Discovery Sport Forum banner

DPF Fault !!!!!

303K views 577 replies 129 participants last post by  Ray C 
#1 ·
Driving home tonight and the car went into limp mode. Phoned LR Assist - they dispatched the AA, AA turn up and run a diagnostic check which shows a DPF fault. Fault cleared, car working again, will chase LR for a replacement tomorrow.

#3 ·
Hi. I would be interested to hear how this works out. I'm not a Discovery owner but was hoping to become 1. All that will put me off is the DPF problem as the car would be used primarily on short journeys and as we already have an XF 3ltr diesel which I have to use sparingly because of the DPF, I don't want another diesel. I was hoping JLR would put 1 of the new petrol engines they are planning to use in the XE and new XF, but not yet apparently. I was also hoping DPF technology would have improved since 2009-my XF is a 59 reg-but maybe not, given your problem. How are other owners managing-is the DPF a problem, or are you managing to get the right sort of journeys done to keep it healthy?

Keith

#6 ·
We had a 3.0S XF Jaguar where this was a continual problem and so got rid of the car. We've also run an Evoque with the same 2.2 engine as the DS for nearly three years with a real mix of short and longer distance driving and never had any problem. So far we've covered 1200 miles in the DS with no issue. As an aside my wife has just ordered a new Polo and the advice from the salesman was that if you are to do mostly short journeys they recommended the purchase of a petrol engined car.

#7 ·
I think I'll try to see what others report on DPF issues for a while longer but my thinking at the moment is to find something with a petrol engine in it to replace my wife's car and keep the XF for what it's built for. That probably means we won't be getting a Discovery any time soon unless JLR have a change of heart which is disappointing. Surely there's a better way to get rid of diesel soot than setting fire to it but pending some wonderful invention I would have thought there would be enough demand for a petrol engined Discovery Sport to warrant making 1 available.

#8 ·
As no one else has reported this I think it is too early to draw conclusions and just a niggle on the original posters car. I've got a XF with the 2.2 engine and are a member of two XF forums no major problems with the DPF have being reported and mine has being perfect.

#9 ·
My journeys in the car have been 4 x 90 mile trips and then numerous trips of 35 miles with very little around town driving. I am hoping that it was a one of glitch. Other than that, the car is awesome!

#11 ·
I think more to do with heating the exhaust and DPF system up properly so it burns clean and avoids potential issues. Not sure how they cope in places like Iceland where surely the exhaust doesn't heat up for months in a row. I never had DPF issues on my 2.2TD4 Evoque but did put the "pedal to the metal" at least once every few weeks

#12 ·
My understanding is that for the DPF to fully regenerate it needs to reach a critical temperature and stay there for some time. That's why a trip along a stretch of motorway is often recommended, the higher speed results in higher exhaust temperature and 20/25 miles gives a decent regeneration time. Outside temperature is not critical to this as it doesn't reduce the combustion temperature of the engine.

#13 ·
Surely the DPF is located in the exhaust end of the engine :oops:

Please set me straight on this as I have a picture of the DPF in my head underneath the car like the CAT ?

#15 ·
I already posted my problem with my DS ( a 4TD AUT HSE Scotia Grey !) but I see now the DPF fault discussion so......................

Some days ago suddenly after a trip of 120 km mainly highway speed 120 km average the car went into linp mode with warning red triangle and the message Reduced Power. Today at the dealership the fault was logged in the system as a DPF fault. The mechanic overruled the problem and cleaned the DPF ? Test drive of 15 minutes and all done. Next time he said he has to contact LR about the problem.

All was logged in the service manual I understand. Is there something elese I have to do or do'nt ??

#16 ·
This is rather strange. The DPF (Deisel Particulate Filter) captures particulates and then on a sustained run between 50 and 70 mph for around 15-20 mins injects some Deisel into the filter to burn off the particulates in a less harmful manner. If it doesn't get to a high enough temp then it aborts the cleaning and if this happens a few times it will restrict the engine performance.
It sounds to me like there is a sensor problem in your case and not related to regeneration as the speed and duration should have been fine for regeneration, unless you were unlucky in timing.
The XFs had a real issue with DPFs blocking but many issues were resolved with the facelift. The bigger issue with the XFs seems to be around failure of the ducting before the DPF allowing air in and hence incomplete regeneration.
I hope you don't have any further issues!

#17 ·
I've not had problems with the DPF on any of my LRs so far. I do a lot of short journeys but I always take it for a good run at least once a month to ensure it regenerates properly.

#18 ·
Hi All

First post and as per the thread title not a great one. Picked car up friday. Drove to London saturday morning, then after 10 miles of return, limped the rest rest of the way back on restricted performance. The dealer has given me a loan car and today a phone call to say its a faulty dpf sensor that they have ordered but cannot tell me when it will arrive ATM. My trump card (if you want to call it that) mileage when delivered back to dealer 258! (around 90 miles after fault so lets be generous and say 175 miles)

#21 ·
We drive a lot around town just about everyday but do go up and down the motorway for about 40 miles every weekend. The car has done1500 miles and not a problem with the DPF so far (finger crossed!).

#22 ·
When I bought the DS in April 2015 after 125 a DPF fault and I limped home. Dealer reset and it must be no problem anymore.

Last saterdaynight on my way to southern France (1200KM) altready after 60 km the DPF fault kicked in again and after interference by LR assistance a technician came resetted the system and we were on the road again. The erroc code was P244A (Diesel Particulate Filter differential pressure too low)

The DS is booked after return in NL and I assume the sensor need to be replaced. Hopefully LR can clear this problem for ever otherwise I bought the wrong car :oops:

#23 ·
Just got my 2.2 back after being in the dealership for a week. 8,000 miles, 70% motorway, 6 months old. It went in to reduced performance mode at 70mph on the M25 and slowed to 50 mph. Red warning and told by LR Assist to stop immediately. 3 hours at the side of the motorway before being told to drive it back to my local dealer 100 miles away by attending technician. DFP replaced. 3rd issue and not happy!

#24 ·
A good long journey at optimum operating temperatures will allow a full DPF region cycle to be completed where all the carbon build-up in the DPF will be burned off thus improving efficiency.

#25 ·
studioph said:
When I bought the DS in April 2015 after 125 a DPF fault and I limped home. Dealer reset and it must be no problem anymore.

Last saterdaynight on my way to southern France (1200KM) altready after 60 km the DPF fault kicked in again and after interference by LR assistance a technician came resetted the system and we were on the road again. The erroc code was P244A (Diesel Particulate Filter differential pressure too low)

The DS is booked after return in NL and I assume the sensor need to be replaced. Hopefully LR can clear this problem for ever otherwise I bought the wrong car :oops:
Sounds like a simple DPF DP sensor fail, suggesting DPF is removed as no DP. Should a simple sensor replacement. These things happen... and most likely when components are quite new. I wouldn't condemn a car for these minor issues.

#26 ·
anyone have idea when this DPF regeneration process takes place in DS. I mean is this process initiated for each drive or when DPF is full then this process expects long drive to start the and dissolve the particles. Because it is often confusing that only people make long trip can use diesel engine without any trouble with DPF. others forced to go with only Petrol. I have ordered diesel one , but not sure whether this DPF will create a problem with my style of driving (mixed short n long drive) .