Rusty brake discs & Calipers

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Mr Golly

Re: Rusty brake discs & Calipers

Post by Mr Golly » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:49 pm

Had my front and rear discs and pads changed yesterday under warranty no questions from the dealer. I had just covered over 10,000 miles. Many thanks the the forum for the useful information about this issue. I just complained that my brakes were extremely noisy and corroded.
MY16 HSE Black in Corris Grey
01/03/16

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:19 pm

Even if you measure the temperature, what do you compare it against as the norm? The rear brakes do so little work on cars (OK, maybe a bit more on a DS) that the fronts are barely affected by under-performing rears. Even if you're getting 50% efficiency out of the rears it's not going to cause the fronts to overheat unless there's some other factor at work like monster repeated high speed stops (e.g. repeated 70mph dual carriageway roundabouts), cooling is blocked, wheel aero changes, etc.
HSE Black MY16 (180 Ingenium), Santorini Black, Ebony Memory Seats, Black Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging. Golf GT Convertible and Mini First complete the family.

GSKM

Post by GSKM » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:59 pm

Temperature wise, I was going to check the temp was roughly comparable and balanced across the car After a run down the motorway and stopping at the junction I pulled over and checked them. I can't say there was a huge difference between front and back, a couple of degrees really, but it was the same across the car. I have no idea if the temperature is typical, but they weren't cooking, only 70deg C . In the hand book there is mention of reduced brake performance when using HDC for long periods, which can heat up the brakes a great deal.

I certainly don't do repeated monster high speed stops from 70, maybe when I was a over confident kid in my Opel Manta, driving the Cornish back roads. The drive from my house to work is 20 miles and there are only 6 junctions I need to stop at, including the works entrance, most of the junctions are housing estate or slow country roads, so 40mph at the most.
2018 MY DS HSE, manual 180, Firenze Red.
2015 MY Freelander 2 SE Tech. Very good.
2006 Audi A4 Cabriolet. Very unreliable.
1983 110 hardtop 2286. Wish I still had it.

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:31 pm

I wouldn't worry, brakes (disc face) when under test hit 300degC plus and the discs are meant to handle that. Would expect fronts to be hotter as they do more work (but are vented so cool quicker). It's probably the steel variety LR are using or something like that making it look different. Certainly doesn't sound like you're putting too much heat into them.
HSE Black MY16 (180 Ingenium), Santorini Black, Ebony Memory Seats, Black Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging. Golf GT Convertible and Mini First complete the family.

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:39 am

On most Land/Range Rovers post 2004, you will find that your rear pads will need replacing long before your fronts.

Be interesting to see if that generalisation is carried over to the DS as well...
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Landroverboy

Post by Landroverboy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:53 pm

Hi, just had my rear discs replaced for 2nd time in 12 months. LR have a problem with a bad batch. I believe the dealers have been instructed to replace where required. Your discs and pads should be in perfect condition. I would go back to the dealers and raise it again. Tell them you are a member of the forum and many customers have had issues.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:47 pm

Remember the key to getting them replaced under warranty is to say they are noisey as this is listed as a condition on the LTB and a few folk on here have pointed this out already.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

GSKM

Post by GSKM » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:05 am

I spoke to the dealer the other day and the car is booked in to have the rears changed. They took pictures of all the brake discs, so we'll see if they think there's a problem with the front as well. I was asked if they made a noise and said so.
2018 MY DS HSE, manual 180, Firenze Red.
2015 MY Freelander 2 SE Tech. Very good.
2006 Audi A4 Cabriolet. Very unreliable.
1983 110 hardtop 2286. Wish I still had it.

Filwill

Post by Filwill » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:52 am

Just had my first MOT with my DS, passed but came back with two advisories of rear brake disc and pads worn (both sides) to amber level? This is after 35K miles. Not bad and still on original tyres! They say a DS is expensive to run but it beats my old Audi A6.
MY15 March 2015 2.2 HSE Auto, Corris Grey, Almond leather,privacy glass, 7 seats, 511 style 20" alloys, Mud flaps,and some bits.
Gone: Audi A6 Avant S Line auto

Matthewgriff

Post by Matthewgriff » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:11 am

Hi all, this thread and information people have left is most helpful.
I have done 40550 since May 16 in my DS with tyres on the front doing 35000 with some tread left. I had my warning light appear on my dash saying brake pads worn, so I had them done locally with genuine parts from Duckworths. Noticed that the rear discs were badly scored I arranged for a service .(you only need 2x wear sensors not 3 . 1 on rear drivers side and 1 on front passenger side)Took my car in to dealer this morning and they have said that the rear discs and pad will have to be changed, I mentioned that there is an issue with the rear discs and that they should seek the topix report.
Having just discovered this thread and the topix customer code I will now present this to the dealer and see what they say.
During my last service less than a year ago nothing was mentioned about my discs so this will be more to throw at them.
Obviously there are some really good dealers out there who actually looks after the customer and does the leg work, I hope mine is one of them.

Will update soon.
DS TD4 180 HSE Manual, Kaikoura Stone , Santorini contrast roof ,Priviacy glass, Almond with ivory, Entertainment pack inc Rear Ent, Detachable towbar.
Build date 27/04/16 :o :D

Return to “Faults & Technical”