Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just had my new DS HSE for about 2 weeks. They kindly delivered the new vehicle with a nest of ants hidden somewhere in the depths of the car. Now I'm on holiday in France and have discovered (hence "Discovery" I suppose) that the car is waterlogged. Normal car wash ... totally saturated carpeting on the right-hand side (it's a continental vehicle, i.e. passenger on the right). Has anyone else had this problem. I'm utterly appalled by the quality, needless to say.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Bizarre.

Nope, I had some water ingress to the boot area when I jetwashed it (from a reasonable distance) but as a Defender owner I consider that not totally unexpected!) Some water in the tailgate from rain. Not been through a carwash as such but have done some pretty heavy rain. Also, no insects at all so far, bar the ones splatted on the windscreen.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed the carpet from the right-hand side (possibly the left.hand side in UK models) and discovered that there is a foam-based cover behind the carpet (upper foot level). Lots of water when squeezed. I wonder whether the water might have entered through the ventilation area.

Strangely enough, the water squeezed out of the foam was quite hot. I'm not sure whether that is associated with the engine. Alternatively, could it be a problem with the air-conditioning? Have been in the South of France for the last two weeks, and with temperatures in excess of 35 Celsius every day the A/C has been running all the time.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Where-abouts in france are you? Auvergne here..

OK, the usual suspects for water in the footwell area are

- windscreen seals, along the top or along the scuttle.
- door seals
- blocked a/c ducts so the condensate drips inside instead of underneath

Unless you can see where it's getting in, or trace the damp zones (not so easy in this weather as it's drying out too fast!) it's going to be a faff to find. Unless it's giving you trench foot I would be inclined to just add it to the list of things the dealer needs to sort when you get back!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks. I'm actually based in Germany ... only on holiday in Provence for two weeks. Many thanks for the info, might help the dealer. The problem is that I jetwashed the car today, but I think the swish-swashing was evident before that. Extremely hot here over the last two weeks, so I wonder whether it might be the A/c, which has been on permanently. Saturated footwell on the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
We're a couple of hundred miles north but same weather. A/c on constant, no wetness. Only sign of dampness I have inside is some water in the boot space after I jetwashed the tailgate. So just you, I'm afraid!

Dealer shouldn't need help with this, but, who knows! Best of luck, enjoy the rest of your hols.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't suppose you have ants in your DS? Infested here. maybe they are responsible for the A/C damage lol.

·
Registered
381 Posts
discosportdisaster said:
I don't suppose you have ants in your DS? Infested here. maybe they are responsible for the A/C damage lol.
Maybe they've blocked the AC drain, when I've heard of AC condense leaking into the car it is always on the passenger side, can you see any sign of leakage behind the glove compartment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does anyone know where the A/C drain ducts/nipples are located? I think I read somewhere that they are positioned underneath the vehicle, on both the passenger and driver's side. Haven't found a picture yet.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
discosportdisaster said:
Not an ant.

But it's not such a daft idea - where *was* this ant nest, and, ignoring for a moment how the heck it got there, how carefully and completely did they remove it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They haven't tackled the problem yet, as I am on holiday. I communicated by annoyance to LR and they replied promptly - let's wait and see whether they can help. The ants were in the new car upon delivery - only a few on the roof at first. But I noticed more and more moving around the ventilation area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.