Series of failure messages on dashboard

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
DidierM

Series of failure messages on dashboard

Post by DidierM » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:31 pm

Hi All,
I own a 2017 DS since June-2019 (second hand, around 30,000miles at the time of purchase). Have used the car only for few months and currently facing a serious issue.
First, around mid-december 2019, i start to get the msg "Service required" on the dashboard when starting the car. I immediately took the car to a garage to check. Using the OBD, the saw the error code "U0001-81 High speed communication bus CAN". They performed a reset and the error code turned to "OK" on the OBD and the "service required" msg disappeared from the dashboard at start up. The technician told me there's nothing to worry about. Nevertheless, i performed engine oil and oil filter change, installed brand new brake pads just to be on the safe side cause i was planning a trip with family in the next days (about 1200km to go).
Went for the trip which took few days (everything went , the car was awsum, no issue at all during the trip).
On the day we were coming back (02-Jan-2020), as i was almost getting home, got the following msg appeared on the dasboard:
- ATPC not available
-HDC not available, system faut
-Stability control not available, drive with care
I continue driving (about 20km) till i got home. Parked the car and after few hours, started it and the msg disappeared. So far so good.
The next day (03-Jan-2020), i took the car to go out, started it, no msg on dasboard but few minutes after i left the house, i got a series of msg of following msg on dashboard with car stuck (could not adjust gear shift):
1- ATPC not available
2-HDC not available, system fault
3-Stability control not available, drive with care
4-Parking brake fault
5-Gear box fault
6-EBD fault
7-Camera system fault
8-ABS fault
9-Charging system fault
10- Check engine sign "ON"
I was stunned! just took a breath while observing all this cinema, tried to turn off the car but the gear shift wouldn't go down. After few 2 or 3 attempts, it wen down and the car could start again. The msg all disappeared but the "check engine" sign stayed lit on the dashboard. I immediately went back to the garage. With the OBD, again they found error code U0001. Reset it and the check engin sign disappeared. we performed some test drive of the car and everything was ok. No more msg. Told me i should use the car and come back if the issue appear again.
The next day (04-Jan-2020), in the morning the following msg appeared on the dashboard:
-2 wheels drive only, Traction reduced
I could still drive the car though, so used it that Saturday while waiting on Monday to take it to the garage. This time, this msg was constantly on.
On monday 06th-Jan, as i was taking the car to the garage, the car stopped on the way and again the series of msg already mentioned above came back, including the recent one ( 2 wheels drive only, traction reduced).
This time around, the car could barely start. Called the mechanic and we had to tow the car to the garage as it wouldn't start properly and we did not want to force and cause more damages.
Since then the car behavior have been constant. The msg will always show up, and once in a while when you will start it, they will some time disappear for few minutes and you would think the car is back to normal but all of a sudden they will appear again and the car will somehow shut down or get stuck with gear shift stuck. Since then the car is down and investigation are ongoing.
From the diagnostic at this point they suspect the fuse box but things are not very clear as i was told the issue could come from something else. The problem is the car is in my country (Cameroon) and we don't have proper Land Rover shops. Getting spares is not easy as i have to order from abroad. I bought the car from the USA few months ago...and obviously can't take it back there for repair.
I'm wondering if someone has experienced a similar issue and what was the solution. The garage is doing his best to identify the cause and fix the car.
Thanks.

SarahStreet

Re: Series of failure messages on dashboard

Post by SarahStreet » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:09 pm

Having seen various variants of both Jaguars and Land Rovers with similar messages, whilst it could potentially be anything causing it, from experience, my first port of call would be the battery. I would suggest a deep recondition and full charge to begin with, and also a full battery test - these vehicles are intensively power hungry, and the slightest drop in voltage can (and does) frequently result in all sorts of messages displayed.

Try that first, check the Ampeage when cranking the engine with a decent multimeter, and/or try swapping the battery for one that you know is in not just a good state of charge, but holding the same.

Your vehicle theoretically *should* be under warranty, (registering Territory-specific) and Land Rover have Assist in every country on the globe....you may need to call them to come and diagnose the exact fault via SDD if it's not something as simple as a duff battery

DidierM

Post by DidierM » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:50 pm

Hi @sarahStreet, thank you very much for this prompt reply. I will try change the battery and revert.

Thx.

Paul41

Post by Paul41 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:15 pm

Don’t get ripped off for a new battery though, I priced a DS battery up a few weeks ago and found Halfords the most competitive at approx £160 fitted (including resetting the battery management software)
HSE MY17 Corris/black roof/privacy glass/HUD/blind spot monitor-reverse traffic detect/surround cameras/wade sensing/ACC/ towbar/full size spare/Adaptive dynamics/Entertainment pack/incontrol pro/Mem seats/ATPC/Heated steering wheel/service pack/Gtechniq

DidierM

Post by DidierM » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:31 pm

Hi,
Some latest updates. Replaced the battery with a new one but it did not help. Still facing the same issues.
Any other ideas?

Regards.

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:11 pm

If not battery then connectors or units.
See here https://www.obd-codes.com/u0001

Could be something as simple as a plug and socket connector or water in a connector.

I’d be looking to see if you can get Landrover support.
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

Barnsh

Post by Barnsh » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:21 pm

Oh I’d also check your engine earth strap connections, I’ve seen them throw all sorts of errors by giving an intermittent supply if lose, worn through perhaps due to vibration etc.
My18 FPace, 25t, BRG, R Sport, Auto. 18 way mem Seats, ActiveLED, PrivGlass, ICTP, blis, cooled gloves, spare.
MY17 HSE 180 gone
My16.5 DS 180 b pillar tick ~ rejected :oops:
My16 DS 180 ~ rejected :oops:

DidierM

Post by DidierM » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:44 pm

Some latest updates. Replaced the fuse box with a new one FK72-14F041-AE. Problem likely solved (At least for now as no failure messages on dashboard so far. 3 days now since replacement). After installing this new fuse box, a system re-programming is required. However we are facing another issue during the re-programming process via SDD. There's one step that we can't achieve and we're getting the following message on the computer: "Failed to write target security identifier. Check telematics control module is fitted."
Got stuck here and can't go any further with the reconfiguration process.
Any advise please?

Return to “Faults & Technical”