Discovery Sport Forum banner

My new 2021 Discovery Sport in Silicon Silver and Acorn

9K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  joe p 
#1 ·
Just taken delivery today of my 2021 DS HSE in Silicon SIlver with Acorn interior from Lookers Battersea.
The loooong 8 month wait is finally over! :roll:
Will post more images and specs when I have a bit more time, but very pleased with her so far.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
:cool: Hi RafflesNH and welcome to the forum.
Plenty of good information to be found here.
Are they red calipers on the brakes?

#4 ·
County said:
:cool: Hi RafflesNH and welcome to the forum.
Plenty of good information to be found here.
Are they red calipers on the brakes?
Hi. Thanks but I've been around these parts for just over a year now, doing some research before I took the plunge. 😉 And yes the calipers are red and part of the Active Dynamics pack.

#7 ·
disco_stu said:
Was never sure of Silicon Silver but that looks really smart! Emjoy
Thanks. Odd they called it 'Silver' as it's more of a grey to me. Very similar to my last car a BMW 330Touring in Space Grey, but Silicon is a touch warmer in tone.

#8 ·
Remember having a brand new Discovery 2, in a nice bronze finish and when the V5 came the colour named on it was orange :roll:

#9 ·
Your car looks great RafflesNH, worth waiting for,
I've had mine just over 2 months now and absolutely love it, people are always commenting on the colour.
I love the 20" wheels and red brake calipers, that really finishes it off. I opted for the slightly smaller 19" wheels which I thought would help ride quality but I wish i'd stuck with the 20" wheels now as they look gorgeous on the car.
Is your car petrol or diesel? Mine is petrol and really, quiet and smooth although consumption could be better, but that might improve as the engine beds in. I've currently done 1,400 miles and still running in but doing mostly short journeys due to the restrictions. I will give it a proper performance test once I reach 2,000 miles when hopefully by then travel restrictions will have eased.

#10 ·
Nice Raffles, very nice indeed sir. Also glad to see I'm not the only one not to go for privacy glass this time, nearly chickened out but now it's arrived I'm glad we stuck to it.

How did you find Lookers in Battersea, got the last RRE from there and while they were good over sales they drove me round the bend over service plan and other minor things, to be fair nothing major really as the car was solid but I think they just have too many customers with deeper pockets than mine!

Anyway sweet car.

#11 ·
Vingmed said:
I've had mine just over 2 months now and absolutely love it, people are always commenting on the colour.
I love the 20" wheels and red brake calipers, that really finishes it off. I opted for the slightly smaller 19" wheels which I thought would help ride quality but I wish i'd stuck with the 20" wheels now as they look gorgeous on the car.
Is your car petrol or diesel? Mine is petrol and really, quiet and smooth although consumption could be better, but that might improve as the engine beds in. I've currently done 1,400 miles and still running in but doing mostly short journeys due to the restrictions. I will give it a proper performance test once I reach 2,000 miles when hopefully by then travel restrictions will have eased.
Sorry for delay and thanks a lot for your kind words.
Yes mine is the P250 petrol. I did consider opting for the smaller wheels too, but couldn't be persuaded to change the standard fit 20". I doubt it will ever go off the beaten track in anger, at least not under my ownership, so specced more for grace and pace rather than workhorse, I'm a bit ashamed to say. ;)

Whilst writing, have you tried the heated seats yet? Mine seem to take an age before showing any signs of warming up my posterior. Likewise the heated steering wheel. My BMW was almost instant, and I can't really see the point of speccing such an option if my own body parts have already done most of the leg work! :roll:

Nigel

#12 ·
joe p said:
Nice Raffles, very nice indeed sir. Also glad to see I'm not the only one not to go for privacy glass this time, nearly chickened out but now it's arrived I'm glad we stuck to it.

How did you find Lookers in Battersea, got the last RRE from there and while they were good over sales they drove me round the bend over service plan and other minor things, to be fair nothing major really as the car was solid but I think they just have too many customers with deeper pockets than mine!

Anyway sweet car.
Hi Joe, sorry for delay getting back and many thanks for your kind words.

Yes, I had the privacy glass on the BMW 3 series estate, but as I bought second hand, I didn't have a choice. However, whilst it looked ok on that car, I didn't fall for it in the Land Rover build photos and the glass area was much greater than in the BMW so gave it a claustrophobic look to me. But I was a bit torn, especially as it would probably have helped resale value when I need to shift it on, as most people seem to want it these days.

Lookers in Battersea were fine with me. I dealt almost exclusively with their service manager, Yiannos Praos, who always answered my emails promptly and courteously. However, owing to an error I initially made in assuming the rectification work needed to my car was going to be a warranty issue, I chose Battersea as it was the most convenient to me.

However, Yiannos was initially very confused about the issue as he had never seen anything like it before, but informed me the next day after dropping it off to him that the car needed to be rectified as a PDI failure, so the car needed to go back to Lookers in West London (near Hounslow) for this to be done.

He initially offered to have the car taken there, but as this was going to involve an added delay of several days due to Covid restrictions etc., I opted to go and collect it myself and take it there. However, Yiannos ensured that West London was fully informed and the service manager's name was provided. I was very glad I insisted that they were expecting me, as they had very strict arrangements there for accepting vehicles in for servicing etc, and one couldn't just turn up without a prior appointment.

They too were most apologetic about the missing locking mechanism and looked extremely embarrassed. But could offer no explanation for the discrepancy as they too had apparently never seen anything like it before! :lol:

Anyway, it all went very smoothly from thereon in, and just over 48 hours later I received a call to say that the car would be ready for my collection following a valet the following morning. It is now sitting on my driveway having a well earned rest, after having completed 126 miles of mostly dealership adventures! But I did enjoy a very pleasant drive back home on the A40/M25/A3 in the warm Spring sunshine. :cool:

Nigel

#13 ·
RafflesNH said:
Vingmed said:
Yes mine is the P250 petrol. I did consider opting for the smaller wheels too, but couldn't be persuaded to change the standard fit 20". I doubt it will ever go off the beaten track in anger, at least not under my ownership, so specced more for grace and pace rather than workhorse, I'm a bit ashamed to say. ;)

Whilst writing, have you tried the heated seats yet? Mine seem to take an age before showing any signs of warming up my posterior. Likewise the heated steering wheel. My BMW was almost instant, and I can't really see the point of speccing such an option if my own body parts have already done most of the leg work! :roll:

Nigel
Yes Nigel, I specced for grace and pace as well, hence the smaller wheels. As for heated seats I don't really used them but my wife does but she hasn't mentioned anything about heating up time. As we live in Scotland I always pre conditioned the car on a cold morning anyway.
Cheers

#14 ·
Vingmed said:
RafflesNH said:
Vingmed said:

Nigel
Yes Nigel, I specced for grace and pace as well, hence the smaller wheels. As for heated seats I don't really used them but my wife does but she hasn't mentioned anything about heating up time. As we live in Scotland I always pre conditioned the car on a cold morning anyway.
Cheers
Hi Nigel & Vingmed, asking you both as if I have things right you both have new 21 plate petrol DS's. Had mine a couple of weeks now and very happy, super smooth and quiet on the road as you both say....but....my brakes are really quite noisy for a new car - when applied hard they emit a kind of juddery squeaking which the first few times I thought was maybe them bedding in but it happened again this afternoon and it's starting to get on my nerves!

Don't remember this happening on the Evoque at all, anyone had similar experiences with fresh out the box cars that have noisy brakes?

Thanks!

#15 ·
Hi Joe, my car is a DS MY21 P250 and yes it is super smooth and quite to drive as you say, I love it. I took delivery just after New Year so nearly 4 months now but have had no issues at all with the brakes. I find them are very efficient and responsive and no noise or judder whatsoever.
Sounds like you need a trip to the dealer Joe. Sorry, but keep us posted.

#16 ·
Vingmed said:
Hi Joe, my car is a DS MY21 P250 and yes it is super smooth and quite to drive as you say, I love it. I took delivery just after New Year so nearly 4 months now but have had no issues at all with the brakes. I find them are very efficient and responsive and no noise or judder whatsoever.
I posted a similar reply earlier this afternoon but it seems to have disappeared!

Anyway, can confirm no brake noise issues thus far at 130 miles on the clock. It sounds as though he may have picked up some debris that has jammed between pad and disc. Or the pads have acquired a glazed surface. Either way it needs looking at as it's definitely not normal.

Nigel

#18 ·
RafflesNH said:
Vingmed said:
I posted a similar reply earlier this afternoon but it seems to have disappeared!

Anyway, can confirm no brake noise issues thus far at 130 miles on the clock. It sounds as though he may have picked up some debris that has jammed between pad and disc. Or the pads have acquired a glazed surface. Either way it needs looking at as it's definitely not normal.

Nigel
Thanks both & RoyalLondon for your feedback, I fear you may well be right and it's off to the dealers we go - well as soon as he returns my calls that is! I recorded the noise on my phone and sent him the mp4 so it's all on record, fingers x'd it's not a major issue but will keep you posted when I have more news.

J

#19 ·
Quick update on the brake issue on the new DS, dealership said they'd tried to recreate what I was getting and it was only doing it under duress, ie braking at speed. Now a/ I know for a fact the other day it did it even on very gently braking, b/ the old RR Evoque and the new Evoque they've given me as a loaner don't do it no matter how hard I brake and c/ I should point out I'm no wannabe Colin McRae either! The guy said he had 3 other 21 plate DS's in with similar reports and they're putting it down to the ABS kicking in but this would mean you guys above also with 21 plate cars would have experienced similar noises at some point?
Will see where we get to but so far I'm not convinced...

#20 ·
ABS cuts or reduces brake pressure, then reapplies it so it would be on/off squeaking if thats the case, plus you'd have to be pressing the brake pedal almost as hard as you can (in dry conditions) to get the ABS to engage. Sounds like dealer waffle to me. You can (usually) feel the ABS cutting in as the brake pedal pulsing under your foot, if you've felt that in normal conditions then maybe it's cutting in too early.

I suspect it's more that as you don't drive like Colin McRae, that the brakes haven't or are still bedding in and are just going through a phase where it's hitting the resonant frequency. A few high speed, high pressure stops would sort that out and encourage the pads to fully engage the disc.

#21 ·
Dashnine said:
ABS cuts or reduces brake pressure, then reapplies it so it would be on/off squeaking if thats the case, plus you'd have to be pressing the brake pedal almost as hard as you can (in dry conditions) to get the ABS to engage. Sounds like dealer waffle to me. You can (usually) feel the ABS cutting in as the brake pedal pulsing under your foot, if you've felt that in normal conditions then maybe it's cutting in too early.

I suspect it's more that as you don't drive like Colin McRae, that the brakes haven't or are still bedding in and are just going through a phase where it's hitting the resonant frequency. A few high speed, high pressure stops would sort that out and encourage the pads to fully engage the disc.
Thanks Dashine, glad I'm not the only one scratching my head at their 'explanation', saying that at least these guys are talking to me, with my last dealership I'd still be waiting in reception watching BBC News drinking endless coffees! I'm hoping it's the bedding in too, time will tell I guess....

#22 ·
joe p said:
Dashnine said:

Thanks Dashine, glad I'm not the only one scratching my head at their 'explanation', saying that at least these guys are talking to me, with my last dealership I'd still be waiting in reception watching BBC News drinking endless coffees! I'm hoping it's the bedding in too, time will tell I guess....
You could always try a bit of "If in doubt - flat out"! That was Colin McRaes motto when unsure of the road ahead and probably the cause of some of his bigger rally accidents. If you have a dual carriageway terminating in a roundabout a few repeated stops from 70mph will help them bed in, and give you some idea of the braking capability of the car.

#23 ·
joe p said:
Quick update on the brake issue on the new DS, dealership said they'd tried to recreate what I was getting and it was only doing it under duress, ie braking at speed. Now a/ I know for a fact the other day it did it even on very gently braking, b/ the old RR Evoque and the new Evoque they've given me as a loaner don't do it no matter how hard I brake and c/ I should point out I'm no wannabe Colin McRae either! The guy said he had 3 other 21 plate DS's in with similar reports and they're putting it down to the ABS kicking in but this would mean you guys above also with 21 plate cars would have experienced similar noises at some point?
Joe,

I have a look at the diagnostics/troubleshooting section of my recently acquired workshop manual, and noted some interesting things in there about how they should both diagnose and remedy these kind of brake issues.
They split the guidance into 2 sections; one dealing with cars with 325mm (Front) and 300mm (Rear) discs, and another dealing with cars fitted with the larger 349mm (Front) and 325mm (Rear) discs, such as those fitted to my car (P250).

For the smaller discs, they simply recommend replacing the pads all round (or depending on where the noise is coming from).
But for the larger discs, they state "Raise an Electronic Product Quality Report (EPQR); attach a noise file*; a brake questionnaire and any other supporting evidence" and submit it to JLR.
NB: The Noise File they mention is to be obtained using some equipment called a "Steelman Chassis EAR". Also the 'Questionnaire' mentioned is also reproduced in the workshop manual, and I will send you a screenshot copy of all the above by DM, as I don't wish to fall foul of copyright.

Nigel

#24 ·
RafflesNH said:
joe p said:
Joe,

I have a look at the diagnostics/troubleshooting section of my recently acquired workshop manual, and noted some interesting things in there about how they should both diagnose and remedy these kind of brake issues.
They split the guidance into 2 sections; one dealing with cars with 325mm (Front) and 300mm (Rear) discs, and another dealing with cars fitted with the larger 349mm (Front) and 325mm (Rear) discs, such as those fitted to my car (P250).

For the smaller discs, they simply recommend replacing the pads all round (or depending on where the noise is coming from).
But for the larger discs, they state "Raise an Electronic Product Quality Report (EPQR); attach a noise file*; a brake questionnaire and any other supporting evidence" and submit it to JLR.
NB: The Noise File they mention is to be obtained using some equipment called a "Steelman Chassis EAR". Also the 'Questionnaire' mentioned is also reproduced in the workshop manual, and I will send you a screenshot copy of all the above by DM, as I don't wish to fall foul of copyright.

Nigel
I would imagine the lower spec brake issue is well known and the pad change usually sorts noise issue. Perhaps the higher brake spec doesn't usually have issue (or its a new spec / supplier) and JLR want to have evidence so they can analyse the source of the noise.

I used to do this years ago driving around in cars with prototype brakes in order to provoke brake noise in order to work out where it was coming from (i.e. which bit was vibrating).

#25 ·
RafflesNH said:
joe p said:
Joe,

Nigel
Thanks for this Nigel very helpful, I will have a look at the documents you've sent and I can always use them if the problem persists and I don't get any joy from the dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.