Diesel Exhaust Fluid Dosing Malfunction

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
sodum

Re: Diesel Exhaust Fluid Dosing Malfunction

Post by sodum » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:21 pm

Hi Carwhiz ....Sodum here.
Pleased to hear my post gave you a little comfort ...unfortunately, from my experience it will only be temporary. The warnings will keep popping up at regular intervals ...but on the upside, they do continue to reset after stopping and re-starting the engine. I continued driving this way for some 3 months - noticing that my Adblue usage had dropped to zero! The dealer had it in twice and failed to find a fault. I had to 'insist' they look a little harder ...and told them that this forum suggested it was a broken wire to the DEF injector. Sure enough broken wire eventually found!
MY16.5, SE Tech, 180, Auto, Loire Blue/Cirrus

carwhiz

Post by carwhiz » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:02 pm

Hi Sodum,
Thanks for letting me know that the message reappeared in your case. It sounds then as if I should have the issue looked at. There is another reason to take it in - the start/stop works very infrequently (a few times a month) despite being 'fixed' by the provision of a new battery (under warranty) at the last service. It worked for a week after the service and then stopped working.
By the way, when you say that your Adblue usage dropped to zero, I'm intrigued to know how one can gauge the Adblue usage. How do you do that?
Thanks

MMAA101

Post by MMAA101 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:38 am

HI Carwhiz, Please be wary of this situation. DS has several cases where a report or warning will appear, then would appear to be fine BUT. Next thing you know the car won’t start or on limp mode. Don’t continue to use it, make sure LR dealer, LRA are aware that the original warning came out and what transpired. Take photo that it cleared. Put everything in writing.

It happened to me on a different warning, then next thing I know the car went limp and LR was saying that I drove the car whilst damaged. (Mine was DPF amber light which physically cleared and turned off, days after wth no warning- RED engine warning appeared. What I missed was taking a photo that there was no warning after the whole process of filter system cleared... how would I have known that I needed to do that back then. Anyway, LR doesn’t want to honour warranty on our then 8 mos old DS, and wants me to pay service for £1700 something, despite the fact that very same car is known to have historical DPF issues (in fact rejected and was in the process of replacement and under extended warranty).

Just keep those photos, they might become handy later on.

carwhiz

Post by carwhiz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 am

Thanks for the warning MMAA101. Sorry to hear of your bad experience.
Will definitely take another photo of current cleared status, and let LR know.

sodum

Post by sodum » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:08 pm

carwhiz wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:02 pm
Hi Sodum,
Thanks for letting me know that the message reappeared in your case. It sounds then as if I should have the issue looked at. There is another reason to take it in - the start/stop works very infrequently (a few times a month) despite being 'fixed' by the provision of a new battery (under warranty) at the last service. It worked for a week after the service and then stopped working.
By the way, when you say that your Adblue usage dropped to zero, I'm intrigued to know how one can gauge the Adblue usage. How do you do that?
Thanks
Hi Carwhiz ...to check your AdBlue usage (and miles to service) you just need to press the start button WITHOUT pressing the foot brake. Let the car go through it's initial checks then press the 'OK' button on the steering wheel - this will show you additional information not normally displayed. You will see service and DEF information as shown on attached photo. I take regular readings and plot them on a graph to show usage trending.

BTW ...I also have stop/start issues. Like you, it works for around a week after they 'fix' it ...then it stops working again! It's going back in the end of this month to be looked at for the 4th time. They're also going to be fixing a reverberation/vibration issue in the 1200-1500 rpm range (noted elsewhere in this forum) .

IMG_1139.JPG

Natsweeb

Post by Natsweeb » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:22 pm

Do you think you will do another 19200 miles before you need oil service? I don't think anyone on here as achieved anything like.
Mine just done after 8500.

Return to “Faults & Technical”