Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't had a deisel in 10 years and not got my car yet. What type of deisel will everyone be putting in the DS?

Is there value in the more expensive options at the pump?

·
Registered
65 Posts
My dilemma as well Charles.I wil be going Shell as a station is local to me but will it be regular or V-Power Nitro+
Any research and advice welcome.

HSE Auto LUX. Corris Grey/Ivory,mud flaps,privacy glass and service pack.Due end March.
Farnell-Nelson

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Not found a great deal of difference in the company car (VW group offering)

·
Registered
562 Posts
In 3.0 TDV6 I noticed improved throttle response, quieter, improved mpg and no smoke, ever.

In my 2.2 TD4, not noticed much difference. I always go to Shell and will probably go V-Nitro every 4th fill up to take adavantage of the improved detergents.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I used to put the premium diesels in my company cars (before the bosses insisted I buy the cheaper stuff), it did make a difference but not a huge one.

You'll maybe get an extra 10-15 miles out of every tank with premium diesel. My wife also used to use it her Audi A3 (about 4 years ago) and interestingly the premium fuel did NOTHING to alleviate the DPF problems that plagued the A3.

For what my opinion is worth, I'd stick with standard diesel, but from a quality provider i.e. BP, She'll, Esso.

·
Registered
138 Posts
There's about a 10% difference in MPG with branded v supermarket fuel never mind how cleaner the fuel is but not sure about premium v regular within the branded

·
Registered
265 Posts
Until fairly recent retirement I was travelling circa 38k miles per year over a 12 year time period. In that time I had a couple of V6 Discos, a 2.0 GTD Golf and a 3.0l S Jaguar XF. None showed any improvement in mpg or performance when using premium diesel. I had conversations with BP and Shell at one time asking them to provide me with data that would back-up the claims being made for premium fuel; they were either unwilling or unable to do this. In the last couple of years of Evoque ownership we regularly travel to Geneva in our SD4 engined car. I've tried both regular and premium fuel and again have found no discernible difference. My only preference and although unproved is to stick to the major brands of fuel as I'm led to believe that they contain superior additives to that of super-market own brand.
Tim

·
Registered
677 Posts
I use shell, just the standard fuelsave diesel. Only when it's double points I fill up with v-power.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is some guidance about fuel use in the online owners' manual. It indicates that diesel fuel should conform to European Standard EN590 - I assume, not having knowledge of such things - that both everyday quality brand diesel and performance diesel will comply. Although it also suggests that the highest quality fuel should be used, it also cautions about use of additives (presumably over and about those contained within pump fuels).

I believe that so called performance diesel has a lower ignition temperature which may be beneficial in some engines/climates but I doubt the SD4 is as temperamental enough for it to make any significant difference to mpg V extra cost.

My guess is that a judicious mix of quality brand diesel with a more occasional use of the performance version to give up bit of a 'clean up' is the way to go.

·
Registered
562 Posts
J77 said:
I use shell, just the standard fuelsave diesel. Only when it's double points I fill up with v-power.
Triple points at the mo!

·
Registered
829 Posts
EVO Magazine tested premium fuel and hardly found any difference in performance or fuel efficiency. I only detect a real difference on my Kawasaki Ninja super bike; here the 12,000rpm limit and performance mapping does gain you some 5-10% in bhp

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello,

Tested for some time premium diesel on my freelander 2 (TD4 not SD4) and no change at all.
I agreed with the mail just over, premium fuel makes a difference on highly optimised engines where you have more horsepower at high rev and a more "raging" engine. I was driving a tuned Yamaha R1 on tracks for some time and depending on where i got the fuel there was a noticable difference, both engine feeling and lap time...
Never saw that on cars...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't know what the difference in diesel fuels is but I know that the 4 stroke 100hp Rotax engine we have in our tug aircraft gets upset if fed with premium (97 octane) unleaded instead of normal (95 octane). Knackers the engine apparently, so the (ex BAR/Honda F1) engineer who looks after it tells me. In what way, I am not sure though, I just take his word for it and feed it the cheaper stuff. So 'premium' fuel is not always a good thing for all engines it seems!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts