UPDATE ON B PILLAR RATTLE

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
hotfrog

Re: UPDATE ON B PILLAR RATTLE

Post by hotfrog » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:47 pm

Does anyone know whether this issue has been fixed on 2017 DS cars please?
MY17. March 2017 HSE 180 Auto Aintree Green, Almond interior. Privacy glass and removable factory fit tow bar.

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:10 pm

hotfrog wrote:Does anyone know whether this issue has been fixed on 2017 DS cars please?
Hi hotfrog,

There is nothing definite from LR or other members on this. I had the problem on our MY16 which was replaced by a MY17 vehicle which generally seems far more solid. But as far as B-Pillar rattle (ticking) is concerned it's too early to comment due to the ambient temperature where we are still being below the critical temperature of around 15C.
Evoque MY18 TD4 SE 180hp. Loire Blue.
DS MY17 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Aintree Green.
DS MY16 (Rejected B pillar ticking). Corris Grey.

hotfrog

Post by hotfrog » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:27 pm

Thank you Chippy.

My car is on order for delivery at dealer's on 17 March. It would be nice to know that this is history on current cars.
MY17. March 2017 HSE 180 Auto Aintree Green, Almond interior. Privacy glass and removable factory fit tow bar.

disco-disco-bob

Post by disco-disco-bob » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:10 pm

Just seen Andyd's post and thought i'd share some good news. Mine was back in the body shop for more work on the drivers side B pillar. They had cured the passenger side ticking but it was still audible on my side. The quality assessor was not not happy with the work done so i did not get the car back for nearly 10 days. They also put new rear discs and pads on and that has made a huge improvement to the braking; I was all over the place during the snow and the rear discs felt like a ploughed field.

So 900 miles later and I can report that my B pillars are currently silent. I was getting the ticking at all temps, down to about -1 degree.

Now I just need to take it in as the stitching is coming apart on the passenger seat squab. Will it ever end

philn

Post by philn » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:28 pm

hotfrog wrote:Thank you Chippy.

My car is on order for delivery at dealer's on 17 March. It would be nice to know that this is history on current cars.
There have been MY17 cars with the issue but not been any new ones reported for a while.
MERC GLC43
GONE MY15 HSE AUTO LUXURY, FIRENZA/IVORY

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:31 pm

hotfrog wrote:Does anyone know whether this issue has been fixed on 2017 DS cars please?
I had my my 16.5 replaced too, with an my17 but there another thread on here where JLR customer services say they are working on it as a priority issue , so I guessed from that it's not fixed yet. It doesn't affect all vehicles though .
MY17 does have better quality though as chippy says.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Barnsh

Re: : UPDATE ON B PILLAR RATTLE

Post by Barnsh » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:41 pm

Andyd wrote:Mine is back at the dealer for them to have another go at fixing the B pillar rattle. Explained that it may have to go to body shop for them to fix. Having read this thread I now know why. Is it worth speaking to LR Customer Services the car is just coming up to 2 years old.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

Andy
Before they start welding and chiselling make sure they check the gloss strips on the doors (front and back) they expand in heat and can tick too.

My reject was going to the body shop but I rejected the invasive repair as I'd only done 400 miles, whilst waiting for my replacement I found my drivers side was the gloss strip on the outside. I put neoprene tape down the inside of the front door on the overlap of the gloss strip and the tick went away.

One chap in Australia has just had the invasive chiselling on his car and it didn't sort his , the next dealer found it was the gloss strips , so his car went to body shop and was damaged for no reason.
Dealers are too quick to condem cars to invasive body shop work without doing proper checks first. You've nothing to loose by asking them to try this first.
Also make sure your doors are aligned first too as the gloss strip on front and rear rests on a seal on the pillar you can see this with doors open .

It's worth trying and mentioning this too your dealer.
My18 FPace, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Barnsh

Re: : UPDATE ON B PILLAR RATTLE

Post by Barnsh » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:44 pm

Andyd wrote:Mine is back at the dealer for them to have another go at fixing the B pillar rattle. Explained that it may have to go to body shop for them to fix. Having read this thread I now know why. Is it worth speaking to LR Customer Services the car is just coming up to 2 years old.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers

Andy
Have a read through in this thread what I did fixed one side of mine , my replacement car arrived before I got round to the passenger side.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4278&p=44987&hilit ... rip#p44987
MY17 HSE 180 gone

Natsweeb

Re: UPDATE ON B PILLAR RATTLE very worrying

Post by Natsweeb » Sun May 28, 2017 1:38 pm

This thread is enough to make me change my mind about ordering one to replace my Freelander 2, which is currently waiting to get back- end transmission whine fixed. Previous FL 2 had same whine:- rear bearing changed, then new rear diff, then new rear tyres, then another rear diff. Still whined on way home after all these fixes. Traded in for current last of the FL2s. I have had LR vehicles for nearly forty years and never had one that did not need major warranty work. P38A a large volume!
In that time we also had two Volvos (proper Volvo, not Ford) and five SAABs and never one warranty fix,and one minor recall for suspension bushes.
Should I get a DS or buy the extended warranty from LR and keep FL 2 (as a car, I like it)
I wonder if anyone at LR ever reads these forums.
PS- I didn't get where I am today by being sensible!

pecan

Post by pecan » Sun May 28, 2017 2:46 pm

Well I've had mine for almost 2 weeks now and I love it. MY17 and no B pillar rattle so far. 🤓

Return to “Faults & Technical”