Incorrect diesel exhaust fluid quality detected

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Past master

Re: Incorrect diesel exhaust fluid quality detected

Post by Past master » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:50 pm

Just been talking to a local tradesman about his wife's SEAT. Given their problems with having everything reset because of the emissions scandal, then not working, not knowing anything about Adblue until he got an error message, having to have the turbo replaced, I feel much better about the DS now. ;)

Mind you, he's very happy with his Ford pickup.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:37 pm

I see Skoda are increasing the volume of the AdBlue tank on the Kodiaq from 12 litres to 18 litres on MY19, I assume they're pumping a bit more into the engine these days too.
MY19 P240 HSE (on order), Indus, Black Pack, Privacy, Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
MY16 HSE Black, Santorini, Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging.

AAAA

Post by AAAA » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:24 pm

Collected car from dealer today having dropped it off to have the ad blue warning message dealt with. Surprise , surprise it was because I had over
filled a 14 Ltr container by adding 2 x 4ltr btls of ad blue from Halfords. Asked for service manager to come and explain the mathematics of this statement to me but sadly he wasn't available because he was " in a meeting". Still waiting for his promised phone call . As soon as I can find another car this one will be going. Never bought a car and then decided to get rid off within 2 MONTHS!. Wish I had found forum before buying a discovery sport.
When my merc gets a service they ask if you want to do the ad blue yourself or get them to do it so it's obviously not a difficult thing for anybody to do without any over filling bull£!@+. as LR believe it to be,or is it just a moneymaking con for the dealer's?

Past master

Post by Past master » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:10 pm

It's an excuse - if you did it yourself they claim they aren't liable. If it happens again, call LR Assist. You get an actual technician who knows what he's doing and isn't trying to con you. Incidentally, the owner's manual shows you how to do the fill and doesn't warn you not to overdo it, so even if you did overfill it's not your fault. If the warning was "incorrect quality" then it's probably down to a blocked up sensor anyway. They will clear the faults and it'll happen again.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:00 am

Dashnine wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:37 pm
I see Skoda are increasing the volume of the AdBlue tank on the Kodiaq from 12 litres to 18 litres on MY19, I assume they're pumping a bit more into the engine these days too.
I think the original idea was that the adblue would be seamless to the majority of drivers and only need filling during a service. High milers would need to top up but most would not need to.

Over time in order to fully comply with WLTP, increases in useagae will have become the norm from Sept 2018 onwards as engine control units are tweaked to “Fully ” comply instead of nearly comply as before.
I wonder what a full tank gets on an MY19 .... is it still 9000 as a starting figure or has that now dropped too, remembering MY16 was 13000 on a new Car collection when full, MY 17 was 9000 starting figure.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:11 am

Past master wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:50 pm
Just been talking to a local tradesman about his wife's SEAT. Given their problems with having everything reset because of the emissions scandal, then not working, not knowing anything about Adblue until he got an error message, having to have the turbo replaced, I feel much better about the DS now. ;)

Rather ironic that the DS starts off with the errors the VW majority has now inherited after being caught and “fixed” by modification.

Yes re the Fordy Pickup .....I see the USA Ford Raptor is coming to the UK too, but what a price tag :shock:
It’s admittedly easy to see why you’d be drawn to one of these. The Raptor is the high-speed version of the legendary F-150 pickup truck, itself one of the most popular vehicles in the world, with a 450bhp 3.5-litre V6 producing mated to a ten-speed paddle-shift automatic gearbox. It’ll hit 60mph in around five seconds and will keep accelerating until well over 100mph, despite a kerb weight of over 2.5 tonnes.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/b ... and-drive/
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

NoDiscoSport

Post by NoDiscoSport » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:03 pm

Barnsh wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:11 am
Past master wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:50 pm

Rather ironic that the DS starts off with the errors the VW majority has now inherited after being caught and “fixed” by modification.

Yes re the Fordy Pickup .....I see the USA Ford Raptor is coming to the UK too, but what a price tag :shock:
It’s admittedly easy to see why you’d be drawn to one of these. The Raptor is the high-speed version of the legendary F-150 pickup truck, itself one of the most popular vehicles in the world, with a 450bhp 3.5-litre V6 producing mated to a ten-speed paddle-shift automatic gearbox. It’ll hit 60mph in around five seconds and will keep accelerating until well over 100mph, despite a kerb weight of over 2.5 tonnes.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/news/b ... and-drive/
Just to address the relevance of Barnsh's reference to irony. If you haven't seen it, this Guardian article explains what happens to a diesel engine car's performance when the cheat devices are suddenly switched off without making any other changes to the exhaust after treatment "architecture and hardware".

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... ndriveable

VW were forced to remove their cheat devices. Other manufacturers planning to follow VW down the DDD path would no doubt have voluntarily turned off their own cheat devices post 18th September 2015 and then probably made a big thing about how 'clean' their vehicles were and how they would never dream of using illegal software. But having done so, it would have been nigh-on impossible, in the time available, for them to avoid effects similar to those that VW owners have experienced, such as poor fuel economy, increased DPF regeneration activity, intermittently hesitant acceleration, higher AdBlue consumption, etc.

Regarding Land Rover, the DS and Evoque fitted with the 2.2 Duratorq diesel engine never suffered from any of these problems. But these pages (not to forget those on the evoque forum and elsewhere) are literally bursting with similar reports from Ingenium owners who acquired their vehicles after 18th September 2015. What was it that changed to make a car fitted with a fault-free engine and exhaust combination start behaving like cars that we know had had their diesel defeat devices hastily removed?

This change doesn't appear to have been the result of needing to comply with EU6 because, as the company continues to maintain, their cars have always met the emissions legislation requirements and are performing "normally". Instead they have implied that we, the drivers, suddenly stopped driving properly after the VW emissions scandal and that this is the reason our cars need so many oil changes. We all know that is nonsense. Maybe one day they will truthfully explain the real reason for the discrepancy between the performance of cars sold before 18th September 2015 and those sold afterwards. It would be better for everyone if this was done voluntarily as well.
17MY DS150PS 6 speed manual. Rejected as "not of satisfactory quality", "not as described", Consumer Rights Act 2015.

BFGDSMan

Post by BFGDSMan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:23 pm

NoDiscoSport wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:03 pm

Regarding Land Rover, the DS and Evoque fitted with the 2.2 Duratorq diesel engine never suffered from any of these problems. But these pages (not to forget those on the evoque forum and elsewhere) are literally bursting with similar reports from Ingenium owners who acquired their vehicles after 18th September 2015. What was it that changed to make a car fitted with a fault-free engine and exhaust combination start behaving like cars that we know had had their diesel defeat devices hastily removed?
To be fair thought the 2.2 unit was only ever rated as Euro 5 so was never challenged with AdBlue, although did have to work with EGR and DPF. I guess PSA know what they are doing with diesel engines (they pretty much invented the mass market diesel segmnet wiht their XUD engine?
Gone: SD4 HSE, 2 x TD4 HSE Lux.

His - Mercedes E220d AMG Estate & Hers - Mercedes E220d AMG Cabriolet

BFGDSMan

Post by BFGDSMan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:30 pm

Barnsh wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:00 am

Over time in order to fully comply with WLTP, increases in useagae will have become the norm from Sept 2018 onwards as engine control units are tweaked to “Fully ” comply instead of nearly comply as before.
I wonder what a full tank gets on an MY19 .... is it still 9000 as a starting figure or has that now dropped too, remembering MY16 was 13000 on a new Car collection when full, MY 17 was 9000 starting figure.
Never had 13000 miles on my MY16? Was about 9500miles, and then for MY17 (my current car )and MY18 this was/is about 5000miles. Handbook said it was one litre per 1000 miles for MY16, changed to 1 litre per 600 miles for MY17. Can't really increase it much more without doing something about increasing the tank size and or accessibility to the filler as filling AdBlue is just seen as too much of a hassle (or techincal) for many.

1litre/600miles is about what Mercedes doses at, but the Saloon/Estate come with a 26 litre tank so that you don't need to fill between services. If you do there is no warning about overfilling and the filler is next to the fuel filler under the flap in the wing - now that is sensible - so you can put the filler straight in if tanking from the pump. We are lucky that our local filling station now has a car AdBlue pump (pumps about 1 litre/30 secs) as opposed to having to use the lorry pump with an magnetic adapter which pumps at the same rate as a normal "car" petrol/diesel pump. Sadly my wifes cabriolet only has an 8 litre tank so she will need to visit every 3500 miles or so (or in reality me :lol: :lol:)
Gone: SD4 HSE, 2 x TD4 HSE Lux.

His - Mercedes E220d AMG Estate & Hers - Mercedes E220d AMG Cabriolet

S marty

Post by S marty » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:54 pm

The def sensor cleverly monitors the content quality as well as the tank level.
So sadly if over filled it cannot tell whether you filled with adblu or tap water. So throws up a quality warning on dash.
https://www.continental-corporation.com ... nsor-99102.

Return to “Faults & Technical”