Discovery Sport Forum banner

Incorrect diesel exhaust fluid quality detected

182K views 178 replies 43 participants last post by  BobP 
#1 ·
I was out with my family this evening for a family meal, which was a about a 70 mile round trip. Which is good for my car as most of our journeys are short. On our way home a warning came up with a amber sign saying " No engine restarts in 515 miles. Incorrect diesel exhaust fluid quality detected". I've only done about 7000 miles wondering if my blu stuff needs topping up, I will phone Landrover tomorrow.

Reactions: Admin
#4 ·
When I picked up my my16.5 DS I was told it was about 13000 miles 'ish
When I picked up my replacement MY 17DS 8 months later I was told this has changed to @9000 miles as it now uses more. I was told this was to ensure they don't get caught out like VW, so I can only guess the qty of useage has increased at some point.

I do wonder if at some point MY15/16 will have a sneaky software update to make them use more too ? :shock: :roll:

#5 ·
Barnsh said:
When I picked up my my16.5 DS I was told it was about 13000 miles 'ish
When I picked up my replacement MY 17DS 8 months later I was told this has changed to @9000 miles as it now uses more. I was told this was to ensure they don't get caught out like VW, so I can only guess the qty of useage has increased at some point.

I do wonder if at some point MY15/16 will have a sneaky software update to make them use more too ? :shock: :roll:
It was very much the same with my MY17 compared to MY16 Barnsch. I wouldn't put it past any company to, as you put it, sneakily update the software.

#6 ·
Hi sorry for the delay in posting landrover came out, re-set the computer it didn't need a blue top. I will have to keep an eye out in case it happens again.

#7 ·
Chalkey said:
Hi sorry for the delay in posting landrover came out, re-set the computer it didn't need a blue top. I will have to keep an eye out in case it happens again.
Interesting. See AddBlue thread. My dealer said they would monitor my usage on refilled tank after 6000 miles for first tankful,and if necessary reset the injectors. Not sure if that's possible or if the newer cars are calibrated to use more to overcome emission requirements.

#8 ·
Just read the breakdown report and it stated :- correct fluid levels, power train control module at lowest level. Reset monitor and carried out a drive cycle now 5778 miles till empty.

#9 ·
Just had this warning again and it's now getting beyond a joke, so far this year to date the car has had a week with one dealer an afternoon with a JL technician then a further two week with another dealer with the same fault, each time I was told it's sorted this is addition to bits of trim falling on the moterway, camera stopped working, having to take it in to have various rattles sorted, vibration from speakers recalls 1,2,and 3. The car is only 18 months old, for now thankfully all the faults are being sorted FOC love the car to bits when it's right but seriously contemplating what to do when nearing end of warranty ?? Are there so called rouge cars out there and have I got one, or are Landrovers the same.

#10 ·
I do, indeed hope that everything is now sorted out for you. To your question as to what to do towards the end of the guarantee period I'd be tempted to keep it anyway but at the end of the day it's going to be up to you.

Enjoy the DS so long as you have got it anyway.

#11 ·
Hi all,

I've got this message to day ,,Incorrect diesel exhaust fluid quality detected" My car has been driven 9300 km. The computer says that there are 850 km left of exhaust fluid. Does anyone know if the message clears if I top up as nearest dealer is 450 km away. And is this normal message when ad blue is low?

#14 ·
Hi,

tried to fill it up but my local gas station only had 7 litres so I used that. No change. :-(

#15 ·
Update after a reading from the cars computer a new warning ,,Incorrect exhaust fluid mixture" came up. The dealer decided to call the car in a collected it and gave me Disco 5 HSE as a courtesy car. Fun Fun fun

#16 ·
This came up while cruising on the M40.
I phoned the dealer to ask what I am supposed to do about it as the only DEF that is in the car is what they put there at service and interim under service plan. The answer was to stop and switch off, leave it 20 mins and see if it clears, noting the DEF range before setting off. If not clear, come into the dealership or call LR Assist.
Stopping at service area and shutting down made not difference but the DEF range was 522 miles (6500+ 10 days ago). When I reached my destination, I parked up and switched off, put the ignition back on (without engine start) to see DEF level, now 513. Then found I could NOT switch off the ignition - when I pressed the on/off, it just kept saying kept saying press brake/clutch to start so after 5-6 tries I restarted the engine then turned off ok but warning NO RESTARTS IN 513 MILES added to incorrect DEF quality detected. As the car had been running fine, I drover home at the end of the day - all ran fine but still showing the warning.
Visited the dealer first thin in the morning as arranged (no appointment necessary!) and it was "sorted" in an hour or so, "software issue" was the answer. They topped up the DEF and it took all of 4.5 L to fill so the level was lying too.
My patience and confidence are both a bit dented but we'll see how it goes in the next 2,000 miles to second service.

Anyone else had this one.

#17 ·
I had exactly the same warning come up early in the New Year, also at a low DEF level but not low enough to generate "No Restarts". Co-incidentally about the time I was watching the level ready for the first refill from new. Although I have a service plan I topped up the the tank with 2 x 4 litres of Halfords AdBlue (of the correct spec) but the message didn't go away what ever I tried. A visit to "my" garage for a fix and a discussion (Pentland Elgin or Frank Ogg as was) - indicated that significantly this can be caused by bumpy roads combined with very low air temperatures - which we have in abundance in NE Scotland (potholes and low temperatures); apparently when the DEF gets low it is possible for air bubbles to cause the sensor to malfunction in this way. Filling the DEF tank doesn't fix it. My DS was the 6th vehicle in for the same fault at the time. The solution was to apply a software reset to make the sensor less sensitive. Numerous software updates and a few DEF fills later the message has not re-appeared and our roads are just as bumpy as ever.

#19 ·
Just had the same problem with "Incorrect DEF quality detected" combined with a "500 miles to go before cannot start engine" message. However dealer says there are 13 litres in the DEF tank and cannot be topped up, so must be a sensor or software problem. So I've got a shiny new DS today while they sort it out.

#20 ·
paulj said:
Just had the same problem with "Incorrect DEF quality detected" combined with a "500 miles to go before cannot start engine" message. However dealer says there are 13 litres in the DEF tank and cannot be topped up, so must be a sensor or software problem. So I've got a shiny new DS today while they sort it out.
Too much DEF?
Have seen this before where the sensor can't detect the fluid correctly . Plus a software update for others. It will be interesting what they find. The sensor is a sonic one.

#21 ·
I've now had LR Assistance out 3 times this year (May, October & November) to this same problem with my Discovery Sport HSE TD4 (MY2016), In speaking with LR Assistance in October, I was told that LR had assured them, that the software "fix" for MY2016 Discovery Sports, would be in place by August 2017..............which it wasn't - although he did say that they had some sort of fix for MY2017 vehicles.

When the same fault came up just over 6 weeks later (Nov 2017) , I called my local dealer (Peter Vardy, Aberdeen), to ask if they would do anything different than hook up to the computer & reset the flag. After eventually speaking with someone, it was suggested that I call LR Assistance again and that if it happened subsequently, they could take the vehicle in and do some further work to investigate.

I was also asked who tops up my AdBlue and although I have a service plan and tops ups would be included - I do this myself as it saves the inconvenience of a trek across the city. Since I bought my AdBlue from Halfords, I am assuming that one of the biggest car parts stores in the country would not be selling stuff that would cause a problem, LR advise ISO 22241-1, although the Halfords AdBlue is ISO 22241, but is this likely to be potential source of my "Incorrect diesel exhaust fluid quality detected" problem? LR Assistance guy didn't believe this would be an issue!

#22 ·
I have a service plan and always get LR to top up Adblue as it's on the way to work, so it shouldn't be a problem with the fluid used. It's several thousand miles since the last top up, so there's not too much in the tank.

#23 ·
Car still with dealer as they have diagnosed a "blocked DEF jet" so they've ordered a replacement part. Bit worrying for a car with only 26K on the clock.

#24 ·
LR rang - apparently this message was caused by a faulty DPF injector (not DEF) which caused the DEF sensor to go wrong. Well at least I'll have a clean car again !

#25 ·
Well, Polly got this message last night, it was topped up with AdBlue a month ago ..... it was in at the dealer last week to have a Engine Management fault fixed ..... they replaced the DPF .....??? so do we have another faulty DPF or faulty sensor ..... It's booked in for next Tuesday ..... but it's a real pain in the A*$e, as we are 45 miles from the dealer, but they do have a cancellation so we will have a loaner ....

Pete

#26 ·
DPF injector ??

There is no such thing on the DS only a DEF injector just upstream of DPF .

Plenty of the DEF injectors get blocked as the def crystallises round the injector over time, this leads to incorrect dosing of def , which I dare say would give a fault of incorrect /dosage or quality.

I wonder if they are just incorrectly naming the injector as it's at the input end of the DPF (SCRF), box.

For those having it replaced it woukd be good to ask them again exactly what they are changing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.