Votes: 1 2.3%
  • <t>Repair not successful even after 3rd (Final) Stage</t>

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • <t>NO</t>

Votes: 25 58.1%

Re: MY16 B Pillar Rattle ?

80K views 238 replies 40 participants last post by  Bolt 
#1 ·
Mine was built in January 2015 so one of the first off the line - No rattles or squeaks here and my car VIN is within those numbers :D

#2 ·
Hi, I am from Hong Kong. My DS produced in May 2015, also has the rattle issue at B pillar passenger side ( left side). Today I went to LR dealer, they honestly told me LR had addressed the issue, and LR UK had sent engineers to Hong Kong to help to find solution. It's been a few months already, they still can't solve it entirely. Maybe I had same experience with Audi A3 and A4 before, I am not very surprised, at least LR addressed the issue and willing to repair, while Audi dealership said they didn't know what to do and it was none of their business.

#3 ·
I picked my DS td4 se tech up mid October and drove round for a week with a rattle from the passengers side. I thought I had introduced it by transferring all the rubbish from my previous car such as umbrellas and box of screwdriver bits so moved bits around the car. Decided that it was not the rubbish so started with rear seat belts, seats, door cards etc. The thing that fixed it was the B post cover that I pushed and prodded to make a bit more secure (taking care as there is an airbag in there). Now rattle free but I do drive with the rear seat belts done up as the buckles do end up lying on hard plastic.

#4 ·
RogerT said:
I picked my DS td4 se tech up mid October and drove round for a week with a rattle from the passengers side. I thought I had introduced it by transferring all the rubbish from my previous car such as umbrellas and box of screwdriver bits so moved bits around the car. Decided that it was not the rubbish so started with rear seat belts, seats, door cards etc. The thing that fixed it was the B post cover that I pushed and prodded to make a bit more secure (taking care as there is an airbag in there). Now rattle free but I do drive with the rear seat belts done up as the buckles do end up lying on hard plastic.
Excuse me, I am not a native english speaker : what is B post cover ? ( I have the same problems with my brand new disco)

#7 ·
Philn, sorry, but if I am not mistaken you described the 'A' pillar, surely the 'B' pillar is by the driver's (or passenger's) ear, between front and back doors? Then the 'C' pillar is the wide one behind the second row of seats.

No?

#8 ·
Hillwalker said:
Philn, sorry, but if I am not mistaken you described the 'A' pillar, surely the 'B' pillar is by the driver's (or passenger's) ear, between front and back doors? Then the 'C' pillar is the wide one behind the second row of seats.

No?
Correct Hillwalker, apologies Powerdoc, as Hillwalker says the B pillars are in between the front and rear doors.

#9 ·
Hello,

I picked up our MY16 DS the day before yesterday and whilst driving it yesterday thought it had caught the dreaded B Pillar Rattle disease.

I've just got back from my dealer who is aware of the problem on the MY15 vehicles (Evoque was also affected) but had not heard of it on a MY16 vehicle which is not surprising since ours is the first they have handed over. VIN is 560...)

Anyway he drove the car for a couple of hundred metres and quickly located the rattle (which is actually more of a tick, tick noise) to the drivers side grab handle. Remember ours is LHD so that would be passenger side on RHD in the UK, Australia, Hong Kong etc.

I'd told him that a forum member (I think it was dshseus) had suggested pulling down hard on the grab handle which he (the guy at the dealer) did and the noise disappeared.

His supposition is that grab handle is not under sufficient tension and that the loose retaining clips are what is causing the noise. He's ordered new parts so I'll report back when it's (hopefully) been fixed.

#11 ·
I hope he's right too philn.

He was well aware that welding was necesary for MY15 B Pillar rattle. However he said the noise I have was nothing to do with the B pillar but is solely associated with the grab handle.

I'll soon know anyway.

#12 ·
philn said:
Sounds a bit odd to me Chippy, I thought pulling down on grab handle stopped the B pillar rattle but it had to be welded to fix it, hope he's right for your sake.
philn is correct, pulling down on grab handle stops the B-pillar rattle or makes the rattle less.

The horizontal metal that the handle screws on and the B-pillar's "T" shape metal both are connected to the door body frame (and pretty close to each other). When the handle is pulled down hard the tension and gaps between those metal pieces change.

Font Automotive exterior Rectangle Technology Screenshot

The red circle is the metal that the handle screws on. The "T" shape B-pillar metal is on the left, which requires the welding fix.

Attachments

#13 ·
Chippy911 said:

He was well aware that welding was necesary for MY15 B Pillar rattle. However he said the noise I have was nothing to do with the B pillar but is solely associated with the grab handle.

I'll soon know anyway.
Chippy911 - the B-pillar issue affects mostly MY15 models, however some of the early MY16 DS' are affected as well. According to LR's own welding fix bulletin, if your VIN falls between 501001-550001, then there is a chance the rattle could happen. If your VIN is outside the range, then it could be something else.

Hope this helps.

#14 ·
dshseus said:
Chippy911 said:

I'll soon know anyway.
Chippy911 - the B-pillar issue affects mostly MY15 models, however some of the early MY16 DS' are affected as well. According to LR's own welding fix bulletin, if your VIN falls between 501001-550001, then there is a chance the rattle could happen. If your VIN is outside the range, then it could be something else.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for this dshseus. My VIN is 560... so I'm hoping it's not the B pillar. Time will tell.
Cheers

#17 ·
We've had the car a week now and since the weather has gone much colder (daytime temperatures not much above zero C) the rattle has completely disappeared.
Apart from this the car seems to be completely free of any other rattles or the like.
I'll be keeping my ears open over the next few weeks and update the post as appropriate.

#19 ·
Well, it looks like I've definitely got the dreaded B-pillar rattle. I was at the dealership on Monday and they replaced the drivers side grab handle (LHD) but, as expected, it hasn't made any difference.

Since mine is the first MY16 they have supplied and they had just a couple of MY15 vehicles to sell the problem is new to them.

It's well outside the published VIN Range mine being 560... (nearly 561...). They suspect that the body may have been made before any production changes were made for the MY16 version. Maybe right, maybe wrong we'll never know.

They have spoken at length to JLR Germany and been told - yes there is a problem (what a surprise that is) and that are apparently 2 possible solutions.

The first is what they call a "small fix" and involves removing the B-pillar cladding and doing some relatively non-invasive work on the B-pillar itself.

If that doesn't work then it's going to be the big fix which we all know about. :(

#20 ·
From what owners who went to the factory to see their cars have posted on here the car is put together very quickly and surely it gets its vin number when produced, to say the body was made prior to the changes sounds utter rubbish to me.

#21 ·
philn said:
From what owners who went to the factory to see their cars have posted on here the car is put together very quickly and surely it gets its vin number when produced, to say the body was made prior to the changes sounds utter rubbish to me.
Exactly right, I went and saw my car, apparently 48h effort to build one but a bit longer total elapsed time. No stack of 'body shells' lying around that would be money tied up for LR and they're custom built anyway to order e.g. 5/7 seats changes rear panels etc.

#22 ·
wardie said:
philn said:
Exactly right, I went and saw my car, apparently 48h effort to build one but a bit longer total elapsed time. No stack of 'body shells' lying around that would be money tied up for LR and they're custom built anyway to order e.g. 5/7 seats changes rear panels etc.
I must say I tend to agree with both of you even though I know of enough cases involving other manufacturers where there can well be a stock of bodies, complete engines and the like.

The vehicle was built on September 25 which I assume was well after they started production of MY16.

At the end of the day it's irrelevant if it's got he rattle then it's got it and they've got to get it sorted.

I'll be writing to Pete to try to get an understanding as to why this can happen when LR supposedly took steps to ensure that it couldn't happen on MY16.

Apart from this the car is great, a joy to drive and a really good looker.

#23 ·
Chippy911 said:
Well, it looks like I've definitely got the dreaded B-pillar rattle. I was at the dealership on Monday and they replaced the drivers side grab handle (LHD) but, as expected, it hasn't made any difference.

Since mine is the first MY16 they have supplied and they had just a couple of MY15 vehicles to sell the problem is new to them.

It's well outside the published VIN Range mine being 560... (nearly 561...). They suspect that the body may have been made before any production changes were made for the MY16 version. Maybe right, maybe wrong we'll never know.

They have spoken at length to JLR Germany and been told - yes there is a problem (what a surprise that is) and that are apparently 2 possible solutions.

The first is what they call a "small fix" and involves removing the B-pillar cladding and doing some relatively non-invasive work on the B-pillar itself.

If that doesn't work then it's going to be the big fix which we all know about. :(
I had the vehicle at the dealership for three days last week during which time they were apparently finally able to locate the problem with the "ticking" noise from the B-pillar and have hopefully been able to eliminate it. I can't be a 100% sure because I've previously noticed that at below about 7 deg.C it can't be heard anyway and since then we've had only minus temperatures.

Anyway it seems as though the problem was caused by a metal clip which holds the "AirBag" logo cover in place. This seems to contact the main metalwork and, under certain conditions causes the ticking noise . They replaced the clip, worked through a number of service messages from JLR Germany (they didn't detail exactly what these were) and added a lot of sound deadening pads from a kit that JLR seem to have provided them with.

Since then I haven't heard the noise again but am waiting for some higher temperatures before I break open the champagne.

I was wondering if maybe this is also the cause of other pillar noises that some members have reported i.e. C or D pillars where the same logo cover is used. Just a thought.

#24 ·
I've had a B pillar rattle from the day I picked the car up new on the 6 May 2016.
Told the dealer a few days later and was told to book car in for inspection.
Just popped to dealer today 8 June and they are aware of the B pillar issue. DS has been booked in for a week from 4 July.
I was told they need the car for the week!!!
What they are going to do, I'm not sure. But I will be asking on drop off and making them fully aware of my knowledge from this website.

Has anyone had this issue repaired under similar circumstances and what did they do?

Miles

#25 ·
Hello Miles,

Sorry to hear about your dilemma I have it to.

I think if you read back through this post or another one called B-Pillar rattle you'll find the information you're looking for.

Good luck at the dealers.

#26 ·
Must report that I "sold" my car back to the dealer for $7200 less than it cost me to roll it out the door. Only drove it for 11 or 12 weeks and was never happy about specified items not being repaired. Never again with I buy or recommend a JLR product.

I wish you all good luck, this forum is extremely insightful

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.