Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am new with land rover and I am going to buy a car already available at the dealer because I cannot wait till end of October for the my16.
The car is ok, a HSE with almond leather panoramic roof and 19 alloy, but it miss some of the things that I would have. Can you please help me in understanding what can be done and what cannot be done aftermarket? In particular I am interested to understand if I can add:

Spare wheal normal size (the car has a small wheal)
USB Charger on the second raw (I would like them to recharge ipad during long trips)

Could you please help me?

Marco

·
Registered
64 Posts
#daydate# said:
Hi All,

I am new with land rover and I am going to buy a car already available at the dealer because I cannot wait till end of October for the my16.
The car is ok, a HSE with almond leather panoramic roof and 19 alloy, but it miss some of the things that I would have. Can you please help me in understanding what can be done and what cannot be done aftermarket? In particular I am interested to understand if I can add:

USB Charger on the second raw (I would like them to recharge ipad during long trips)

Marco
Here's what I know based on my knowledge of the Canadian model:
Spare wheel: A full size spare wheel (exactly the same as the wheels that are on your car) fits in the boot if you have 5 seater version, so if you have space for it, you might be able to do it. But I don't think you can fit a full size one if you have the 5+2 seats (which is what UK has).

USB Charger: I thought 2nd row USB ports are standard on HSE...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for replying. the car is a 5 seats, but it has the small wheel. I wonder if I can order the normal wheel and fit it in the place of the small.

USB charger in the second raw are not standard unfortunately in italy for hse

·
Registered
533 Posts
#daydate# said:
thanks for replying. the car is a 5 seats, but it has the small wheel. I wonder if I can order the normal wheel and fit it in the place of the small.

I'm not specifying USB in the second row either. Instead I will utilise the 12v "cigar lighter" that is there by default by using one of these:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=usb+car+charger
take your pick and add as many USB ports as you like.... much less that the £100 extra for factory fit USB ports. I also saw them in the showroom and thought they looked a bit too plasticy, particularly the flap covering them.
My children will only be using them to charge whatever devices they use so make sure you choose one that pumps out at least 2amp+ per port so you can support the bigger tablets and smartphones.

·
Registered
163 Posts
#daydate# said:

Yes a full size spare fits in the 5 seater, just take the small spare out and put a full size in, no fitting problems.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think if you fit a full size alloy in place of the spare the removable panel in the bumper will not fit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@BobbyBox thanks that's interesting I didn't know about it

@hal that's what I knew , that the full size spare doesn't fit. It would be interesting to understand if any changes can be done to put the full spare in place of the small spare.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
#daydate# said:
Hi All,

Marco
I don't think it has room for a full-size spare, the space saver *is* the extra-option you can't get after-market because if you don't order it from factory the car doesn't have the stoage space and the little winch for it.

No, they won't do the USB power dealer-fit. I ordered the car on Saturday and they said I could change stuff "for a while". On the following Tuesday I went back and asked for the USB power points and they said, nope, already too late. Buggers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well, I´d say nearly everything can be retrofitted. It´s just a matter of money and being able to hold a screwdriver.
In my Passat I have retrofitted the rear view camera, the camera on the windscreen for lane keeping assist, high beam assist and traffic sign recognition, the navigation system with antenna on the roof, the electric rear door and some other stuff. Everything exactly as factory fitted except that the cables have different colours ;)
Not too complicated but you won´t find much dealers who even want to think about it. As long as they do not have a step by step guide or let me say a retrofitting path of the manufacturers, they simply won´t do it. Take into account the prices for a man-hour and you are close to unaffordable.

So, buying those overpriced USB ports as a spare part, installing and connecting them to a nearby power supply shouldn´t be too complicated. But in this case, and I will no doubt do the same as already mentioned, I´d prefer one of those reasonably priced USB adaptors.

I´m sorry I can´t tell if the full sized spare wheel will fit into the trunk but it sounds to me that LR are installing different boot floors depending on optional equipment.

Nic

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
The thing about installing extra USB power is not the wiring of a suitable socket but cutting holes in trim panels etc., to mount them. Not something I'm about to tackle.

The spare wheel hangs under the car not inside the boot. The difference between the cars that can take a full size spare and those that can't is the space taken up by the third row seats. And yes, the floor WILL have to be a different shape, as merely removing the seats from a 7-seat model won't make the space in the right *place* for a fatter spare tyre underneath. IF you have a seven-seater, even if you take the R3 seats out, you cannot fit a full size spare.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ccomley said:
The spare wheel hangs under the car not inside the boot. The difference between the cars that can take a full size spare and those that can't is the space taken up by the third row seats. And yes, the floor WILL have to be a different shape, as merely removing the seats from a 7-seat model won't make the space in the right *place* for a fatter spare tyre underneath. IF you have a seven-seater, even if you take the R3 seats out, you cannot fit a full size spare.
No, I have the 5 seater with full size spare and it is inside the boot under the boot cover. It does not hang under the car. I believe only the space saver wheel can be hung underneath the car. Which is why I think they probably have a full size spare cutout under the boot cover for 5 seaters even if you only got the smaller spare.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have the reduced size spare wheel on back order. The car has now in the boot a factory fitted repair kit and an empty well clearly big enough for a full size spare wheel.
My problem is that the free space above the smaller spare wheel is very difficult to be utilized for storage. You cannot change the long bolt for a shorter one because the bolt is also holding the boot floor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.