Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My D3 HSE is 7 years old now and although the most enjoyable and practical car I've owned, it's latterly become the most unreliable so time for a change :(

A used D4 is a possibility but having just crawled over a DS in the showroom this in now, by far, the leading contender. Test drive next week :cool:

However, we have 3 kids (two large and one in a booster) and regularly carry lots of gear in the back so 2nd row seat space is a concern in the DS over the D3, especially for long journeys

Looks like some members on here have swapped from d3s and I was wondering about there real world experience is of the DS with 3 in the back? Or indeed any other thoughts on the comparison to the D3.

Btw. I already did the obvious and put all 3 in the back and they claimed that they were fine although they were so besotted with car I think they would say anything. Would be a different story after 8 hours on the M6

·
Registered
138 Posts
Waiting on my DS and trading in a 3 year old D4 HSE. I have a 5 year old, a 3 year old and a pregnant wife so love the space in the D4 and was panicking when driving a lot over Easter thinking I'd made a mistake but the DS ticks all the boxes and the saving on the tax, fuel and actual payments couldn't be ignored. I may go for the D5 in 3-4 years when changing again but now the DS is by far the better option.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Our D3 is 7yr old and in similar position. Love the car and so went looking for a 2nd hand D4. We thought the DS wouldn't be big enough - no kids to accommodate but we have dogs and need plenty of room for their paraphenalia. Took some stuff with us to try in the boot and were amazed at the size; very Tardis-like with the flexible seats. Went for a lengthy test drive which clinched it. So much more composed. Hopefully taking delivery in May

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I traded down (space wise) from a D3. Both kids have grown up, so the only thing that went into the D3 in recent years was two bikes and cases of wine.
The bikes will no longer fit inside, so may have to go onto the roof or in the caravan, I still have space for plenty of wine. :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had a D3 then changed to a D4, then downsized to an Evoque, the Evoque was too small for us with a dog, do I have now changed to the DS, the ride I feel is much better, OK trim level is not as good, but overhaul I am very impressed with my DS.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your feedback - very encouraging ;)

Will have to bring the kids to our test-drive where we will back-2-back drive it with a D4.

I'm liking the idea of the reduced running costs and every thing's a trade-off I guess. With roof bars/roofbox/bike-racks etc, i doubt I'd struggle too much.

Crikey - Mrs P already picking colours though ! Need to reign her in as that would DEFINITELY be my domain.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I came from D4, miss the power of the SDV6 engine but apart from that I've no regrets. The lowering running costs and more agile handling are a plus for me. I don't have kids but have greyhounds so needed to retain some space so the Evoque was a big no no.

Just bear in mind when trading down that it isn't a Discovery in the true sense of the word, there are compromises but if you can cope with the obvious differences then the DS is the car for you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you do go full fat discovery again bare in mind that there is a new Discovery 5 coming next year. This can work both ways for you as in better negotiation for purchase although it'll drop a lot next year with resale. If you plan to keep it for 7 odd years again then resale is probably not a big issue but it should give you a better bargaining chip with purchase negotiations on the D4.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've come from long term D3 ownership, I went to the dealers to buy a D4, UNFORTUNATELY i clambered all over a DS whilst i was at the dealers and no matter how i tried i couldnt see the difference between my D3 and a brand new D4.

I've waited for something new for some time so the DS was a natural progression.

90% of the time i'm on my own in it, the rest of the time its still too big for what we actually need it for.
I've looked at Freelanders in the past but discounted them for one reason or another, the DS is something new, a bit exciting and probably more suited to our families active lifestle but with less running costs.

The D3 is becomming uneconomical to keep maintaining, so i've opted for the DS. we shall have to see if it proves as reliable as the D3.

The robust build and quality of the D3 will be sadly missed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I moved from a long term D3 Metropolis and couldn't justify a D4 it was so similar to my D3. Only had the DSL a couple of weeks but like the driving position, how it holds the road and how much more economical it is compared to the D3. Do miss the thicker steering wheel, not towed yet but hope it can hold its own because the D3 will be a tuff act to follow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts