Maintenance charging battery

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Lofty1

Maintenance charging battery

Post by Lofty1 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:40 pm

I have just bought a CTEK MXS 5.0 battery charger and intend to use it following a weak battery start engine warning when opening the tailgate. I have some queries before using the charger:
1. My LR dealer said to just expose the battery by taking off the cover (being careful not to drop the fixings into the engine compartment). Then to connect the charger to the battery terminals. However the CTEK instructions say that the charger should be connected to the positive terminal and to the vehicle chassis. Which is correct as I don’t want to damage the electronics?
2. What is an AGM battery and is this type installed in the DS or is it just a normal battery?
Any advice would be appreciated.
MY2017 Discovery Sport 180 HSE auto in corris grey with black roof, privacy glass, tow bar kit.
Also 2012 BMW 330i Touring
Previous 2008 Freelander 2

EYR

Re: Maintenance charging battery

Post by EYR » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:11 pm

Connect the negative direct to the battery if easier, or connect the to the chassis if you are certain its a zero resistance connection.
The AGM battery is installed in the DS, the CTEK should be changed to 'AGM' via the mode button on the charger and it will give a higher voltage charge supply (14.7v instead of 14.4v in some stages of the charge).
Have not read of a CTEK damaging vehicle electronics, I charge via my towball socket with a CTEK 10 amp a little way away from the battery but it does the job OK.
Santorini black DS 180 MY16 Auto, Xenons, Electric deployable towball, Rear camera and new non rattly tailgate struts.

ntc

Post by ntc » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:36 pm

Ctek are correct.
MY 2016.7 Hse Lux 180
Gone should have built it better shame nice car cheap parts fitted from new, expensive dealers :roll:
New Rav4 AWD Dynamic LOVE IT :D

Lofty1

Post by Lofty1 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:40 pm

I know I should have RTFM. I now have read page 266 of the Owner’s Manual and it says under the heading “Charging the vehicle battery” that “If the vehicle’s battery should require charging, the battery must be removed from the vehicle”.
I am now confused as elsewhere in the manual that special tools are required to refit the battery after removal. Battery removal and refit should be carried out only by qualified personnel.
However, I only want to maintain the battery when the car is left in my garage for the days/weeks I am away and hence why I invested in the CTEK charger. I do not want to remove the battery every time I do this but also I do not want to do anything that will damage the electronics.
MY2017 Discovery Sport 180 HSE auto in corris grey with black roof, privacy glass, tow bar kit.

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:02 pm

In reply to your second question an AGM (Absorbed Glass May) battery is a special type of lead acid battery in which the electrolyte is stored in glass fiber mats between the plates. They are always sealed and need no topping.

As far as charging is concerned I always connected my CTEC charger to the battery plus and negative stud in the engine compartment and never had any problems. Same applies for my GLC.

Hope this helps.
MB GLC 250d.
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Both rejected - B pillar ticking.
Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.

Canuk

Post by Canuk » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:12 pm

Hi

I have the Ctex charger and I wired the adapter directly to the battery and ran the wires to a more convenient location. Now when I use the charger it is just a matter of popping the hood/bonnet and connecting. The charger is not high output so gassing is not a problem and I leave the battery cover on.
In a shop they would be using a much higher voltage and therefor higher amps and it may be advisable to disconnect the battery,, but removing the battery is not necessary.
After setting the charger once to AGM it will remember the next time and start in AGM mode.

Your dealer gave you the best advise and the other warnings are there to protect against people who should never even open their hood/bonnet :lol:
Blue Disco 2016
2 litre turbo petrol
5 seater

Lofty1

Post by Lofty1 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:10 pm

Is it OK to leave the cover to the battery compartment off when driving the DS? As it is a real faff to keep taking it off every time I want to connect the maintenance charger when it is in the garage.

steveohanlon

Post by steveohanlon » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:17 pm

I am not a professional and am not advising anyone to go against written instructions but here is my experience:

I have been using chargers on Land Rovers of many types over many years. When completely flat i used to take the battery out. For trickle charging i would connect direct to the battery.

In recent years i have used Ctek chargers, of various types, through a permanently live cigarette lighter socket. My vehicles have been left connected for months at a time whilst I've been away. I have not had a flat battery for years.

I now have a Ctek MXS 5.0 and as illustrated in another thread have fitted a connector to the towing electrical socket under the boot floor. I believe the 5 amps the Ctek puts out should be no problem through this connection.

I did this because of access to the bonnet in my garage, hassle of removing and refitting the battery cover and fear of upsetting the battery management software which is connected directly to the battery.

A permanently live cig socket in the boot would be ideal but i don't know how to do it.

As i say just sharing my experience. Like many things with modern vehicles these things are not as simple as they used to be!
2018 2.0 Si4 240hp HSE LUX

PaulCP

Post by PaulCP » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:41 pm

Just to add to this, if you have a towbar fitted you can connect a Ctek directly to the towbar electrics socket via an adaptor which can be purchased from the RRS/Disco3 forum
https://www.disco3.co.uk/shop/connectors-and-adapters-c8.html

In fact, I have one somewhere from my RRS days (7pin) which I can dig out if anyone is interested
Now: Lexus RX 450h F Sport + Premier Pack
GONE Jan 2018:- HSE Lux Firenze Red (MY17), Ivory Interior, Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Headlights, Surround Cameras,

Previous: Range Rover Sport HSE Black Edn, Ipanema Sand

worrasf

Post by worrasf » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:29 pm

Lofty1 wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:10 pm
Is it OK to leave the cover to the battery compartment off when driving the DS? As it is a real faff to keep taking it off every time I want to connect the maintenance charger when it is in the garage.
Hi
I have been using a CTEK CT5 "stop start" charger on my DS for over a year and an older CTEK model in my 2001 Jag XKR for over a decade (on continuously throughout the winter lay up) with no issues at all. In both cases I have used the CTEK comfort lead directly wired to the battery + and - terminals. I run the CTEK cables through a short length of black plastic flexible conduit secured with a zip tie just as it exits the battery compartment. All I need to do is then plug in the CTEK flying lead to the connector and I'm good to go. No need to leave the battery cover off. In the case of the XKR even after a 6 month winter layup it invariably fires up first time with no electric/ECU/memory issues.

Steve
MY 17 DS HSE Black
2001 Jaguar XKR
1994 Mazda Eunos 1.8 Roadster VSpec

West Yorkshire - UK