Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filled up yesterday for the first time.
Saw the vapours - got worried. came home and read the relevant thread - seems normal for the car.
To fill up though only cost about £51 and that's using premium diesel and tank neatly empty prior to filling up.
You would have thought with this size car it would gave a bigger tank.
My old Audi Q3 cost at least £75 to fill using standard diesel.
Just Serbs a rather small tank - is this to keep the weight down?

·
Registered
677 Posts
The tank is smaller on EU6 cars due to adblue tank.

I haven't checked but the tank on EU5 cars is 68 litres I think.

Having a super ingenium engine which LR would have you believe is the best thing since sliced bread and is the most efficient thing on the road then a small tank is all it needs :lol:

·
Registered
502 Posts
J5 DS said:
Just Serbs a rather small tank - is this to keep the weight down?
I'm sure it is not just Serbia. I'm pretty sure the small tank is European-wide for the AdBlue and EU6 compliance!

Bloody auto-correct, hey?

·
Registered
404 Posts
AdBlu tank is 15L, fuel tank is 54L (was 68 in Freelander 2)

On top of that, the floorpan is different to accommodate the new multilink suspension. With better Ingenium engine fuel economy, the tank range should be similar

·
Registered
30 Posts
I thought the range would be OK with the Ingenium engine, but I've just filled up with the remaining range showing as less than 10 miles. The tank only took 50 litres, and the range I achieved was 400 miles, which isn't terrible, but it's not great, either. Hopefully the fuel consumption will improve as the car is run in.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
just don't tow anything, fuel consumption towing does is not very good with the old engine, and i am told is no better with the Ingenium Engine.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
When I bought my TD5 the buggers had run the tank down to *fumes*. I nursed it carefully to the nearby tescos and got 98 litres in it.

The upside was that got me around 500 miles so I wasn't too concerned for a car of that age.

But the DS has only a 65 litre tank. But I still expect to get well over 400 miles so not upset at all!

·
Registered
896 Posts
In the Old Days (1970's) a dealer would typically supply your new car with a full tank of fuel, this was a courtesy gesture and most did it. I am sure it helped with return business, it certainly gave the new owner a feeling of satisfaction, which seems to be mostly missing in today's market. To supply you with a full tank is only costing the garage peanuts, I'd say well worth their time to go this tiny extra mile!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've just topped up my AdBlue tank. The inlet for the tank is in front of the car, I guess so must be the tank itself.

Now can anyone explain me how the AdBlue tank in front of the car limits the size of the diesel tank in the back of the car?

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
It's a long tube from the front bulkhead of the car to the rear of the car, AdBlue tank takes up space making fuel tank smaller.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are you sure about that long tube?
The tank would have to be located very low for gravity to take the fluid from the inlet into the tank.
And then the fluid would have to be transfered back to front where it is injected in the beginning of exhaust system.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Can't find any photos of the underside of the car, but seems obvious solution to me!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
As far as I understand the AdBlue tank is incorporated into the main fuel tank which should provide enough difference in height for the AdBlue fluid to it.

As far as getting it back to where it's needed I presume there is a pump to do it.

I've mentioned this is other posts but to package such a tank as needed for the AdBlue is by no means an easy matter and I'd be extremely surprised if there was room for it under the bonnet. Considering the lack of space at the rear of the car (7 seats) then there is really no other place to put it other than in or close to the (reduced size) fuel tank.

·
Registered
148 Posts
ccomley said:
When I bought my TD5 the buggers had run the tank down to *fumes*. I nursed it carefully to the nearby tescos and got 98 litres in it.

The upside was that got me around 500 miles so I wasn't too concerned for a car of that age.

But the DS has only a 65 litre tank. But I still expect to get well over 400 miles so not upset at all!
Ah yes, those glorious Td5 days of £120+ to fill up!

·
Registered
80 Posts
PedroT said:
In the Old Days (1970's) a dealer would typically supply your new car with a full tank of fuel, this was a courtesy gesture and most did it. I am sure it helped with return business, it certainly gave the new owner a feeling of satisfaction, which seems to be mostly missing in today's market. To supply you with a full tank is only costing the garage peanuts, I'd say well worth their time to go this tiny extra mile!!
When I went to pick up my RRS from Bradford 3 weeks ago I mentioned to the salesman that the light is on & needs fuel,,he said take it next door to the filling station & ill put £20 in,,,,,Honestly £20 ive just given you my 30k car & £31 on my debit card & all I get is £20 in fuel,,He sadi if I would have purchased a new RRS (same model as mine would have cost about 77-80k) I would have got £50 worth of fuel.

Andy

·
Super Moderator
7,158 Posts
When I bought mine the dealer set up my remote setting so could see car before I picked it up. When he called me with pick up time I pointed out tank was empty, he said don't worry it'll be full. And it was !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.