Discovery Sport Forum banner

Rear brake pads and discs

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TheGavver 
#1 ·
Warning light is on for my DiscoSport, 2 months short of 3 years and have done 33k miles. Went into Halfords yesterday for the free brake check and they said the rears including discs need replacing. Any thoughts on whether this is a warranty repair or not? Surprised it's the rears, they said the fronts are absolutely fine. Interesting they also said they couldn't replace them as they could not access the codes to I assume reset the system. Dealer call on Monday it is then!

#3 ·
Don't get me started on a peaceful Sunday morning…. I have just had mine replaced with the light on at 15.5K. Land Rover refused warranty (dealer, CRC and Case Manager) as they have reduced the warranty period (effectively) to 12 months on the pads and discs.

Would advise you get a LR independent to replace them who can reset the codes, to avoid a £600 dealer bill. To be fair, on modern car (no asbestos in the pads) yours is not a bad mileage.

What I'd do next time on any possible warranty claim is take it to the dealer, and if warranty is refused take the car back and get it fixed outside the dealer network.

#4 ·
Wensleydale said:
33k is good for pads and discs these days. Rears have the auto handbrake etc so tend not to last as long as front.

No it's not a warranty issue

Halfords really???

Any LR indies near you?
Used Halfords as booked in same day ….Wanted car checked as warning came on on Friday and I am off on holiday Monday and wanted to be sure car was ok to drive another 500ish miles

#5 ·
andymann said:
Wensleydale said:
33k is good for pads and discs these days. Rears have the auto handbrake etc so tend not to last as long as front.

No it's not a warranty issue

Halfords really???

Any LR indies near you?
Used Halfords as booked in same day ….Wanted car checked as warning came on on Friday and I am off on holiday Monday and wanted to be sure car was ok to drive another 500ish miles
My light came on a day before a week driving around the Yorkshire Dales, didn't get replaced for another 1K miles. You'll be fine, they leave enough margin to get them replaced.

#6 ·
Just out of interest, what are the recommended pad thickness before change? Mines on 53k now, had the rears replaced under warranty at 19k and still factory on the fronts. Car will be 5 years old in December, and I've got 3mm on the rears and 6mm on the fronts remaining.

It goes without saying that all 4 discs are corroded on the inners, but not scored or lipped. No warning lights whatsoever as yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.