Offroad in the sand

Post pictures of your Discovery Sport here
Neodrax

Offroad in the sand

Post by Neodrax » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:27 am

Getting seriously stuck in a drifting sand dune between nazi bunkers on Lökken beach, northern Denmark.

I must say the car is quite capable. The Terrain Response modes are very useful and the reason I got stuck here is my own. In sand it is essential to keep the revs up and the wheels turning fast. Here, I got stuck by letting my foot off the pedal, in a moment considering going left over the ridge. Bad idea. The car sank down on the belly and the wheels lost traction.

The old 110 came to the rescue just to get stuck immediately too. It hangs on its belly over the ridge. After some digging and a few phone calls, another 110 can come to the rescue and pull us out of our misery.

Regardless of this, I must say I am very impressed by the cars ability. It rarely looses traction in whatever situation we ended up in.

Just fyi I my vehicle is shod with General Grabber AT3s which are fantastic both off road as well as on the autobahn in 170 kms/h.

IMG_9624.jpg

IMG_9638.jpg

simon

Re: Offroad in the sand

Post by simon » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:41 am

It happens 👍🏻 Good to hear you got unstuck.

Did you air down your tyres before you went sand roaming ?
There are far better forums to be welcomed at than this one that locks threads because certain members can’t take a bit of criticism :roll:

Mamil

Post by Mamil » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:00 am

Out of interest, what size rims are you on, and did you go up in width or circumference for the Grabbers or stay with OEM size? Thanks.
SE TD4, MY 2016.5, 110kw/150bhp 2.2 PSA Engine, Fuji White/Ebony, Oz towbar, xenon pack. Delivered 25th June 2016, Perth Western Australia.

Chippy

Post by Chippy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:29 am

Those are great "real world" images showing what the DS is capable of. That and 170 on the Autobahn sounds impressive.

Keep on enjoying it no matter where it is. ;)
MB GLC 250d.
Gone: 2 x DS TD4. Both rejected - B pillar ticking.
Evoque TD4. Increasing problems.

Neodrax

Post by Neodrax » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:12 am

Hi guys,

I did not air down the tires because I was only down on the beach for a short run. To be honest they were even pumped up for heavy load (2,8 and 2,6 psi)! Not the smartest I know, but I didn't carry my Viair compressor on this trip. Wish I had done all that as the car now is pretty full of sand!!!

The rims are original Land Rover but 18" to provide more rubber making the wheels less prone to damage when curbing, offroading etc. I am very happy with the setup. Still, I have to point out that it was a hassle to get them as we wanted the car with Black Pack but it was impossible to fit them into the set packs. We hade to order black roof etc separately together with the wheels. Otherwise we would have had to take either 19" or 20" wheels. I did think 17" would be to go a bit too far as we normally use it 95% on high speed roads, so we found the 18" to be the perfect compromise.

To sum it up the car is great so far. I have done more than 16000 kms in it so far and it hasn't missed a beat. It runs like a Toy**a in reliability so far. Also, I must say I love the Active Dynamics. When you flip into the mode while driving the car stiffens upp significantly, getting more responsive and exact. It makes driving in intense traffic so much more comfortable.

Land Rover sure has come a long way in tech gizmos. It feels like you have three different cars when shifting between high speed roads, normal driving country lanes and mild offroad conditions (no rocks please..!). Good job!

Mamil

Post by Mamil » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:32 am

Did you stick with 235/60 for the Grabbers, or did you go larger? I'm thinking of getting some for sand work but not sure which size to get. Thanks.
SE TD4, MY 2016.5, 110kw/150bhp 2.2 PSA Engine, Fuji White/Ebony, Oz towbar, xenon pack. Delivered 25th June 2016, Perth Western Australia.

ccomley

Post by ccomley » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:41 am

Live and learn!

Two tricks for sand that Terrain Doodah can't help with...

- do NOT follow the tracks of the guy in front. Sand forms a sort of crust on top which can hold up the car (so long as you keep going!) but the car in front will have broken that up, so for the best chance of keeping going, offset from the tracks of the car in front (or your tracks when you're going back!) as much as possible or take a totally different route.

- let some air out of the tyres. Makes them wider and flatter and reduces ground pressure. But remember to blow them up again when you get back to tarmac! Don't drive fast on low tyres, the flexing of the tyre wall will wear them out really fast!!
---
Loire Blue HSE - pretty much standard. Arrived June '15
(1996 Defender 90 and her SLK share the driveway)

Neodrax

Post by Neodrax » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:38 am

@Mamil: I use the same size as when delivered so it is 235/60 R18. Looks ok I think.
@ccomley: for sure you're right. Bizarre thing was that the whole beach is quite stiff and solid but this particular "dune" was not! Also, I let of the gas when hesitating about the route to take! My bad. But fun!