Diesel Exhaust Fluid Dosing Malfunction

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Barnsh

Re: Diesel Exhaust Fluid Dosing Malfunction

Post by Barnsh » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:19 am

cibaris wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:58 am
I have a 16 plate discovery sport and I am still trying to discover what all the fuss is about. Yup worst car ever
Hi
Do you have this fault too?
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

sodum

Post by sodum » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:29 pm

Out for a drive today and "No Engine Restarts in 540 miles. Diesel Exhaust Fluid Dosing Malfunction." pops up out of nowhere. Oh great! - considering its less than a week to Christmas and I'm booked to be the 'taxi' for my 94 year old mother-in-law over the holidays. With luck I should have enough 'miles' to get through the xmas and new year period before my engine locks me out! I immediately head for home, to 'save' miles. I stop for lunch at a local country pub. On re-starting the fault message has cleared!! I'm shown that I have 4225 mls worth of DEF still in the tank.

Now do I trust it? Is LR Assist cover available over Xmas / New Year?
MY16.5, SE Tech, 180, Auto, Loire Blue/Cirrus

Woolmeister

Post by Woolmeister » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:42 pm

I believe LR Assist work 24 x 7.

In my case, the fault was caused by a snapped wiring loom to the Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) injector. Not massively reassuring for a vehicle designed to spend time off road.

Suggest you press the button in the roof and have a chat with LR Assist to see what they say. They may send somebody out to look at it; they may not. At least you've reported the fault to them.

Steve
17MY HSE Auto 180 in Carpathian Grey with Ebony Leather, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails, and Row 2 USB.
Stereophonic B Pillar Ticking (No Cost Option) and a horrendous auto box.
DISCO3.CO.UK Member - Trying a DS for a while - Meh
MINI Cooper D Convertible

msflsim

Post by msflsim » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:23 pm

My 2017 DS HSE LUX just got this message. 7000 miles, had a service at 6000 before being sold.

Diesel exhaust fluid dosing malfunction, no engine restarts in 540 miles. LR engineer came out today and below is his report.

CONCERN RAISED FOR EML/MIL DISPLAYING ON IPC - COMPLETED RELEVANT CHECKS: P2047-13 STORED IN PCM - COMPLETED RELEVANT CHECKS/EXPOSED DEF INJECTOR HARNESS - CONFIRMED VISIBLE SECTION OF HARNESS INTACT - REQUIRES RETAILER ATTENTION FOR FURTHER CHECKS/CORRECT LEVEL OF REPAIR, EITHER WIRING OR DEF INJECTOR FAULT SUSPECTED

I am yet to book it with the dealer as unsure how long they'll take..
MY17 HSE Luxury Loire Blue

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:23 pm

Why would you be booking it in to a dealer may I ask?

Surely if LR Assist turned up as you say, they would have had it recovered to a dealer and a loan car supplied there and then. What exactly did LRA say that they were going to do for you, the customer? Are you actually in the UK as an aside?
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

msflsim

Post by msflsim » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:50 pm

The technician submitted the report to the nearest dealer to me and advised to have it booked in and that they would see his report. I wasn't aware he should've recovered the car and supplied a loan car. According to his report, he checked the message, inspected what he could and based on that wasn't able to fix it so it has to go in..

I am in the UK
Badgerface wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:23 pm

Surely if LR Assist turned up as you say, they would have had it recovered to a dealer and a loan car supplied there and then. What exactly did LRA say that they were going to do for you, the customer? Are you actually in the UK as an aside?

msflsim

Post by msflsim » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:36 pm

Diesel Exhaust Fluid Dosing Malfunction has been fixed on MY17 with 7400 miles and was due to a broken wire. Took them two days.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:59 pm

msflsim wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:50 pm
The technician submitted the report to the nearest dealer to me and advised to have it booked in and that they would see his report. I wasn't aware he should've recovered the car and supplied a loan car. According to his report, he checked the message, inspected what he could and based on that wasn't able to fix it so it has to go in..

I am in the UK
Badgerface wrote:

Was it actually landrover assist or the AA ( they try to use) that turned up?
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

msflsim

Post by msflsim » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:15 pm

It was LRA that came (Silver van with LR logo on the sides) but the emailed report came from @aa.com. When I asked about this I was told that AA is handling all communication and was assured that the technician was in fact from LRA.
Barnsh wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:59 pm
msflsim wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:50 pm

I am in the UK
Badgerface wrote:

Was it actually landrover assist or the AA ( they try to use) that turned up?

carwhiz

Post by carwhiz » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:52 am

Hi all,
Here is my experience with this, which may be helpful. I got this message on my MY2017 DS with 40,000km on the clock last Friday, with my son driving, halfway into a 500km trip from Sydney to Guyra on a backroad. See attached photo. It said "No engine restarts in 870km. Diesel exhaust fluid dosing malfunction".
I called the service department at my LR dealership in Sydney, and they advised that the 870km figure would reduce rapidly, and that once it fell to zero I would not be able to restart the engine. Their advice was to park, and they would tow me back to their workshop, the most probable causes being a broken wiring harness or a malfunction of the DEF injector. When I said I was 200km from Sydney, they advised me to call Roadside Assistance instead. However, roadside assistance were not interested as the vehicle had 'not been immobilised' yet.
We decided to press on (really we had not other option) to the next town, Walcha, about 120 km away. While passing through that town I got enough internet connectivity to read through the entries on this thread, and was encouraged to read the one from sodum, who had parked at a pub after getting the message, and returned to his vehicle to find it (the message) gone! I hoped that that would also apply in our case.
At the next town, Armidale, we decided to change drivers for the remainder of the trip without stopping the engine. As I got in though, I absent-mindedly pressed the engine start button, which of course stopped it. Worried that the vehicle might not start again, I quickly pressed it once more and the engine started. To my relief the message had gone. I checked for any warnings under 'Vehicle Information', but there were none. The message has not reappeared, 600km later. So it appears to have been a computer glitch.

MSG.png

Return to “Faults & Technical”