Powered tailgate not working

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Lewis82

Powered tailgate not working

Post by Lewis82 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:20 pm

Hi, new to the LR family. Not long had my 2015 Disco Sport and the tailgate has stopped working, I’ve checked the fuses, they are ok, tried the holding the button in reset, it does its 3 beeps but still I have to manually lift and lower it. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Wensleydale

Re: Powered tailgate not working

Post by Wensleydale » Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:56 pm

How well charged is your battery? How old is your battery? Look there first if not consider replacing power struct.

There are oodles of posts covering this on the site and the search feature is really good
2017 SETech - Gone after 12 months

Paul41

Post by Paul41 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:22 pm

Does your tailgate open & close with the engine running? If so then it’s almost definitely the battery, usually the tailgate not opening is the first symptom of a low battery that i notice when not in the car.
HSE MY17 Corris/black roof/privacy glass/HUD/blind spot monitor-reverse traffic detect/surround cameras/wade sensing/ACC/ towbar/full size spare/Adaptive dynamics/Entertainment pack/incontrol pro/Mem seats/ATPC/Heated steering wheel/service pack/Gtechniq

Lewis82

Post by Lewis82 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:18 pm

Many thanks for the responses. The battery has a sticker on with the date 02/02/21 so it’s pretty new, I had it on a trickle charger overnight and have been on a longish run today in it so the battery should have had a good condition and it’s still not working with the engine running or not. Will check out the power struts next thanks.

sandbox

Post by sandbox » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:26 pm

As your battery is brand new (Feb 2021) I do wonder if it needs the powered tailgate reset. I know you mentioned this but try it again. I don’t believe in coincidence - new battery and tailgate not working - possibly when the battery was changed all settings were lost. Incidentally, do your windows and pan roof blind (if fitted) operate as expected?

To reset the tailgate:

Manually close the tailgate.

Press the tailgate release button.

Allow the tailgate to fully open or open to the previously set position.

Press and release the tailgate release button.

Allow the tailgate to power-close fully. The tailgate's programmed memory is restored.

https://www.ownerinfo.landrover.com/doc ... c/G1803716
2016 D180 Auto

Lewis82

Post by Lewis82 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:48 pm

Thank you for getting back to me sandbox. Yes all other electrics are working fine. Have just been out and tried the reset again and still nothing, 3 beeps and that’s it. Is there any tests that can be done on the struts that you know of? Thanks

Wensleydale

Post by Wensleydale » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:21 pm

It really is worth searching for strut or tailgate strut....there are many answers already on the forum.
2017 SETech - Gone after 12 months

DaveHep17

Post by DaveHep17 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:50 pm

I’ve just had exactly the same, if your battery is good then I’d be checking all the connectors on the tailgate wiring harness. Mine all looked perfectly fine but I found the plug to the latch had started to corrode so wasn’t pulling it fully closed automatically. I found that without the motor pulling the tailgate closed the control module doesn’t know what position the struts are in hence the 3 beeps indicating a fault. May not be your problem but it’s the cheapest thing to look at before throwing money at it.

Lewis82

Post by Lewis82 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:30 pm

Thanks DaveHep. Did have a quick look at the wiring but will have a closer look at the weekend. Found a replacement control module on eBay for £20, will replace that while I have the trim off also.

Lewis82

Post by Lewis82 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:08 pm

So stripped the tailgate down and found the connector going in to the boot release mechanism very corroded, gave it a clean as best as I could and the boot opens automatically now but still beeps when trying to close it. Think I’m going to look for a replacement connector and module as it’s only a matter of time before it fails totally again.