Incorrect diesel exhaust fluid quality detected

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Badgerface

Re: Incorrect diesel exhaust fluid quality detected

Post by Badgerface » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:22 am

I think, looking at previous threads, that MY17> DEF systems had to work significantly harder than the MY15-16.5 models, thus using more DEF in the first place.
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Past master

Post by Past master » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:59 pm

CLDriver wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:17 am
As I first said, mine took 350 miles to decide that it was "overfull", on a very hot, so perhaps the liquid expanded? So much for the accuracy of our only means of estimating how much is in there! Look forward to your next installment.

By the way, this DEF topic seems to have first appeared on the Forum in Jan 2017, but I think it was first introduced to this model as a (cheap) means of NOx reduction in 2016? Has anyone heard of DEF problems in a DS prior to Jan 2017?
I have had the "incorrect quality" message once in my MY16. Don't know what they did to solve it (gave up trying to get a reply from the dealer). Interestingly the DEF range dropped on that one occasion to about 5000 miles, when it normally achieves 12000, so I speculate that it was linked in some way (dealer said not, but what do they know?). Possibly the indication was due to a fault that used excessive amounts of DEF.
The problem of overfilling affecting the sensor only seems to affect post 2017 models, which are also set to use DEF at twice the rate of the earlier cars.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

Percy

Post by Percy » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:28 pm

Today the car failed again after being in the dealer for a week, got it back last Friday DEF fault again road side assist attended the guy was a credit to L/R he knew what to do he installed the new software that came out last week for this car been waiting months now all is good,

CLDriver

Post by CLDriver » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:24 am

Re your "new software" - Do you know whether it has been specifically designed to correct/preempt all these DEF problems, or is it just a general update of the operating software? If the former, then why has LR not informed those with problems about it - and the dealerships?

BFGDSMan

Post by BFGDSMan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:04 pm

Badgerface wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:39 pm
My advice, for what it is worth.

Wait until the AdBlu restart nonsense on the dash warns of 500 miles.

Take photo to include date and mileage (cycle through on left hand stalk to achieve this)

Fill with 10 litres. No more.

Best of luck!
For once we find ourselves in (almost) agreement. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I have found that based on reported issues with overfilling I wait until it says about 1000 miles no more re-starts and then add exactly 10 litres. Works a treat every time as based on MY17 consumption of 1 litre every 600 miles there can't be more than 2 litres in the tank.

Refilled last week direct from the pump with my magnetic adapter (so €0.52/litre) rather than with the adapter into my Adblue container and refilling the with a funnel and pouring can (€1.50/litre)

Shame it didn't run out in France 3 weeks ago. The was a place near Bordeaux on the N10 that was flogging it for €0.33 a litre!!!!!

Can't wait for my Merc - 26 litres and it tells you how much to tank on the dashboard.
Gone: SD4 HSE, 2 x TD4 HSE Lux.

His - Mercedes E220d AMG Estate & Hers - Mercedes E220d AMG Cabriolet

BFGDSMan

Post by BFGDSMan » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:16 pm

Badgerface wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:22 am
I think, looking at previous threads, that MY17> DEF systems had to work significantly harder than the MY15-16.5 models, thus using more DEF in the first place.
I think the dosing was essentially doubled for MY17 cars to make sure JLR weren't caught with their trousers down in light of the Sep 15 onward VW Group scandal as motoring organisations starting actually testing cars in the real world hence why an MY 16 RRE 2.0d was found to be mid way between Euro 4 (post 2006) and 5 (post 2009) standards whilst purporting to be Euro 6b (2016) when ADAC tested it. Coupled with the transverse set up in the RRE/DS and DPF regen having to be active rather than passive and it probably has created a perfect storm of technical failure :?:
Gone: SD4 HSE, 2 x TD4 HSE Lux.

His - Mercedes E220d AMG Estate & Hers - Mercedes E220d AMG Cabriolet

Percy

Post by Percy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:05 pm

If you own a year 2015 onwards and you are still in warranty insist they install new software or ask for a good reason why they won’t, why have L/R gone to the trouble of getting a new software program if it was not needed, as I stated in my last post is only just become available.

tankerman

Post by tankerman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:00 pm

Hi all, mines booked in for the 3rd time for this problem next Friday. Last time in June, LR Assist met me at the Perth dealers in Scotland on my way back home from a week in Breamar, towing my caravan. He did a repair and I booked it in at my dealers the following week to have it checked out. They said the repair that was done was good, injector cleaned and fault cleared. OK till Tuesday morning this week when the warning lamp appeared at 05:10 on my way to work, probably done around 2000 miles. LR must think we have nothing better to do in our spare time than keep going to dealers for faults rectifying. Will definitely need some answers next Friday. Getting really p****d off now and wondering what to do as its out of warranty in November. I can only hope that LR will honour any work out of warranty on this subject.

Percy

Post by Percy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:38 am

Simple, ask for the new software to be installed or extended warranty on the DEF system, as the fault has been ongoing and not fixed it should be covered after warranty has expired.

Past master

Post by Past master » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:16 pm

Mine has just done this for the second time. Same symptoms as 6000 miles ago:
"Incorrect fluid" notice on dash,
DEF range suddenly reduced from about 6000 to 500,
Shortly after that, "No restarts in 500 miles" warning. Last time I took it to the dealer, but never did find out what they had done to it. This time I'm calling LR Assist, as the car has to get me to Germany on Thursday! (And back again).
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

Return to “Faults & Technical”