UPDATE ON B PILLAR RATTLE

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
82TLT

Re: UPDATE ON B PILLAR RATTLE

Post by 82TLT » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:58 pm

This is why I took the refund; too much uncertainty for me.
These cars aren't cheap by any means, and I'm now starting to think they are purely status symbols built on a budget and no longer proper tools.
The D4 goes tomorrow, refund turned up last week.
82TLT
2015 LR550 Discovery Sport HSE 2.0 TD4 180 manual Corris Grey, Cirrus leather, Privacy glass, in control app and wifi, in control secure, space saver and service pack

Freeway

Post by Freeway » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:54 pm

The infamous B pillar is stopping me from buying this car.

PedroT

Post by PedroT » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:12 am

Freeway, no B pillar issues on MY16 far as I am aware!
MY16 SE Plus Pano Roof Rev camera removable tow bar. Prev. Kia Sportage

Hawks

Post by Hawks » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:59 am

philn wrote:
sweetpeaamanda wrote:Seriously if you have parts of the A,B,C,D pillars with rattles it means that the welds haven't taken structurally.
These are structural components of the car. Think Structural strength if the car should ever end up on its roof.
I personally think that dealers think this repair is a pain in the Arse so raming silicone, grease, paper and whatever they think
will stop the rattle happening. Land Rover Jaguar have released to the dealers what the repair involves.
Head ling and windscreen out
Welding in all prescribed areas
Body shop for the paint work scorching
Car of the road for 10-14 days.
Personally I would be chucking my car back at them and making sure they do the fixes probably or having a replacement car(Good luck with that).
before someone is hurt!
Agree fully, welds are put into specific areas of the car and add to the structural strength if a crash occurs, if they fail more stress is put into other areas that aren't designed to take it. LR have been welding cars for many years there has to be a reason why on the DS it is failing on a lot of cars. I have read that they have changed the method of welding after a certain vin number but owners are reporting the fault on much later vin numbers. This isn't a cosmetic issue like my mood lighting isn't bright enough but a safety issue that MUST be sorted.
Like many others, I currently don't have any signs of the noise appearing, but I am not sure if I should return to my dealer and record my concern, what is the best advice, what are others DS owners planning to do, go back to JLR now, or leave it until (if ever) it appears, my main concern is that it appears out of warranty.
2015 - HSE, SD4, Manual, Santorini Black, Black Pack 20" Wheel Option, Adaptive Xenon, Climate Seats, Fixed Side Steps, and the best option, 3rd Row USB so my granddaughter can keep her ipad on, no more are we there yet.

Freeway

Post by Freeway » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:26 am

PedroT wrote:Freeway, no B pillar issues on MY16 far as I am aware!
Hello Pedro,
This post might change your mind :) :

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2280&view=viewpoll

It is hard to believe that LR is producing cars with such an important structural failure.
Where do they buy the metals from?Are they not aware of the properties of the metal they are going to use in their cars ?

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:45 am

Freeway wrote:
PedroT wrote:Freeway, no B pillar issues on MY16 far as I am aware!
Hello Pedro,
This post might change your mind :) :

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2280&view=viewpoll

It is hard to believe that LR is producing cars with such an important structural failure.
Where do they buy the metals from?Are they not aware of the properties of the metal they are going to use in their cars ?
I would imagine they have to buy their steel from their owners TATA who, being one of the worlds largest steel manufacturers should know what they are selling to JLR.
But who knows?
Gone

wardie

Post by wardie » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:18 pm

Chippy911 wrote:I would imagine they have to buy their steel from their owners TATA who, being one of the worlds largest steel manufacturers should know what they are selling to JLR.
But who knows?
TATA is what the Halewood factory told me, at least for the normal panels but not some specific structural parts. Corporate cost synergies etc
Gone: MY16 2.0 TD4 180 HSE Auto, Corris grey, ebony leather, 19" style 902, detachable tow bar, silver roof rails, memory seats, InControl plus & secure, traffic sign recognition, HomeLink, USBs passenger shelf & 2nd row, service plan

sweetpeaamanda

Post by sweetpeaamanda » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:45 pm

When I was at Solihul I asked the question where they get there materials from and I got told various suppliers. They also said they change there suppliers frequently.
Spot welding the basics.
The material must be clean and dry and free from any glues or contaminates.
The materials to be spot welded must have no air gap in between.
The robot or machine must be setup correctly for the thickness and quality of the material
So if some cars have failed to spot weld the above three rules have been broken?
So my question to land rover would be what of the above has failed?
If its the second rule which basically means the curves on the inner panel dont match the curves on the outer panel because of the stamping procedure. I.E the tool is incorrect every car is affected untill the tool is changed to match.
A spot weld can take, I,E seem to work but not be structually strong? I.E fail under load
If anybody watched the Live BMW mini manufacturing process on BBC. They showed them removing a finished car every particular number and take it into a laboratory and cut the car up so that they could test all the welds on a pullng machine to measure there welds to destruction!
So which rule have Land Rover failed on?
And I guess they wont be telling us the whole truth?

Triple7

Post by Triple7 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:03 pm

82TLT wrote:These cars aren't cheap by any means, and I'm now starting to think they are purely status symbols built on a budget and no longer proper tools.
There has been a fundamental change at JLR since TATA bought the brands. I fear that you are right. These cars are being built to a budget which isn't reflected in the price tag. This is a conscious decision and I feel the new DS is suffering from these cost controls. If they are not careful JLRs reputation can be ruined overnight. JLR are trying to sell as a premium product, with costs the ultimate focus. Profit at all costs, happening with all business in this day and age..
Returned 2015 Santorini Black/Ebony HSE 2.2 Auto
Cancelled 2016 Santorini Black HSE Black 2.0 Auto
Bought instead 2016.5 Santorini Black/Ebony 3.0 RRS HSE Dynamic

TeoFabi

Post by TeoFabi » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:33 am

At this point my 2015 DS has been at the dealership for the past 2 weeks. I was told that the issue will be corrected this time (my 4th attempt) and I believe that the information from this site has been helpful for my U.S. dealership. Its my belief that the U.S. market is behind the times when it comes to this pillar issue.

Return to “Faults & Technical”