Heater/Air Con Fan not working.

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Chippy

Re: Heater/Air Con Fan not working.

Post by Chippy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:14 am

Hauser wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:29 pm

I made quick video of this: CLICK

Can anyone confirm that this sound is not normal, before I confront my dealer?

Greets & thanks,
Hauser
Hello Hauser,

That’s definitely not normal. It sounds as though there’s a jet liner flying overhead.

Grüße
Gone

Andy A

Post by Andy A » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:36 pm

I was just about to start a longish journey to Dorset in the early hours. The heater fan did not work at all. It was very cold.
This is how I solved the problem. Maybe it might work for others.
I removed the five plastic fixing bolts from the battery cover (under the bonnet near side close to the screen), take care to remove the plastic bolts or they will fall into the engine bay.
Remove the black plastic battery cover.
Get a torch and standing by the the near side front wheel look into the space behind the battery towards the driver’s seat direction. You will see the blades on the inside of a fan. With a stick or pole (I used an umbrella) carefully turn the fan.
In my case it was quite stiff but then freed up.
That was it...
Replace battery cover. And sit in a warm car.
I hope it works for you as well as it did for me.
I now try to remember to switch the fan to full for a few seconds each time 8 use the car.

Burty

Post by Burty » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:07 pm

You maybe interested in my previous post. I have had this happen on several occasions. JLR have released a software update, my 2015 disco sport is up to now behaving. The update allegedly disengaged the fan motor brake. Have a chat with your local dealership. It maybe a recall upgrade. Good luck.

County

Post by County » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:55 pm

Mine fixed last week, new motor and alterations to motor housing have done the job :P
:D B 1984 RR Vouge, Then BMW. Back to LR, H 1991 Disco 1, L 1993 Disco, N 1996 Disco, Y 2001 Disco, 53 Disco 2, 56 Disco 3
MY10 FL2 TD4 XS [Nav], MY13 FL2 TD4 GS Auto
MY15 DS SE Tech Auto Firenze Red 2.2 FL engine!

PedroT

Heating/cooling fan intermittent fault.

Post by PedroT » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:27 pm

My car was in to have this sorted out in November and I have just had the problem again. The fault is that if vehicle has been unused for several days then the heater fan can become stuck and and this leaves you with no heating/cooling. This will usually resolve itself, especially going over a few bumps gets it going.
Following my last contact with Lloyd’s of Carlisle, l am to understand that there is no modification of this fan/motor unit and Landrover are not fitting replacements at this time and it is a case of waiting until modified parts become available!!
Landrover Assist will come out and get it going for you in the meantime:- hardly a satisfactory solution.
MY16 SE Plus Pano Roof Rev camera removable tow bar. Prev. Kia Sportage

Barnsh

Re: Heating/cooling fan intermittent fault.

Post by Barnsh » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:37 pm

Hi
Did you have the motor replaced the last time?
I ask as there is a topix fix document to replace the fan motor and seal the cowling cover over it where water gets in.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

PedroT

Post by PedroT » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:18 am

Barnsh: it was my understanding at the time of the previous “fix” that the motor/fan/cowl would have been replaced, however now I am not so sure, especially when L/R are now saying that there are no modified parts to fit to cars. This is one of the faults where a “fix” can be fobbed off on the punters as the problem very rarely shows itself ( only after several days of not using, and then only maybe). I think this parts replacement is a pretty big job and if there is no proper Mod. then LR will be unwilling to change out parts when it is so much easier to simply “get it going” and hope punter goes away satisfied.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:45 am

Pedro , they can’t fob you off when you start complaining of inconvenience .
Its either defective ir not , there is no middle ground really.

It might be worth contacting CRC stating the dealer is not helping you, it shouldn’t matter how long you leave it for.

Or you could take it to another dealer, you can get warranty work at any dealer.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Les

Post by Les » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:07 am

Pedro,
If the replacement has been carried out you can see the additional gasket under the access housing in the engine bay, to stop moisture getting in. How you check the motor has been replaced I’m not sure as it’s way down inside the hatch. As it’s a large job to remove the dash to replace the motor perhaps they try not to do it. It’s a known problem and loads on here have had the work carried out under warranty with no problem. Mine failed in the winter and with seven in the car the side windows were streaming and it was really unsafe to see sideways. LR Assist got it going with the long screwdriver but said if it failed again they would get it to the dealer and arrange a loan car for the four weeks till the parts arrived. Lots depends I suppose on how good your dealer is.
2015 HSE Lux, Auto, 5+2, Kaikoura Stone/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony Windsor 10 way seats, 20 inch 511 Wheels, Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Privacy Glass, InControlTM, Service Pack, Williams ceramic coating

PedroT

Post by PedroT » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:24 am

I think perhaps, in my case, they simply changed the cowl and a few squirts of WD-40 and hey-presto, repaired!!

Return to “Faults & Technical”