Outside temperature sensor issues.

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport

Who's outside temperature gauge reads incorrectly?

Yes - mine reads low sometimes
64%
Yes - mine reads high sometimes
3%
No - mine is fine.
33%

Total votes: 146

Nickwill

Re: Outside temperature sensor issues.

Post by Nickwill » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:42 pm

Chippy wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:14 pm
True pc. I’m getting rid of my second DS and am hoping, like you, to get a trouble free replacement.
I’m saying nothing about my MY18, don’t ask or the JLR goblin might punish me. Well chuffed at the moment and hope you’ll have a similar experience. BTW, love the new seats and I can honestly say the best seats I’ve had in a car. I know, there are other great seats out there but leather quality and support are tip top. Sorry for the thread drift!!
MY18 HSE 180 auto, Firenze Red, 12 way seats, adaptive lights, leccy towbar, surround camera, full size spare, traffic sign recognition, black lettering.

bjm

Post by bjm » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:51 am

Robbie.H wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:41 pm
The software fix is still not released...as of today.

No further news on when yet!
Funny you should say that because my car has been in at the local dealer since Monday and they claim to have applied the "new software update" released this week...

However, the reason they still have my car is they have replaced the main control unit based on a number of errors my car had. They applied all the new updates and... it still has a problem with the outside air temperature.

Apparently one of the two new releases this week is to do with the Sat Nav and the other is for the outside air temp... which obviously isn't working yet.

Unfortunately here in Australia we don't have the option to reject a faulty car :(
2017 DS HSE Luxury TD4-180 - Waitomo Grey, privacy glass, reverse traffic detection, HUD, ebony headliner, tow pack, brake controller and tint.

Click here to see what it's like to own this superb piece of British engineering

vaise

Post by vaise » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:07 pm

HI bjm,

Australian consumer law covers vehicles purchased by a dealer. If the car has a major failure, then there may be a course of action. The line in the Australian consumer law that may be able to be used for a replacement (or refund) is this : a ‘major failure’ is a problem with your car that is so significant that a reasonable consumer would not have bought the car if they had known about the full extent of the problem

The car must be :

1. Fit for purpose
Cars bought from car dealerships must be ‘fit for purpose’. Getting the help of an expert to check the car for you can avoid some of the hassles of thoroughly examining the car, especially if you’re not a car expert yourself.
Whether you get help from an expert or not, Australian Consumer Law doesn’t expect you to find hidden problems with the car, since they aren’t easily detected. So that means that car dealerships can’t refuse helping you with your lemon car issues even for hidden problems.

2. Acceptable quality
Another consumer guarantee is that the car you bought must be of an ‘acceptable quality’. Your whole car is covered, so the entire vehicle must be of a satisfactory condition. Your car dealer can’t argue that only part of the car is covered, while part of it isn’t.

3. Free from defects
The car you bought also needs to be ‘free from defects’. The car dealer needs to guarantee that the car has no faults when you bought it from them.

Also, car dealerships can’t force you to get the car serviced with them after you’ve bought it. They can’t say that the consumer guarantees, like the ‘free from defects’ guarantee, only apply to buyers who have their cars regularly serviced with them. You have the right to get your car serviced anywhere, and the consumer guarantees still apply even if your car is regularly checked up elsewhere.

4. Must last for a reasonable amount of time
Your car needs to ‘last for a reasonable amount of time’. Car dealerships can’t shield themselves from this guarantee by claiming that they will only fix cars if the buyer has bought an extended warranty. The reason is because extended warranties don’t change consumer guarantees, and you are entitled to a solution from the car dealership if the car didn’t last for a fair period of time.

Major Failure

if the car you’ve bought from a dealer has a major failure, then you’re entitled to a replacement or a refund from the car dealer.

What is a ‘major failure’?

You have the right to seek a replacement or refund from a car dealership if your car has a major failure, but there may be an argument between you and the dealership about the term ‘major failure’.

The motor vehicle sales and repairs industry guide to Australian Consumer Law explains that a ‘major failure’ is a problem with your car that is so significant that a reasonable consumer would not have bought the car if they had known about the full extent of the problem. This could mean that the car you bought is unfit for its normal purpose, unsafe, or very different from the description or demonstration model that was originally shown to you.
My17 Black Discovery Sport HSE 150. Cirrus leather. BSM/Rear traffic alert. Australian Spec. Built Feb 2017. Delivered May 1st.

vaise

Post by vaise » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:16 pm

Further to this - in Australia, regarding the rejection period :

The "rejection period" is the period commencing from the time a consumer bought a vehicle, during which it would be reasonable to expect a problem to appear.
In determining whether the rejection period has passed, it is relevant to consider the:
• type of vehicle
• way in which the consumer is likely to use it
• length of time, and amount of use, that would reasonably be expected to elapse before the problem becomes apparent.
My17 Black Discovery Sport HSE 150. Cirrus leather. BSM/Rear traffic alert. Australian Spec. Built Feb 2017. Delivered May 1st.

bjm

Post by bjm » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:36 pm

Thanks for that.

In my case the car is 3 months old. It has been back to the dealer three times and this third time they have had it for 4 days. Land Rover have footed the bill for a main control unit replacement based on "corrupt data". They have not yet returned the car to me because they admit it still has problems with the outside air temp.

I understand this is probably my not the place to air this greivance but the info you have provided is the best I have seen so far. I'd be very interested to hear people's opinions on this.

I created my own website for Land Rover when we started having problems. As you can see the first problem.appeared with only 57km on the clock.

Check out my web page by clicking here
2017 DS HSE Luxury TD4-180 - Waitomo Grey, privacy glass, reverse traffic detection, HUD, ebony headliner, tow pack, brake controller and tint.

Click here to see what it's like to own this superb piece of British engineering

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Gosh bjm, you certainly seem to have had a lot of issues and not too good a service either.
My 8 inch screen flickered once but I've never seen it do it again since .
It's good you have captured all the defects and posting it in a web site is good to as it may help them get their act together when they see it.

I'd think that would be classified as a major electrical problem, as a catch all phrase for all the defects experienced.

I can't understand why the UK won't help , it is after all in their best interest to sort out customers issues no matter where they live.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:01 pm

Barnsh wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:22 pm
I can't understand why the UK won't help , it is after all in their best interest to sort out customers issues no matter where they live.
If it’s anything like the situation in Germany which I’m sure it is then they’ll simply say we’re paying a local importer/LR company to do this work so leave us alone because it’s all their responsibility.

Not very customer friendly for sure but it’s only about money at the end of the day.
Evoque MY18 TD4 SE 180hp. Loire Blue.
DS MY17 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Aintree Green.
DS MY16 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Corris Grey.

bjm

Post by bjm » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:03 pm

Barnsh wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:22 pm
Gosh bjm, you certainly seem to have had a lot of issues and not too good a service either.
My 8 inch screen flickered once but I've never seen it do it again since .
It's good you have captured all the defects and posting it in a web site is good to as it may help them get their act together when they see it.

I'd think that would be classified as a major electrical problem, as a catch all phrase for all the defects experienced.

The feedback I'm getting from the local dealer indicates that LR UK have been involved and have supplied the new (supposedly $10k) main control unit. However, given they thought it was going to be a quick in and out in a day fix and it's now going on day 5...

The local dealer have been very understanding and helped out where they can. The data has been collected from the computer and sent off to LR. They haven't indicated whether that's LR Au or LR UK though. They did say that having all the issue listed on my web page has been helpful and having videos and photographs has meant that LR can't refute any claims.

I've now been in an F-Pace for most of this week so I haven't been too disadvantaged. :lol:

My main issue is the fact that this isn't the sort of thing you expect from a brand new car. I have a family road trip coming up in a few months and my confidence in the car is slipping.

Here's another little video I took of the dash display recently.
A little ironic given my situation.

https://youtu.be/r63iAYi1yXk

Sorry I can't seem to get the youtube direct link to display my video.

vaise

Post by vaise » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:01 am

bjm : all your issues, I cant believe you have lived with that.

In solidarity : I have the temp sensor reading low issue (about 5 times), I have the key not recogised issue (about 6 times), the oil dilution and early service issue, the wing mirrors not opening on unlock (about 10 times), Bad radio reception compared to pother cars owned. Apart from that - it is fine :-)

bjm

Post by bjm » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:55 am

I got my car back late today. The local dealer has admitted defeat, they say there is currently no fix for the OAT issue and that they will be in touch when LR get back to them with more information.

It's early days yet but it seems they have made a few changes. I'm quite sure the menu system on the entertainment display has changed and there are a more/different options. Hopefully they have fixed the glitching issues there.

As soon as I hear more about the OAT issue I will post it up here so hopefully we can all get our cars fixed.

Return to “Faults & Technical”