Rusty brake discs & Calipers

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Matthewgriff

Re: Rusty brake discs & Calipers

Post by Matthewgriff » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:37 am

Update,
Dealer have replaced discs and pads as per the Technical Bulletin👏. So I have done 40500 since May 16 and for anyone who has done less and had their DS less time , you have a 3yr warranty and the discs and pads should be replaced in line with this.
DS TD4 180 HSE Manual, Kaikoura Stone , Santorini contrast roof ,Priviacy glass, Almond with ivory, Entertainment pack inc Rear Ent, Detachable towbar.
Build date 27/04/16 :o :D

silentbrown

Post by silentbrown » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:49 am

Good result!

Discs and pads are wear and tear items, so not directly covered by warranty. I just had a look at the rear discs replaced only 5 months ago - already starting to corrode pretty badly.

LR seem to be just changing discs and pads without fixing the cause of the problem. Has anyone tried non-OEM discs yet?
MY16 2.0d 180 SE Tech, Manual.

Davesr8

Post by Davesr8 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:17 pm

I bought a DS in Feb 17 from Stratstone Newcastle the car was ex demo with 2500 miles on the clock.On Tuesday 20/2/18 I realised that there was a noise from the rear when I applied the brakes...I contact LRasisst on Wednesday they sent out AA...who said the car should not be driven because of the corrosion of the rear brakes..the car was towed to Stratstone Houghton Le Spring.The next day the rang to say brake pads at rear needed to be replaced at a cost of £420...the mileage on the car was only 10,300. I had no warning of a brake issue and the LR app showed everything was ok apart from the car needed servicing which was incorrect.
The last day has been a battle with Stratstone Newcastle and Houghton with neither giving way about the £400...my previous car was a Freelander which I had for over 3 years and passed an MOT without any problems and had never had any brake replacement...Thankfully I found this site and the issues and the LR service bulletin...the garage are still saying the problem isn’t related to this service bulletin but as a gesture of goodwill they will do the work FOC...completely destroyed my faith in Stratstone and LR

Past master

Post by Past master » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:58 pm

Gesture of goodwill? That's a new one. Brake disc wear, fair enough, but corrosion should not happen unless you've been driving around in the sea, and must be down to a manufacturing defect. I'm surprised they aren't claiming it from LR under warranty (or perhaps they are...?) but in any case the vehicle is "not fit for purpose" and they probably know you would be talking to lawyers if they didn't fix it.
btw if you don't like Stratstone (who does?) talk to Team Valley Land Rovers. nice chaps, and an official LR agent, so can do warranty work.
MY16 SETech 180 diesel Santorini Black

Mark_Quinn

Post by Mark_Quinn » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:00 pm

I travelled for 2 hours to view a DS at Stratstone Newcastle and phoned them to let them know exactly when I’d be arriving. When I got there the DS I wanted to view was nowhere to be seen. After 20 mins of messing about it was located out the back of the showrooms. Anyway it was that dirty it looked as though it’d been on a farm for a week, the interior was full of leaves and twigs. I asked how long they had it, 2 weeks was the reply. They couldn’t even be bothered getting it valeted in that time. Obviously I turned my back, walked away and went elsewhere.
DS MY66 SE Tech 180 Corris Grey, Privacy glass, Panoramic roof, Side steps, Tow bar, Roof rails.

Discotex99

Post by Discotex99 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:42 pm

Had my Disco Sport serviced today ,1st service 22 months and 17000mls (had oil and filter changed 4000 miles ago, good will oil dilution).
On collection of vehicle informed rear brake discs need replacing after 17000 miles, will be completed under warranty, but discs on back order so long wait forecast ( it’s amazing JLR can manage to fit them to new cars in the factory, but customers have to wait.) I’m also still waiting for climate fan motor to be supplied and fitted, now into five weeks waiting!
JLR customer service appalling, can’t supply parts to repair customers vehicles, yet happily putting the same parts on new built factory cars.
Absolute disgraceful service highlighting customers aren’t valued in their so called Landrover owner experience.
I’m glad Landrover don’t make Aeroplanes as they’d be dropping out the sky all day long due inferior sub standard components fitted.
JLR quality control a joke.
MY16 Se Tech 180 Auto. Nightmare now sold

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:13 pm

Whilst the original reasons your discs and fan need replacing isn't good, do you honestly expect them to produce DS without rear discs and fans as they divert parts to fit to in-service cars? Or have all the bits for DS lying around the factory as there are no discs or fans to put into cars, or tell the suppliers they have dropped production and they don't want their parts any more as there are no discs or fans to build cars. Oh, hang on, that must be it as they're ramping down production later in the year!

Whatever volume they anticipated the parts required for 'normal' replacements will have been absorbed by the cars with the unexpected faults (plenty of disc and fan problems on here). The delays in supplying replacement parts will be for increased supplier production to ramp up to meet the increased demand.

Vent if you feel the need by all means, but have some grip on how a large scale production facility works, the lead times and the thousands of parts involved.
HSE Black MY16 (180 Ingenium), Santorini Black, Ebony Memory Seats, Black Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging. Golf GT Convertible and Mini First complete the family.

County

Post by County » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:41 am

:idea: But it shouldn't have happened in the first place.
:D B 1984 RR Vouge, Then BMW. Back to LR, H 1991 Disco 1, L 1993 Disco, N 1996 Disco, Y 2001 Disco, 53 Disco 2, 56 Disco 3
MY10 FL2 TD4 XS [Nav], MY13 FL2 TD4 GS Auto
MY15 DS SE Tech Auto Firenze Red 2.2 FL engine!

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:43 am

County wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:41 am
:idea: But it shouldn't have happened in the first place.
Did you read the first sentence?
HSE Black MY16 (180 Ingenium), Santorini Black, Ebony Memory Seats, Black Roof Rails, Detachable Towbar, 2 x USB in 2nd row, Delete Badging. Golf GT Convertible and Mini First complete the family.

Zedman

Post by Zedman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:28 am

silentbrown wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:49 am
Good result!

Discs and pads are wear and tear items, so not directly covered by warranty. I just had a look at the rear discs replaced only 5 months ago - already starting to corrode pretty badly.

LR seem to be just changing discs and pads without fixing the cause of the problem. Has anyone tried non-OEM discs yet?
What area of the disc are you referring to regarding corrosion? They don't look bad to me.
MY17 HSE Black Auto in Fuji White. Ordered 24th April 2017. Build date 9th June 2017. Del 1st August.

The garage: 2013 Nissan 370Z Nismo, 2014 Harley Davidson Breakout, 2001 Suzuki GSX750.

Return to “Faults & Technical”