Discovery Sport Forum banner

Rusty brake discs & Calipers

204K views 489 replies 117 participants last post by  Jim Shoe 
#1 ·
Firstly I'd like to say hello to everyone on the forum, it been very helpful for me as this is my first Land Rover/4x4.

I am loving the DS and have a big grin each time I drive it :D

The other day I noticed that my brake discs were covered in rust, I/wife have been driving the car pretty much every day but didn't on Sunday. Is it normal for the discs to rust that quickly or do I have a bad set of discs?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That would be normal especially after it had rained or the car had been washed.

#5 ·
Been renovating a 1996 MGF & had to replace rear callipers due to mechanism jamming in guides & the outer pad not reaching disc evenly. Symptoms are rusty rings & pitting around inner & outer edges of swept area on outer face of disc. Just noticed same symptoms developing on Oct 2015 DiscoSport, Black edition. Calliper design looks unnervingly like the MGF. Only significant on one disc at moment but other one showing slight unevenness of wear. Anybody else noticed this??

#7 ·
minor surface rust. Nothing to worry about. You'll see it on the day after a good rain or even if it's been through the car wash. The disc itself it still nice and smooth, the pads will clear the rust off the first time you dab the brakes. If you're worried, do that and THEN feel the surface with your fingers (remember the disc will HOT if you've been using the brakes a lot, but not if you literally just drive ten feet then brake to a stop) it should be smooth, i.e. your fingertips should not detect any grooves or pits.

#9 ·
I've just had my rear discs replaced by the stealer less than 7k miles & showing similar pitting & grooves, the front ones were as expected shiny smooth. I had to argue a bit but they dId replace them along with pads and advised that they were to end the discs back to LR as they were interested as to whether it could be a batch or supplier issue.

#10 ·
Land Rover assist just inspected discs & said they're OK. "Brakes are set-up for 80% front - 20% rear bias, so unless the brakes are pushed hard, rear brakes rarely apply much pressure & discs don't get polished". Hope he's right. I need to drive it a bit harder!! Off on hols with caravan shortly, we'll see if that polishes them up!

#12 ·
The DS is currently at the dealers for a series of recalls to be undertaken. They performed a health check and sent the video through. It was pointed out that the rear brake discs are heavily corroded. DS is 15 months old and covered 10k miles. :eek:

I called them to clarify and apparently there is an acknowledged problem with the rear discs and LR are replacing under warranty. I may have to take the DS in in a few days when the dealer manages to get hold of some.

Just pointing this out so that you can check your own and get them replaced.

#13 ·
Freeloader said:
The DS is currently at the dealers for a series of recalls to be undertaken. They performed a health check and sent the video through. It was pointed out that the rear brake discs are heavily corroded. DS is 15 months old and covered 10k miles. :eek:

I called them to clarify and apparently there is an acknowledged problem with the rear discs and LR are replacing under warranty. I may have to take the DS in in a few days when the dealer manages to get hold of some.

Just pointing this out so that you can check your own and get them replaced.
Glad they are replacing them under warranty , did you get a picture of how bad they were? Just so we know what we're looking for and can compare if needed?

#14 ·
It's a video. I'll try and get a still from it if I can. They were quite badly corroded.

#18 ·
#21 ·
Looks to me from that photo that the corroded area is on the outside portion of the disc where the pads are not sweeping the full width of the disc. The disc rotors are just steel, and the surface will oxidise very rapidly if not constantly being 'cleaned' by the brake pads. So, to say they are corroded as if it's a problem with the quality of the steel or something is a bit of a red herring, and the real question is - why aren't the pads contacting the whole width of the disc? There was another thread on here a while ago about the same problem, but I don't think there was a definitive conclusion as to what the root cause was, although there was speculation that the discs might have been too large for the pads, as the person with the corroded ring around the outside said his discs were 20mm larger diameter than the specs say they should be on the rear :shock:

http://www.discosportforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4340

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.