"Low Battery, Please Start Engine" message....

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
geomacl

Re: "Low Battery, Please Start Engine" message....

Post by geomacl » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:10 pm

Thanks Discodriver. The earth cable was removed and cleaned. Only 3rd party item is an ipod touch which requires the ignition to be on before it draws power. New Gateway and Battery Management software updated. Dealer Service Mgr told me that all batteries lose power when not in use!! He said that they charge up their stock of new batteries in their stores once a month!!!!

DiscoSportDave

Post by DiscoSportDave » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Running a dashcam is enough to prevent the auto stop start from working in my experience , especially if most journeys are <20 miles and a fair few 'just popping to the shops' few miles. If it's diesel engined then starting takes a toll int eh battery charge. Stop/start systems should be copled with a far bigger battery than typically is fitted. Using the power tailgate, power mirrors when the engine is off also do nothing for the battery charge.

Most new aftermarket batteries come with a warranty of 12-36 months, with some, mostly calcium batteries, having 4-5 year warranty.

You could buy a USB charge plug for the 12V socket with a battery voltage readout - there are plenty available for a few euros, such as this one.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-12V-24V- ... ctupt=true
MY19 Landmark - Narvik Black, Traffic Sign Recognition, Reduced Spare Wheel, Alloy Pedals

geomacl

Post by geomacl » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Thanks DiscosportDave - good idea re voltage readout gizmo - will get one soonest

Garddelan

Post by Garddelan » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:31 pm

Just popped in to have a last look before saying adios, I've had enough of the myriad of problems with my bag of bolts that was the Disco Sport and have got rid of it, awaiting delivery of a new Volvo XC60 in a copule of weeks.

This post caught my eye as I too have had the 'Low battery Warning' fault, along with oil dilution (3 oil changes in 15000 miles) software freezes, water leakage into loadspace from the tailgate, rusty rear discs changed under warranty and the engine balance shaft changed under warranty. My 6th and last ever Land Rover.
March 17 DS HSE Black 180, Firenze Red, Adaptive Dynamics, Vision Assist, Privacy, 10 way seats, InControl Secure, Electric Towbar
Previous LR's: D4 SDV6 MY14 XS, D4 TDV6 XS MY10, Freelander 2 XS, Freelander 1
My 5th LR supplied by Conwy Land Rover

geomacl

Post by geomacl » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:12 am

Adios Garddelan - I believe that I won't be long in following you. Enjoy your Volvo - my neighbour has one and has been delighted with it.

Natsweeb

Post by Natsweeb » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:14 am

Update
Had "Low battery..." warning again, and as Land Rover Assistance have told me any red message and they have to be called they came out for the third time. It was an ordinary AA man who could only test the battery and as always, said it was 100% ok. He could not do any further tests and said to book it in to the dealer.
In the meantime the message cleared after three days, and the dealer had it for a day and could find nothing wrong. What they did find was that the "DPF needs regenerating" message was not appearing so they took it for a nineteen mile run to do this. I was surprised by this as probably 90% of my miles are motorway.
On the subject of messages, although not LR, a friends tractor that cost nearly two DSs had a warning loud beeping and a message "Danger! Stop engine immediately!" A technician came out and fixed it instantly. The tractor was not fitted with the equipment that the message referred to! He just unplugged a wire.

GerriatricGeek

Post by GerriatricGeek » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:49 pm

This started to appear on my May17 DS after the last Blue top-up. Usually disappears after a few miles or a battery charge. Came up again today but suspicions arose as I had just done an 85mile trip towing van down motorway. Tried battery volts with my trusty Fluke & it indicated a healthy 12.221 volts. Is this yet another case of dodgy alarm system throwing spurious messages out. Trouble is with the alarm standing the tailgate won't operate until the engine is started. This is the second DS Sport with electronic issues which always seem to start when the vehicle has been in for routine checks, recalls or top-ups. What do the mechanics do that they upset the electronics?

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 am

GerriatricGeek wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:49 pm
What do the mechanics do that they upset the electronics?
Software updates ...
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

Natsweeb

Post by Natsweeb » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:03 pm

Just had Customer Service out for fourth time for "Low Battery etc" message. I had just competed 104 mile daylight run.Software reset for fourth time.
Battery and charging tested and pronounced 100% healthy.
On another note, I don't think I would ever trust the readout on a 4 quid eBay USB charger!

geomacl

Post by geomacl » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:59 pm

I've given up on LR customer service - I bought myself a £50 charger from Halford (LR wanted over £150) and now charge my battery every 2-3 months. I've also stopped setting the alarm (two click option) and only locking the car when in the garage

Return to “Faults & Technical”