DIY Towbar Guide Brink / Thule

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Mav71

Re: DIY Towbar Guide Brink / Thule

Post by Mav71 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:17 pm

BFGDSMan wrote:Plug and play. FL2 needed dealer coding and RRE needed coding by reconnecting the battery in a certain way.
2013MY facelift Freelander 2 DID NOT need programming.

BFGDSMan

Post by BFGDSMan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:23 pm

I had a 2007 and them mid 2010 ( last of the non facelifts), I guess by then it was on the same electrical architecture as the RRE?
Gone: SD4 HSE, 2 x TD4 HSE Lux.

His - Mercedes E220d AMG Estate & Hers - Mercedes E220d AMG Cabriolet

Mav71

Post by Mav71 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:29 pm

BFGDSMan wrote:I had a 2007 and them mid 2010 ( last of the non facelifts), I guess by then it was on the same electrical architecture as the RRE?
Your correct there about the pre-facelift. That was an old clunky system.

Bolt

Post by Bolt » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 pm

I have just fitted a tow bar to my DS with 7 seats and under slung spare wheel.
Firstly thanks Chris24747 for the excellent guide you posted, although the bars are different, it really helped me in removing the bumper etc.
I bought the tow bar from John Craddock for what I thought was a bargain price for a genuine Land Rover one. When it came turned out it was made by A1 Tow Bars and was missing the replacement "arse piece" that the spare wheel bar needs. After a phone call to them and a chat to their fitting workshop turns out they have designed it to not need this part so, as I don't like the sickyout bit anyway I thought I would give it a go.
I'm not going to give a detailed account of fitting it as it's quite a big job and I just wanted to get it fitted in the time I had available, makes me appreciate what Chris did all the more.
All I can say is it's quite an involved job, the supplied instructions are very basic and I had to cut more of the silver under tray off than instructions show but it does fit between the spare wheel and the bumper so I'm quite pleased with it.
The best bit is that it saved me £800, and that's including the dedicated wiring harness, on the price quoted by a Land Rover dealer to fit a genuine one with the "arse piece"

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited by Bolt on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HSE 180 Auto, MY16, Scotia Grey, Privacy Glass, 20" Alloys, Space Saver Spare, A1 Tow Bar.

pcheaven

Post by pcheaven » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:03 pm

Very good. Another labour of love. Though it's more work than I would have time for.

Nice one
Velar D300 r dynamic HSE plus toys
Gone : D5 HSE Lux + a few toys
Gone : MY17 DS HSE Dynamic Lux with all the toys
Gone : Orange MY15 HSE

BFGDSMan

Post by BFGDSMan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:10 pm

Great job. Sadly another glaring of JLR's inability to design a premium car that can be fitted with a hidden towbar that stays hidden when not in use (FL2, RRE, DS). Not too much to ask is it?

Still yours is better than the in house solution.

Top tip for non spare wheel cars, i didn't refit the black plastic under bumper bit as this needs cutting. After 9 months and a full German winter everything is clean and rust free. When I sell the car I shall remove the towbar and since there is no cut it will look as good as new.

townandcountry

Post by townandcountry » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:31 pm

That looks much better than the LR original with the arse piece. I'm going to get on the phone to my dealer tomorrow and see if they've already fitted the original, or if they can send it back and I'll get this done instead.
Rejected - MY17 HSE 180 auto, not as described.

Bolt

Post by Bolt » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:39 pm

Agree the spare wheel stowage is poorly designed, if you want to tow and are worried about the vehicle aesphetics I would not order the underslung spare.
My car was ex demo bought sight unseen so I didn't even know it had a spare, I thought great it's got a spare until it came to the tow bar!!
Price quoted from Land Rover dealer was £1232 including fitting😳 John Craddock supply only was £423 including electrics.
Made by www.a1towbars.com who also do fitting.

Posted on my iPad picture right way up, looked at post on Mac pictures upside down?
Last edited by Bolt on Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
HSE 180 Auto, MY16, Scotia Grey, Privacy Glass, 20" Alloys, Space Saver Spare, A1 Tow Bar.

BFGDSMan

Post by BFGDSMan » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:37 am

Here's a thought, could one remove the spare wheel and fit a "normal" bar? Is it just the cross bar that is bowed out to go around the spare that is the difference?

Bolt

Post by Bolt » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:33 am

No reason why not if you could find the right bar, although the one in the first post sits lower across the car and has large side brackets that could interfere with the two side exhaust boxes and mounting brackets.

One strange thing, after fitting the electrics the tailgate started shutting differently, before it just slammed rather crudely.
Now it slows before impact and another motor pulls it shut on the lock, like all the other tailgates I've come across.

Return to “Faults & Technical”