Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am starting to get upset with my order.
I sign the contract last february for a delivery in July. This delivery was very important as I needed this car for the holidays.
Anyway in May, I got the news that old engines were no more available and I will get a new engine; but the car will be delivered only in september :(

They advise me to change the engine to the more powerful ingenium as it was less requested and the chances were better to get it early September.
For an extra 2000 euro, I bought it. They promise me that the in-control would be included :D . I find this feature nice and was even happy to get better engine and the incontrol for an extra 2 months delay.

Today, I call to ask for news and a precise delivery date and it was the shock.

My car as I have configured could be produced only in January 2016 with an expected delivery in february. furthermore if I want to wait for the in-control I need to wait until end of december 2016....
It would mean 22 months after the order!!!!! Even Ferrari has faster delivery. I am really thinking to cancel this order.....

But as I am dreaming with this car since nearly 5 months and it will be my first Land rover, I am a bit confused. so my question to all the happy owners from a DS.

Is this car really so nice that I won't be desapointed after waiting it for one year?
I will give up with the in-control, I don't want to wait another year.... maybe can it be installed later,

cheers
Javi

·
Registered
270 Posts
The problem is that when you wait so long for a vehicle you build your hopes up very high, and given the quality problems with the Discovery Sport, I think you'll be forever disappointed... at least that's been my experience so far. I have a real love-hate relationship with it at the moment. Perhaps in time, if they fix my problems and then it's OK for a good long stretch, I could learn to love it again. But I couldn't bring myself to wait again for this vehicle and there's no way I'd wait a year.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Javi, are you in Spain or another part of Europe?

I am pretty sure Customer Services should be able to get you an October 2015 car if your story checks out. I mean DID your dealer put the order down in February 2015 or somehow gave your building slot to another customer? Pete should step in here...

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
I feel for you Javi :shock:

I wouldn't be happy in your position and much as I love LRs I would be looking at another brand now :oops:

I really hope you get sorted because this is unacceptable :evil:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well one of my customers yesterday who has worked at land rover as a salesman near me for over 10 years said they were getting fed up with the problems, Air Con, rattles, and so on, advised me to wait at least six months after new engine release as they were having crank problems with new engine, needless to say he did not know l had my DS parked out the back. l have no reason to not believe him as l have known him for 10 years now. He said main problem with DS was most parts are supplied from non existing suppliers and not as good, but cheaper, also land rover trying to push too many cars through without the quility control like previous models, and he did point out it will get worse, as they have 3 new models planed, Discovery, Evoque XL, and Defender all while they have problems with existing run of cars. Personally l think there is a lot of China in the DS, in fact a lot more than they are letting on, these cars in my view are £8000 to £10000 over priced.....

·
Registered
796 Posts
I wouldn't wait 12 months for a new DS I waited 3 months for mine which was long enough and my excitement had worn off by then ... apart from a few rattles dab radio brake light issue and tailgate seals which my dealer has sorted I think know I have one of the good ones (touch wood) ... The car looks amazing especially in the colour I chose pictures are in gallery ... and attracts a lot of attention and admiring looks where ever I go ... I am however now thinking of selling it .

·
Registered
796 Posts
I do also think the new engine is going to introduce many new problem s

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I don't doubt in the slightest that there are a lot of Chinese components being used in the DS. Its nothing new and by no means restricted to JLR.

You'd be surprised how many parts the German premium manufacturers source from there and other other low wage countries. That includes complete sub assemblies for cars like the SLK coming from low wage European countries. There is a complete "tourism" branch for parts that has grown up over the past probably 15 to 20 years. i.e. components, sub assemblies and the like travelling thousands of miles before they end up in the car.

It's the way it is and no matter how much or how little you pay for something it will always be the case.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Let's not get too pessimistic life can be difficult enough as it is. If we don't like it, no matter what it is, there is always a choice you just have to accept the consequences.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Chippy911 said:
I don't doubt in the slightest that there are a lot of Chinese components being used in the DS. Its nothing new and by no means restricted to JLR.

You'd be surprised how many parts the German premium manufacturers source from there and other other low wage countries. That includes complete sub assemblies for cars like the SLK coming from low wage European countries. There is a complete "tourism" branch for parts that has grown up over the past probably 15 to 20 years. i.e. components, sub assemblies and the like travelling thousands of miles before they end up in the car.

It's the way it is and no matter how much or how little you pay for something it will always be the case.
Yes yes yes we all understand that there has to be a bit of China to keep the price down, the difference here is the Germans know how to fit the china parts correctly, so they don't rattle.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Sorry I spoke I'm sure. Just don't think that the Germans (I happen to be one) don't have exactly the same problems. I spent well over a year getting rattles and inferior wood trim sorted on our E Class and a BWM we had wasn't much better either.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Javi

I share a lot of your pain.

Below is a draft of the email that I have not yet sent my dealer, but am tempted to. Not sure if it will help or hinder me though - any suggestions welcome!

]Dear Grange (Range Rover Barnet)

Regarding the lack of a courtesy car vehicle, I'm afraid that is very disappointing - and I would formally ask that this now escalated please.

In short, Mark L and Toby were fully aware when I ordered the car in February, that it needed to arrive ASAP because we needed the bigger for my wife who was pregnant. She was due in July, and we specifically discussed that I needed it in April, and Mark / Toby said we would get it latest by May since that would allow us a bit of time with the car for her to get used to it.

Mark was also aware, as was Toby, that I was going to ask you to part-ex my Audi A5 sportback. I had a long chat with Toby and Mark about this because it was a big decision converting from Audi to Range Rover.

Mark was also aware that I was selling this privately too, although preferred to sell it via yourselves. Mark said he could not give a quote until 6 weeks before delivery. He was aware of me putting it for sale privately, since I sent him the autotrader advert which he shared with colleagues of yours.

Expecting the car to arrive in May (as had been promised) I sold the car on 5th May (for £15k). I had no need to sell the car, and in fact was sad to sell it since it was in great condition but clearly I don't need two cars.

I now have no car at all until 10th September and my wife is due go into labour any time in the next 4-6 weeks. This makes it very difficult for us.
if you cannot provide a car (any car is fine as long as it is automatic) then I will expect you to provide or reimburse rental costs up until September.

I have proof of all of the above and dozens of emails to back up every bit of this.

I am very excited to get this car and can't wait. It is unfortunate that both Toby and Mark have left, but that is not my issue.

I do not want to get the press involved but if you google my name, or my company name, I have the means to do so.

thanks
Abhishek

--

Abhishek Sachdev
Managing Director
www.vedantahedging.com
Vedanta Hedging Limited, Acre House,
11-15 William Road, London NW1 3ER
0207 183 2277 I Twitter: @VedantaHedging
Vedanta Hedging Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority[/i][/i]

·
Registered
829 Posts
I would not put such emails on a public forum. Why not resolve things with the dealer or if needed via LR Customer Services? I would remove

·
Registered
353 Posts
KaikouraDiscoSport said:
I would not put such emails on a public forum. Why not resolve things with the dealer or if needed via LR Customer Services? I would remove
Agree with Kaikoura, but hey at least this way he gets his company website on the internet!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I posted this because I have got nowhere with the dealer, and have been through 2 sales managers and 4 salesmen! This is ridiculous within a 5 month period.

My purpose was not advertise my company (I get enough media coverage if you google my name!) - I just simply copied and pasted my draft email.

I wanted advice if anybody has shared experiences, and also if you think it may hinder or help my situation. I don't want the dealer to 'blackball' me, given I'm hoping to get my car in early Sept?

·
Registered
30 Posts
How interesting, I too have had a similar experience with Grange Barnet. I placed my order in February with an expected delivery date of May/June. Due to a salesman not following the correct protocol this order never reached LR, following LRCS involvement in May I was told that I would have to accept the new engine with a September delivery. The original salesman has left as has the next one tasked with following through my order. Since the latest departure I have tried unsuccessfully to speak to the Sales Manager, he has so far failed to respond to either email or telephone messages to call me.
I would strong advise anyone contemplating doing business with them to proceed with extreme caution, indeed two of my friends have sourced their vehicles from another dealer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.