UPDATE ON B PILLAR RATTLE

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Leoniums

Re: : UPDATE ON B PILLAR RATTLE

Post by Leoniums » Sun May 28, 2017 2:49 pm

Barnsh wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:41 pm
Andyd wrote:Mine is back at the dealer for them to have another go at fixing the B pillar rattle. Explained that it may have to go to body shop for them to fix. Having read this thread I now know why. Is it worth speaking to LR Customer Services the car is just coming up to 2 years old.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

Andy
Before they start welding and chiselling make sure they check the gloss strips on the doors (front and back) they expand in heat and can tick too.

My reject was going to the body shop but I rejected the invasive repair as I'd only done 400 miles, whilst waiting for my replacement I found my drivers side was the gloss strip on the outside. I put neoprene tape down the inside of the front door on the overlap of the gloss strip and the tick went away.

One chap in Australia has just had the invasive chiselling on his car and it didn't sort his , the next dealer found it was the gloss strips , so his car went to body shop and was damaged for no reason.
Dealers are too quick to condem cars to invasive body shop work without doing proper checks first. You've nothing to loose by asking them to try this first.
Also make sure your doors are aligned first too as the gloss strip on front and rear rests on a seal on the pillar you can see this with doors open .

It's worth trying and mentioning this too your dealer.
Barnsh can you please add some photos if the mention areas? I am not sure if i understand correctly so some photos will be much helpful.
Thank you
DS SE 180HP Auto MY16
Santorini Black
Panorama
Privacy Glass
Cold Climate Pack
Trailer coupling package
Xenon, Fog Lights
Lane Keep Assist, Blind Spot, Traffic Sign
<<<Forgive my poor English>>>

Barnsh

Re: : UPDATE ON B PILLAR RATTLE

Post by Barnsh » Sun May 28, 2017 3:10 pm

Leoniums wrote:
Sun May 28, 2017 2:49 pm
Barnsh wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:41 pm
Andyd wrote:Mine is back at the dealer for them to have another go at fixing the B pillar rattle. Explained that it may have to go to body shop for them to fix. Having read this thread I now know why. Is it worth speaking to LR Customer Services the car is just coming up to 2 years old.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

Andy
Before they start welding and chiselling make sure they check the gloss strips on the doors (front and back) they expand in heat and can tick too.

My reject was going to the body shop but I rejected the invasive repair as I'd only done 400 miles, whilst waiting for my replacement I found my drivers side was the gloss strip on the outside. I put neoprene tape down the inside of the front door on the overlap of the gloss strip and the tick went away.

One chap in Australia has just had the invasive chiselling on his car and it didn't sort his , the next dealer found it was the gloss strips , so his car went to body shop and was damaged for no reason.
Dealers are too quick to condem cars to invasive body shop work without doing proper checks first. You've nothing to loose by asking them to try this first.
Also make sure your doors are aligned first too as the gloss strip on front and rear rests on a seal on the pillar you can see this with doors open .

It's worth trying and mentioning this too your dealer.
Barnsh can you please add some photos if the mention areas? I am not sure if i understand correctly so some photos will be much helpful.
Thank you
Hi
Although the thread I will point you to is for MY17, read through and at the end you will find what fixed mine, before handing it back. It now includes where to tape to solve the trim problem.
Appreciate it's a long thread but worth reading

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4278
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Natsweeb

Re: UPDATE ON B PILLAR RATTLE

Post by Natsweeb » Tue May 30, 2017 6:04 pm

Is two weeks without this problem good, then?

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Tue May 30, 2017 6:13 pm

I went nearly six months on my current DS before it started to tick. It's a replacement for the first one which survived just over one day. So maybe you should make your own judgement.
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Rejected B pillar ticking.
Going: Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.
Arriving: MB GLC 250d.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Tue May 30, 2017 7:06 pm

Natsweeb wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 6:04 pm
Is two weeks without this problem good, then?
Mine started after 2 months but some on here have survived for over a year and a half only for it to develope well outside the statutory 30 days or 6 months for easy rejection.
When I say easy you still have to fight all the way in most cases through your dealer with little help from CRC, unless you kick up a huge fuss. How you are treated depends on your dealer.

JLR have admitted they have no fix to date, this is clear by an open ended repair bulletin which you can find on this forum.

Oh and they've told us at some stage through dealerships that it's fixed , it's not.
You pay your money , you take a chance.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Iamthemanny

Post by Iamthemanny » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:26 pm

I am still trying to work out where this rattle buzz is coming from. Is this the B pillar noise please? It sounds like it is the base of the door plastic panel

Any help appreciated :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kib2cbhmnc88k ... 1.mov?dl=0
Junhe 17 HSE, Loire Blue, Entertainment pack, In Control Connect Pro, 2 usb sockets in second row, black roof bars.
Extra optional extra included :lol: Oil dilution issues thrown in as "Good will" due to my "Driving style" :( :( :(

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:34 pm

That sounds nothing like mine, the best way to describe it is like someone lightly tapping a coin on the inside of the steel. More of a ticking than the creaking that yours sounds more like.

Ironically, as I posted last week, my B pillar noise seems to have all but gone and reappeared somewhere in the lower drivers door card/door bin area......nothing trim-wise is loose there, so I'm at a bit of a loss currently.
Last edited by Badgerface on Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY17 HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
MY13 HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
MY12 HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

UZU

Post by UZU » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:37 pm

After 3 years and LR, CRC, the dealer all being involved in the end I had to roll over admit defeat and get rid of what was a very ‘friday’ car..... a customer lost, I shall never return after the way we were treated!
Discovery Sport HSE LUX, black pack, roof rails. Bought at Hunters Southampton

Iamthemanny

Post by Iamthemanny » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:48 pm

Badgerface wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:34 pm
That sounds nothing like mine, the best way to describe it is like someone lightly tapping a coin on the inside of the steel. More of a ticking than the creaking that yours sounds more like.

Ironically, as I posted last week, my B pillar noise seems to have all but gone and reappeared somewhere in the lower drivers door card/door bin area......nothing trim-wise is loose there, so I'm at a bit of a loss currently.
Thank you
Junhe 17 HSE, Loire Blue, Entertainment pack, In Control Connect Pro, 2 usb sockets in second row, black roof bars.
Extra optional extra included :lol: Oil dilution issues thrown in as "Good will" due to my "Driving style" :( :( :(

Newt

Post by Newt » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:30 pm

Iamthemanny wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:26 pm
I am still trying to work out where this rattle buzz is coming from. Is this the B pillar noise please? It sounds like it is the base of the door plastic panel

Any help appreciated :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kib2cbhmnc88k ... 1.mov?dl=0
Hi Lamthemanny.
I have exactly the same noise!! Both front doors it’s seems like. Have you had any joy finding out what this is?

Return to “Faults & Technical”