manual you tend to drive in a higher gear quicker so the engine doesn’t rev as much.

The decision to go petrol if your doing short trips most of the time is the right one.

If you’re only doing short trips going from manual diesel to an automatic diesel still might not be enough, and perhaps not the right thing to do.

There are some folks with the automatic that have DPF issues too.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

MMAA101

Post by MMAA101 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:19 am

Karwomann, I would think you are somehow in a better position with the way your dealer is handling this. They are quite receptive about your issue and is opening the option for you to change to petrol. We came to the decision to go for petrol after being told that our supposed “like-for-like” replacement car will be in order anyway and we’d be starting a new contract too. Guess what, LR Finance is using that decision to go for petrol as part of their defence saying we should have been in a new car by End September. What a way to wriggle out of the problem.
We then gave them a thread of messages between us and the dealer wihich include chasing emails, and that by 5th of September the dealer hasn’t given us the details required on how the transfer will happen; and one saying cars ordered at that period will be delivered by mid Dec- early Jan.

Oh another good thing about your dealer, they are caring enough to not leave you stranded and clearly letting you use a courtesy car. Our courtesy car was rudely taken despite a clear agreement with the servicing LR garage that we would stay on it until everything gets settled. As we didn’t know that they took the car from our driveway, we had reported it to the police as “stolen” . Whole neighbourhood got stressed that a car will be stolen in our quiet and close-knit area.

Took hours after our call to report to LR that the car was missing that they admitted that it was LR who took it.

And they were saying that the requirement for us to get a courtesy car reinstated was... authorise the DPF repair 😤🤯🤯.

Hope you would be able to see light at the end of the tunnel.

Karwomann

Post by Karwomann » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:29 am

Wow I can’t believe they took your car like that!!!
Yes the dealer has been very good. They’re kind of using my car as a test car. They’ve replaced the whole filter but are still not happy with the soot collecting so are not prepared to give it back. So they’ve offered to give me a partial refund or I can pay more for a new automatic. I was quite surprised they expected money when they’d said the manual diesel wasn’t right for me.
I’m not in a position to pay more so I either keep waiting till my car is fixed or get the refund and walk away. My petrol car would have to be a completely different make as the LR one more expensive than mine and I can’t pay any more.
I’m going to test drive a petrol Peugeot 5008. When I went to look last week the dealer straight away asked about my mileage.
Gutted though as I love the DS in many ways but I need something reliable.

green genie

Post by green genie » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:33 am

Getting back to the D.P.F. If the inline engined cars ( Jags ), do not have these problems, would it not be a solution to wrap the filter in heat proof insulation and therefore keep it hotter and therefore more efficient ? or is that too obvious for L.R.
Second point, what effect does the stop/ start have when heat is obviously lost during the time that the engine is stationary, and subsequently needs longer to get back up to temperature.
Built # March 2016, 180 HSE AINTREE GREEN / ALMOND.
7 Seats, no spare, removable tow bar factory fit. 19" wheels.
Panoramic roof.
Location Hampshire , England.
Bought @ Hunters , Southampton. :D

Return to “Faults & Technical”