sticky brake pedal on 2017 DS lux

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
paulc

sticky brake pedal on 2017 DS lux

Post by paulc » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi Is anyone else having a problem with the brake pedal on their DS sport, if i press it lightly it overcomes some resistance and then acts like a normal pedal, this will happen if I haven't pressed the pedal for a while, if I press the pedal immediately after the first press it will not happen, I drive a few other vehicles but it does not happen on them, is this a common thing on the DS sport or is it just my vehicle?

Chippy

Re: sticky brake pedal on 2017 DS lux

Post by Chippy » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:55 pm

That's something I've never heard of either on the forum or anywhere else.

It seems a visit the dealership may be necessary.
MB GLC 250d.
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Both rejected - B pillar ticking.
Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.

Charly777

Post by Charly777 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:57 pm

I think this happened to me after a long drive with no breaking. When I did brake it felt a little soft , but ok. The next brake seconds later was fine
Mercedes GLE 250D 4Matic Sport
HSE MY16 AUTO SCOTIA GREY (SOLD)

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:09 pm

Sticky brake pad? I have seen that on here before it was a stuck calliper pin

"When a braking pad sticks, it causes the brake fluid to boil. When the brake fluid boils, it expands and causes the hard brake pedal that one feels."

Do your brake pads look evenly worn on each side of the car?
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

paulc

Post by paulc » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:24 am

Hi, this will do it if it stands in the garage and I Go to start it, this will happen when I push the pedal lightly and then leave it for a while it will do it again so the vehicle does not even have to move regards Paul

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:07 am

paulc wrote:Hi, this will do it if it stands in the garage and I Go to start it, this will happen when I push the pedal lightly and then leave it for a while it will do it again so the vehicle does not even have to move regards Paul
Ah ok I thought it was whilst driving, I'd guess it's servo assisted and perhaps loosing pressure ?

Edit losing pressure whilst parked
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

paulc

Post by paulc » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi, This is an update on the post a while ago, It has been in the garage for a total of 24 days and the final conclusion is from Land Rover Technical:-Having carried out further investigation with our Technical team here at Jaguar Land Rover, I would like to provide you with some information in regarding the functionality of the brake pedal; within the brake pedal application there are two elements which can affect the feel of the pedal. One being the initial pedal travel force and the other, middle position pedal travel force. Harder applications of the brake pedal increases the force, which is controlled by the brake booster and is preset by the factory. So the pedal itself is not sticking, it is the feel of the pedal through these stages that you are feeling. As such, your vehicle is performing to design intent.
I have driven a further 4 Discovery sports and 3 of them done it so Land Rover have deemed it as design intent, very poor considering the price of the vehicle and I have never driven a vehicle with this issue before.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:50 pm

I can't say I experience this on my car or on the loaner I had last year. Brake systems are setup with a higher initial force to overcome the latent friction of components and resistance in the rubber seals (called "jump-in"). This varies from manufacturer to manufacturer as it's part of their driving characteristics. My wifes Golf has a quite aggressive jump in (I think - I touch the brakes and hit the windscreen!) whereas the DS has a 'deader' pedal.

Maybe you've a sensitive foot and are detecting the 'jump-in' phase of the brake pedal, but in itself nothing to worry about.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

Return to “Faults & Technical”