My new 2021 Discovery Sport in Silicon Silver and Acorn

Post pictures of your Discovery Sport here
joe p

Re: My new 2021 Discovery Sport in Silicon Silver and Acorn

Post by joe p » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:03 pm

Dashnine wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:16 pm
ABS cuts or reduces brake pressure, then reapplies it so it would be on/off squeaking if thats the case, plus you’d have to be pressing the brake pedal almost as hard as you can (in dry conditions) to get the ABS to engage. Sounds like dealer waffle to me. You can (usually) feel the ABS cutting in as the brake pedal pulsing under your foot, if you’ve felt that in normal conditions then maybe it’s cutting in too early.

I suspect it’s more that as you don’t drive like Colin McRae, that the brakes haven’t or are still bedding in and are just going through a phase where it’s hitting the resonant frequency. A few high speed, high pressure stops would sort that out and encourage the pads to fully engage the disc.
Thanks Dashine, glad I'm not the only one scratching my head at their 'explanation', saying that at least these guys are talking to me, with my last dealership I'd still be waiting in reception watching BBC News drinking endless coffees! I'm hoping it's the bedding in too, time will tell I guess....
2021 LR Discovery Sport R Dynamic SE Byron Blue
1982 LR Series 3 88 Safari
2017 MY RR Evoque HSE
1968 Volvo Amazon 123 GT

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:52 pm

joe p wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:03 pm
Dashnine wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:16 pm
ABS cuts or reduces brake pressure, then reapplies it so it would be on/off squeaking if thats the case, plus you’d have to be pressing the brake pedal almost as hard as you can (in dry conditions) to get the ABS to engage. Sounds like dealer waffle to me. You can (usually) feel the ABS cutting in as the brake pedal pulsing under your foot, if you’ve felt that in normal conditions then maybe it’s cutting in too early.

I suspect it’s more that as you don’t drive like Colin McRae, that the brakes haven’t or are still bedding in and are just going through a phase where it’s hitting the resonant frequency. A few high speed, high pressure stops would sort that out and encourage the pads to fully engage the disc.
Thanks Dashine, glad I'm not the only one scratching my head at their 'explanation', saying that at least these guys are talking to me, with my last dealership I'd still be waiting in reception watching BBC News drinking endless coffees! I'm hoping it's the bedding in too, time will tell I guess....
You could always try a bit of "If in doubt - flat out"! That was Colin McRaes motto when unsure of the road ahead and probably the cause of some of his bigger rally accidents. If you have a dual carriageway terminating in a roundabout a few repeated stops from 70mph will help them bed in, and give you some idea of the braking capability of the car.
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

RafflesNH

Post by RafflesNH » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:31 pm

joe p wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:35 pm
Quick update on the brake issue on the new DS, dealership said they'd tried to recreate what I was getting and it was only doing it under duress, ie braking at speed. Now a/ I know for a fact the other day it did it even on very gently braking, b/ the old RR Evoque and the new Evoque they've given me as a loaner don't do it no matter how hard I brake and c/ I should point out I'm no wannabe Colin McRae either! The guy said he had 3 other 21 plate DS's in with similar reports and they're putting it down to the ABS kicking in but this would mean you guys above also with 21 plate cars would have experienced similar noises at some point?
Will see where we get to but so far I'm not convinced...

Joe,

I have a look at the diagnostics/troubleshooting section of my recently acquired workshop manual, and noted some interesting things in there about how they should both diagnose and remedy these kind of brake issues.
They split the guidance into 2 sections; one dealing with cars with 325mm (Front) and 300mm (Rear) discs, and another dealing with cars fitted with the larger 349mm (Front) and 325mm (Rear) discs, such as those fitted to my car (P250).

For the smaller discs, they simply recommend replacing the pads all round (or depending on where the noise is coming from).
But for the larger discs, they state "Raise an Electronic Product Quality Report (EPQR); attach a noise file*; a brake questionnaire and any other supporting evidence" and submit it to JLR.
NB: The Noise File they mention is to be obtained using some equipment called a "Steelman Chassis EAR". Also the 'Questionnaire' mentioned is also reproduced in the workshop manual, and I will send you a screenshot copy of all the above by DM, as I don't wish to fall foul of copyright.

Nigel
2021MY Discovery Sport P250 HSE in Silicon Silver/Acorn delivered with missing tailgate soft close mechanism!

Dashnine

Post by Dashnine » Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:57 pm

RafflesNH wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:31 pm
joe p wrote:
Quick update on the brake issue on the new DS, dealership said they'd tried to recreate what I was getting and it was only doing it under duress, ie braking at speed. Now a/ I know for a fact the other day it did it even on very gently braking, b/ the old RR Evoque and the new Evoque they've given me as a loaner don't do it no matter how hard I brake and c/ I should point out I'm no wannabe Colin McRae either! The guy said he had 3 other 21 plate DS's in with similar reports and they're putting it down to the ABS kicking in but this would mean you guys above also with 21 plate cars would have experienced similar noises at some point?

Joe,

I have a look at the diagnostics/troubleshooting section of my recently acquired workshop manual, and noted some interesting things in there about how they should both diagnose and remedy these kind of brake issues.
They split the guidance into 2 sections; one dealing with cars with 325mm (Front) and 300mm (Rear) discs, and another dealing with cars fitted with the larger 349mm (Front) and 325mm (Rear) discs, such as those fitted to my car (P250).

For the smaller discs, they simply recommend replacing the pads all round (or depending on where the noise is coming from).
But for the larger discs, they state "Raise an Electronic Product Quality Report (EPQR); attach a noise file*; a brake questionnaire and any other supporting evidence" and submit it to JLR.
NB: The Noise File they mention is to be obtained using some equipment called a "Steelman Chassis EAR". Also the 'Questionnaire' mentioned is also reproduced in the workshop manual, and I will send you a screenshot copy of all the above by DM, as I don't wish to fall foul of copyright.

Nigel
I would imagine the lower spec brake issue is well known and the pad change usually sorts noise issue. Perhaps the higher brake spec doesn't usually have issue (or its a new spec / supplier) and JLR want to have evidence so they can analyse the source of the noise.

I used to do this years ago driving around in cars with prototype brakes in order to provoke brake noise in order to work out where it was coming from (i.e. which bit was vibrating).
MY19 P240 HSE, Indus Silver, Black Pack, Privacy Glass, 12 Way Memory Seats, Roof Rails, Spacesaver, Cold Climate Pack, 2 x USB in 1st & 2nd rows.
Gone: MY16 D180 HSE Black, Santorini Black

joe p

Post by joe p » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:40 pm

RafflesNH wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:31 pm
joe p wrote:

Joe,

Nigel
Thanks for this Nigel very helpful, I will have a look at the documents you've sent and I can always use them if the problem persists and I don't get any joy from the dealer.
2021 LR Discovery Sport R Dynamic SE Byron Blue
1982 LR Series 3 88 Safari
2017 MY RR Evoque HSE
1968 Volvo Amazon 123 GT