Outside temperature sensor issues.

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport

Who's outside temperature gauge reads incorrectly?

Yes - mine reads low sometimes
Yes - mine reads high sometimes
No - mine is fine.
Total votes: 138

-35°c... Winter is Coming!

Post by NightFox » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:41 am

I started up my DS over the weekend after it'd just been sitting about 5 minutes, and after about a minute of driving noticed it was getting very warm inside, despite the climate control being set at a "fresh" 18°c. I twiddled all the controls but still the vents kept pumping out hot air. Then after a couple more minutes driving I noticed that the outside temperature shown on the dash display was showing -35°c, but was going up 1° at a time. Thankfully, it only took another few minutes until it had climbed back to the "real" outside temperature of about 16° and everything settled back to normal.

Anyone else experienced the same? The full circumstances were I'd stopped in a car park, turned off the ignition but stayed in the car with the radio playing, then started the car again after about 5 mins without getting out of it in the meantime.
MY17 HSE Auto * Phoenix Orange * 18" Style 511 (dark grey) * Entertainment Pack * Driver Assist Tech Pack * Electrical tow bar
Arrived 15th September 2016

Re: -35°c... Winter is Coming!

Post by valleyforge » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:37 pm

My 06 Disco 3 HSE used to do that every now & again - I took it to be one of those endearing land rover features. Sometimes it would be way below the current temperature, like yours, other times only 5 - 10 degrees below. Weird ! I guess the techyy programmer had a boring afternoon when the chipset was designed.
DS HSE Loire Blue 5 seat tow & spare, Ex D2, D3, RRS, Freelie etc. :D

Post by philn » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:46 pm

Never happened on mine , 18 months old.

Post by Chippy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:18 pm

No problems here but it rather sounds as though it's software related.
Evoque MY18 TD4 SE 180hp. Loire Blue.
DS MY17 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Aintree Green.
DS MY16 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Corris Grey.

Post by Ricci » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:27 pm

Happened to me today. Parked up for 15 mins with everything off. Decided to listen to the radio and noticed that the clock had frozen at the time I turned on the radio. Started car and drove off, clock jumped ahead 10 mins to correct time. Heating came on hot then noticed that the external temperature was showing -30degC and climbing. Soon stabilised at 17degC and all was normal.
MY17 DS HSE. Corris Grey and grey gloss 18" wheels, black roof, privacy glass. HUD & TSR, heated steering wheel. Heavy-duty electric hook, full-size spare & 360 camera thingy.
Gone: FL2

Post by Yasmar » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:18 pm

I've just seen all the snowplows lined up on the apron at the airport - winter may be on it's way but so far my temperature gauge seems OK.
MY16.5 DS HSE 2.0 Litre Diesel Automatic Scotia Grey with privacy glass and mudflaps.
Complete with B Pillar rattle courtesy of JLR :roll: finally fixed and rattle free thanks to the dealer!

Post by County » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:40 am

Happened to me a few weeks back, just after 1st service, also had warning lights on, I put a post on here about it to see if anyone else had had issues, not done it since. :mrgreen:

It was under Erratic Display, no replies but 150+ views :(
:D B 1984 RR Vouge, Then BMW. Back to LR, H 1991 Disco 1, L 1993 Disco, N 1996 Disco, Y 2001 Disco, 53 Disco 2, 56 Disco 3
MY10 FL2 TD4 XS [Nav], MY13 FL2 TD4 GS Auto
MY15 DS SE Tech Auto Firenze Red 2.2 FL engine!

Outside temperature behaves strange

Post by compasscard » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:36 am

Yesterday, it was about -2°C in the Brussels area
Drove my car and stopped at my parents-in-law
Locked car and went inside
10' later, opened car to drive back to home. To my surprise, the outside temp was indicating a North Canadian climate: -40°C
While driving, the temperature creeped slowly up. It took approx 15' to get back to normal.

Today, same scenario but outside temp was 0°C
Started car = normal temp
Stopped car = normal temp
Went 10' inside
Started car = suddenly -15°C
Arrived at home, everything normal...

Is it a known error or should I go to the dealer to have the lot checked for water ingress or another kind of electrical error :)

Re: Outside temperature behaves strange

Post by AlexD » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:03 am

Mine does something similar. Its on the list of things I want looking at when it goes back to the dealer.
MY17 HSE Lux, Indus Silver, Santorini Black Contrast Roof, Entertainment Pack, Vision Assist Pack, Adaptive Dynamics, Service Pack.

Re: Outside temperature behaves strange

Post by stephank » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:32 am

I had the same problem. They replaced the complete mirror on the left side (under warranty) since that is where the ambient temperature sensor is placed and it can't be ordered as a single part...
Has been working fine since.
TD4 180 SE auto MY17, Kaikoura Stone, German Version with loads of extras configured...
...what can I say, I like toys. :D

Return to “Faults & Technical”