Discovery Sport Forum banner

Winter wheels

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  IluH 
#1 ·
I know Summer is only about to start (hopefully) but I'am already looking what kind of winter wheels would be available for the DS.
I'm running on 19" "Blackpack" wheels. To my knowledge there aren't any genuine 18" wheels in black color. So I'd be stuck with the 19" because I want black ones. Has anyone an idea on what kind of black 18" wheels would fit ?

#2 ·
#3 ·
Any suggestions what decent tread tyres to go for ?

#4 ·
I currently have Hankook IceBears but this year will be their last season as they only have 4mm of tread left (need 3mm or more to be effective).. On other cars have run Avon's (ironically made in UK), Cooper and Dunlop.

My car came with Goodyear 19" marked M+S (but no snow flake) and I know from experience with these on my first FL2 they are OK in the snow but you need a snowflake marked tyre to drive anywhere with safety (ie in anything more than a powdery dusting).

#5 ·
I have got a set of four used but in good condition (no kerbing) Jaguar Ursa 17" wheels which I assume would fit a DS. I'm planning on listing them on an auction site later this week for £400, if a forum member wants them they can have them for £300, collection from Birmingham area. PM me if you are interested.

Stock Photo of an Ursa wheel

#6 ·
Very nice.

Note that if like me you have a set of normal winter tyres from a last car then they will not have the TMPS valves vitted so there will always be TMPS error displayed in the dash (says the handbook anyway). Technology, isn't it great??

#8 ·
BFGDSMan said:
eurofan said:
I know Summer is only about to start (hopefully) but I'am already looking what kind of winter wheels would be available for the DS.
I'm running on 19" "Blackpack" wheels. To my knowledge there aren't any genuine 18" wheels in black color. So I'd be stuck with the 19" because I want black ones. Has anyone an idea on what kind of black 18" wheels would fit ?
Look on Topix https://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/topix/content/document/view?id=517478&groupId=1672#d3670a4d-1c7c-4db3-a905-4aaa9244fa1e!!1!5 and it will tell you al the spec sizes or rims and types.

Personally I would suggest that you buy a set of 17" alloys (standard EU spec size for DS and RRE) and spray black for a couple of hundred quid. I will be putting my faithfully 17" Fl2 ones on (GS I think they came from originally but not sure as they were a fleebay bargin).
Be careful DS and Evoque's have 45mm offset, late lr2/freelanders are 55mm in my research.

I grabbed some Evoque 18's for summer wheels and have winters on my DS stock 19's. I went with Michelin X-Ice winters the other option I looked at for winters were Pirelli Scorpions.

#9 ·
They came from an early FL2 anmd I had them on 2 x FL2 (non facelift models) and 2 x RRE (one with normal suspension and one with magna ride) and have fitted all cars perfectly.

Ultimately they are all on the same running gear (Ford C floorpan [European Mk2 Focus] from its time under PAG (shared with Volvo 30 and 40 series cars and XC60) so they should all fit.

#10 ·
eurofan, I ordered my DS with the 18" satin dark grey wheels and I hoping to find something similar for my winter tyres.
Currently I am planning to get a set of Dezent TD graphite wheels, propably at 17".
I used to have Dezent winter wheels in my FL2 and was happy with them. And they are not expensive.
But first I have to find out if the graphite colour surface can withstand the salt or whatever chemicals they use on the icy roads.
For rubber I will definitely go for Nokians, the Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.