"Low Battery, Please Start Engine" message....

Faults and Technical chat for the Discovery Sport
Badgerface

Re: "Low Battery, Please Start Engine" message....

Post by Badgerface » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:44 pm

Just a quick input - when I had the pleasure of Land Rover Assist to my house one Sunday morning last year, the technician connected Red lead to Positive battery terminal, and Black to the far left of the engine block on the nut at the top of the mounting itself.
17MY HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
13MY HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
12MY HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Mamil

Post by Mamil » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:54 pm

Badgerface wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:44 pm
Just a quick input - when I had the pleasure of Land Rover Assist to my house one Sunday morning last year, the technician connected Red lead to Positive battery terminal, and Black to the far left of the engine block on the nut at the top of the mounting itself.
Was that for a jump-start Badgerface?

The instantaneous current flow in a jump start situation can be in the hundreds of amps, and can damage the sensitive BMS which is attached directly to the battery negative terminal, so it's best to have the negative lead attached far away, such as the chassis ground point you describe. That way the circuit is from the donor battery positive to the starter motor, and back through the chassis and the negative wire to the donor battery. The high current path bypasses your battery and BMS so is less likely to damage it.

However, when charging the battery as geonic was asking about, you are trying to push current into your battery, but only about 5-10 amps maximum will flow, which is well below the normal amps flow when the engine is running, so it's quite safe to attach the charger negative lead much closer to the BMS. In fact as I mentioned above it's quite important to the sensing mechanisms in smart chargers that they are attached as close to the battery terminals as possible, or under/over charging can result..
SE TD4, MY 2016.5, 110kw/150bhp 2.2 PSA Engine, Fuji White/Ebony, Oz towbar, xenon pack. Delivered 25th June 2016, Perth Western Australia.

geonic

Post by geonic » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:11 pm

Thanks Mamil for your explanations!
This encourages me in giving a new battery a try and hope that the BMS will recalibrate itself re. learn the values of the new battery shortly.

Anyway, I will try charging with the negative attached to a chassis ground point first. My charger Optimate 6 is limited to 5 amps.
Ordered 1st June 2015, Collected 20th November 2015.
HSE Ingenium Auto, Kaikoura Stone, 5+2 seating option, traffic sign recognition, heated front and rear seats, powered tailgate, privacy glass

geonic

Post by geonic » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:44 am

Thank you again Badgerface and Mamil for your advice!

I tried it once again to charge the battery with minus connected to a chassis ground point. Lasted for one day, then the 'low bat' warning was back.

So I ordered a new battery (identical Varta F21 Silver Dynamic AGM, 80Ah, 800A), charged it to full and installed it. Warning message is gone now and powered tailgate works again all the times (third day today). Stop/Start still doesn´t work, but this could also be due to low temperatures at the moment.

The old battery still had 12.6V, so I wouldn´t call it a dead battery. However, remaining capacity is unknown.
The new battery had 13V after charging. That quickly dropped to 12.8V after reenabling auto close of the window motors and fiddling a bit with the powered tailgate and seats. So at least voltage-wise old and new battery aren´t that far apart.
So at the moment, I just hope for the best :)

Best regards
Ordered 1st June 2015, Collected 20th November 2015.
HSE Ingenium Auto, Kaikoura Stone, 5+2 seating option, traffic sign recognition, heated front and rear seats, powered tailgate, privacy glass

RegG

Post by RegG » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:50 pm

Well, finally managed to get the car into the dealer for this to be looked at (and a service was due).....

They phoned me to say that the battery was in need of replacement as it wasn't charging properly. Fortunately, they are replacing it under warranty but have recommended I use the car more or trickle charge the battery if I'm not using it for a while.

I will have to see what its like over the next few weeks.....

Thanks for all the helpful replies.
2017 HSE 2.0 TD4 Auto, Firenze Red, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Roof Rails
Previous Land Rovers:
2012 D4 HSE, Ipanema Sand
2010 Freelander 2 HSE TD4, Biscay Blue
2007 Freelander 2 HSE i6, Stornoway Grey
1991 Discovery 200 TDi, blue

Badgerface

Post by Badgerface » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:14 pm

Invest in a CTEK MXS5.0 Smart Charger. It will be the best £60 that you spend on accessories for your home garage.
17MY HSE Luxury TD4 Ingenium 180ps - Aintree Green with Black Pack/ICTP/825w Meridian Audio
13MY HSE Luxury FL2 2.2 SD4 190ps - Baltic Blue with NO Oil dilution issues whatsoever!
12MY HSE FL2. 2.2 SD4 190ps - Sumatra Black - Gone

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:28 pm

Badgerface wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:14 pm
Invest in a CTEK MXS5.0 Smart Charger. It will be the best £60 that you spend on accessories for your home garage.
+1 for that ....
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

dangezza

Post by dangezza » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:01 am

Did anyone have further problems? Mine is at the dealers and one of the points I asked them to look at under warranty was the low battery message which appeared after only 4 days sat on my drive.
It started up no problem but still isnt a message I want to be seeing.
17 DiscoSport Dynamic Lux 180D: Yulong White, ICTP, LR side steps, electric/heated everything ~ purchased 26th Jan 2019 from MK Landrover
66 Jag XE R Sport 180: Black on black ~ now the wife's
62 Audi Q5 S Line Plus 2.0D ~ sold

geomacl

Post by geomacl » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:50 am

I have this problem regularly when the Low Battery message comes up and the boot lid won't open. It's been to the dealer a few times - latest being 5 weeks ago and the message is back.
First visit to dealer suggested a smart charger to charge periodically, and latest visit to dealer the BMS system was reset - this seems to have made matters worse!
I have never ever had this issue with any previous vehicle - Jaguars, Audis, Mercedes - I am totally disgusted and disappointed with Land Rover and am about to look at selling and replacing.
As I type, my DS is sitting in the garage with the Low Battery message - dealer cannot collect car until APRIL!!!
Very disappointing and sad as otherwise I'm pleased with the vehicle

Ian_S

Post by Ian_S » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:06 pm

geomacl wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:50 am
As I type, my DS is sitting in the garage with the Low Battery message - dealer cannot collect car until APRIL!!!
Very disappointing and sad as otherwise I'm pleased with the vehicle
Was this a new or used vehicle? And what type of journeys?
MY2016 HSE TD4 180

Return to “Faults & Technical”