Rusty brake discs & Calipers

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Atchen

Rusty brake discs & Calipers

Post by Atchen » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:09 am

Firstly I'd like to say hello to everyone on the forum, it been very helpful for me as this is my first Land Rover/4x4.

I am loving the DS and have a big grin each time I drive it :D

The other day I noticed that my brake discs were covered in rust, I/wife have been driving the car pretty much every day but didn't on Sunday. Is it normal for the discs to rust that quickly or do I have a bad set of discs?

wheel_rust.jpg

Discoloz

Re: Rusty brake discs

Post by Discoloz » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:16 am

That would be normal especially after it had rained or the car had been washed.
F-Pace 2.0 litre 180ps AWD Portfolio delivered February 2018

Sold Feb 2018 Discovery Sport 2.2 HSE Auto, Scotia Grey, Cirrus Leather, Black Roof, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel, InControl Secure, Service Pack, Barmeca Tread Plates, June 2015 model.

Atchen

Post by Atchen » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:17 am

Thanks for the Replies Discoloz and Moose. A quick run to the shops cleared the discs up :)

Tyrefitter

Post by Tyrefitter » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:12 am

Normal don't worry about it.

Andy
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2014 Evoque D-Lux Fuji
Previous motors
2012 RRS Red edition Dynamic Fuji
2012 RRS se Santorini
2015 Navara White
2008 RRS white TDV8
2007 RRS black TDV8
2002 RR Vogue
1996 P38 2.5 HSE
Plus many more.

GerriatricGeek

Post by GerriatricGeek » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:56 pm

Been renovating a 1996 MGF & had to replace rear callipers due to mechanism jamming in guides & the outer pad not reaching disc evenly. Symptoms are rusty rings & pitting around inner & outer edges of swept area on outer face of disc. Just noticed same symptoms developing on Oct 2015 DiscoSport, Black edition. Calliper design looks unnervingly like the MGF. Only significant on one disc at moment but other one showing slight unevenness of wear. Anybody else noticed this??

GerriatricGeek

Post by GerriatricGeek » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:09 pm

Thanks Moose, will get them checked out.

Phill

ccomley

Post by ccomley » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:15 pm

minor surface rust. Nothing to worry about. You'll see it on the day after a good rain or even if it's been through the car wash. The disc itself it still nice and smooth, the pads will clear the rust off the first time you dab the brakes. If you're worried, do that and THEN feel the surface with your fingers (remember the disc will HOT if you've been using the brakes a lot, but not if you literally just drive ten feet then brake to a stop) it should be smooth, i.e. your fingertips should not detect any grooves or pits.
---
Loire Blue HSE - pretty much standard. Arrived June '15
(1996 Defender 90 and her SLK share the driveway)

GerriatricGeek

Post by GerriatricGeek » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:52 pm

Don't think these scores & rust are surface rust - the grooves are quite deep & rough to the touch. I've seen the rust caused by rain-spots. They disappear as soon as the brakes are applied. These are much more like the well documented problem on rover/MG rear brakes.

1 (1).jpg

Ian825

Post by Ian825 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:29 pm

I've just had my rear discs replaced by the stealer less than 7k miles & showing similar pitting & grooves, the front ones were as expected shiny smooth. I had to argue a bit but they dId replace them along with pads and advised that they were to end the discs back to LR as they were interested as to whether it could be a batch or supplier issue.
HSE Lux Waitomo Grey with black pack!

GerriatricGeek

Post by GerriatricGeek » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:22 am

Land Rover assist just inspected discs & said they're OK. "Brakes are set-up for 80% front - 20% rear bias, so unless the brakes are pushed hard, rear brakes rarely apply much pressure & discs don't get polished". Hope he's right. I need to drive it a bit harder!! Off on hols with caravan shortly, we'll see if that polishes them up!

Return to “Faults & Technical”