Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
You can see your vehicle build, instructions for fitting accessories and owners manuals.

Also shows any outstanding recall for your vehicle.

If you pay extra you can see more details and instructions.

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
Some buyers find it useful when buying used to check the spec of vehicles.

I have used it to view accessories instructions before deciding to purchase and fit them or let the dealers do it if complicated.

I used it to check for security updates with all the Keyless thefts and got my rrsport booked in before the dealer knew about it. I also alerted other forum members who knew nothing to check.

I've found it useful but never paid a penny.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If it's not much use don't use it.

I find it gives me all the information I need.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Q495 was listed against mine last week which was a software fix for in touch screen going off. That q495 is no longer against mine, so perhaps the same.. What I did see is that thre are now different versions of q495, was v3 last I looked so they are obviously refining it.

I used Topix to check something on my car that I'd not ordered but it came with..

·
Registered
533 Posts
mentorofmonty said:
It's a dealer tool that has had some functionality added to make it sort of accessible for owners. So I'm not sure it's another excuse to moan about LR.
Spot on. It is not really a consumer facing service. Topix is the information service provided by JLR to the franchise dealer network and the independant repairer network. It is essentially a database of the exact configurations of every vehicle they have manufactured by VIN number as well as service manuals and repair instructions.
The latter is provided to meet an EU regulation on breaking up the franchise monopoly on servicing. JLR must provide service manuals, wiring diagrams etc, to allow independent repair shops to offer servicing. Previously, only a franchise dealer would have access to such information (often on microfiche, remember that :)?!) fixing the price that the consumer paid for service work. All manufacturers have to do this (e.g. Audi=https://erwin.audi.com/erwin/showHome.do)

The fact that user manuals and accessory fitting guides are posted there and LR reference that on their Owner section of their main website, I think causes some confusion.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Never considered it a tool for the private owner. TOPix used to be clearer in that the opening page some years ago did refer to it as a dealer tool before the EU? made car companies give everyone access.

Personally I do find it useful to down load wiring diagrams and disassemble instructions particularly trim as it is difficult to know where the clips are at times

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think it would be better if it was a tenner a year for owners. Nice little revenue stream as most would subscribe to watch the build process and the like.

I had hoped it would be full of. "Car on trim line, Bobby Anfield and Sheila Goodison installing Ebony leather" or whatever, but sadly it wasn't to be.

It's only use for me is that I have read the handbook from cover to cover before the car even built. That's no bad thing.

I did learn some stuff about my present Landy, which I have had since new but bought off stock. It looks like it wouldn't start when they built it and it needed an oil pump. All appears to have been done prior to delivery.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Beast said:
BobbyBox said:
mentorofmonty said:
Well I can understand that but it does invite private owners to register, but distinguishes between trade and private users during the registration process. It has some information visible in list form, but lots of it clearly does not relate to your own vehicle - different models etc. When you try to access any of the headings it blocks you unless you pay....
If you enter your vin, you can add it as a favourite for future viisits on the left hand side, you can view the bulletins/docs that are relevant to your specific vehcile (tied to your vin), this clears up the view removing the RRS, FFRR, LR2/Freelander etc bulletins.

Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Operating system

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.