Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me again ... two weeks for an LR service appointment, so I am stuck with a damp car until then. Still trying to identify the root cause, particularly when LR asked me whether it was cooling fluid (obviously not, as that wouldn't be clear water).

Either its the ventilation system/seal or the A/C or a bloody huge hole underneath the vehicle. I went through the car wash today ... more water in the footwell, i.e. perhaps its not the A/C system after all (I thought it might be trickling into the car instead of flushing out properly). Alternatively, it's a combination of both.

When I reach up underneath the carpet below the central dash I can feel some form of sponge or foam material - absolutely saturated. I have included a picture. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
Could it be a leak from the windscreen not being sealed correctly?

Can you sit in the car while someone directs a hose at it and see if any leaks are noticed.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I think from what you describe it could be Air Con related.

Not an expert though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I would say the drain line from the aircon condenser has come off. Run your a/c, it should drop water under your car especially while it's humid outside. If no water, then the condenser is draining into your car. You should beable to find it.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am currently having the same, but intermittent, problem investigated again after being 'thoroughly investigated' 4 months ago but nothing conclusive found. I have passed on the info. shown on this site to Stratstone Land Rover (my local dealer). This time though I could see the 'track' of the water running down the surface of the carpet on the transmission tunnel. So its definitely coming from above not floor level. I have a feeling it's aircon condenser related. I'll let you know what they find.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I think it sounds like anything other than a hole, looks like either it isn't draining external water properly or there is an internal leak. Either way, making you wait two weeks is very poor indeed. Id be ringing up the dealer, telling them it isn't good enough and suggesting you want them to meet their obligations to supply a car free of defects.

This long wait for warranty work is frankly pathetic for a business selling premium products with these characteristics. It smacks of their mouths writing cheques their arses can't bank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
turnerp3nh said:
I am currently having the same, but intermittent, problem investigated again after being 'thoroughly investigated' 4 months ago but nothing conclusive found. I have passed on the info. shown on this site to Stratstone Land Rover (my local dealer). This time though I could see the 'track' of the water running down the surface of the carpet on the transmission tunnel. So its definitely coming from above not floor level. I have a feeling it's aircon condenser related. I'll let you know what they find.
I said I would let you know what was found.

After a bit of escalation, the boss of the service section manager said, "fix it for Mr Turner and lend him a new discovery sport for the duration". So it went back into Stratstone for 3 weeks and some intensive care with 'Land Rover Technical' booked to assist. After about 2 weeks or so, I had a call to say they believed they had found the problem and hopefully fixed it. The apparent source of the problem was that there was a seal between the bonnet airbag cover and the windscreen that had failed (or probably never seated properly at build). This allowed water to get down into the air re-circulation duct BUT it would just sit there until the air re-circ flap was activated. Then the water held would drop into the air/heater duct. Hence why it was only happenning intermittantly. Well, it sounded quite plausable so I agreed that I would try it out. If I was still getting a problem it would go back to the factory. That was back in the summer and, guess what, no problem since! :) Although it took a fair bit of time and I had to put a bit of 'emphasis' into it, I have to say, well done Stratstone for sticking with it and getting to the bottom of it. It wasn't a straight forward issue so I think they did OK. Ideally these sort of faults shouldn't happen but it's not a perfect world. Still love my Disco sport! :p

Hope this helps others. The issue is now recorded in Land Drover's Knowledge Base I'm told.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.