Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a 2015/2016 Land-rover Discovery sport from Brisbane Land-rover in December 2021 Done 400km and DPF filter blocked It was serviced and fixed at JLR free of charge, From reading forums etc I see the main problem is that for the most you have no idea a DPF is occurring, I also have a Late model Ute that flashes on the Dash the whole time it is doing a burn.

Q: Would it not be easy to have a light installed to let you know that a burn is Starting and stay on while doing so.

If this is possible would Land-rover supply Specs so a Qualified Auto Electrician could install it.

Love the Car but this problem is a Major Issue

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi Geoff, read this thread:
It gives you an idea of how you can use an OBDII bluetooth adapter and a phone app to have real time data from the car, including when DPF regen is imminent or is happening.
So far this is the best we could come with.
Not sure if it does work with the software in your year model, maybe get some advice from members with similar model before purchasing any gear.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Geoff, read this thread:
It gives you an idea of how you can use an OBDII bluetooth adapter and a phone app to have real time data from the car, including when DPF regen is imminent or is happening.
So far this is the best we could come with.
Not sure if it does work with the software in your year model, maybe get some advice from members with similar model before purchasing any gear.
Many thanks for that info, Checking it out now

·
Registered
388 Posts
Device is OBDLink MX+ and is a dongle that just fits in the OBD port
comes with OBDLink software
Full DPF and in active (uses fuel) regen
Head Eye Light Font Line

Active regen finished - still physically in regen as the exhaust is still hot
Light Font Line Screenshot Measuring instrument

Regen completely finished - exhaust temperature too low to support regen
Light Font Line Screenshot Measuring instrument

Note 15 minutes from start to finish
Status - in or not in regen
type 0 = passive 1 = active

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Device is OBDLink MX+ and is a dongle that just fits in the OBD port
comes with OBDLink software
Full DPF and in active (uses fuel) regen
View attachment 11658

Active regen finished - still physically in regen as the exhaust is still hot
View attachment 11659

Regen completely finished - exhaust temperature too low to support regen
View attachment 11660

Note 15 minutes from start to finish
Status - in or not in regen
type 0 = passive 1 = active
Thanks Andy

·
Registered
388 Posts
Can I add that some members say that you can spot that the car is in regen by watching the fuel consumption.
My instantaneous fuel consumption regularly is in single figures so that's not going to work.
I often set cruise control to 60mph for the 30 motorway miles on the way home, and this could be an indication that a regen HAS occurred as the trip average would drop from 50mpg to 35mpg.
The auto stop/start not working doesn't seem to be an indication of the car being in regen, it is true that the car will turn it off if actively regening, but it turns it off if it is cold outside, or high electrical load, or full moon.
It seems to trigger on DPF full and mileage, so I can drive 25 of the 30 motorway miles home with the DPF percentage on 100%, then 5 miles before the turnoff she drops into regen :mad: at that point I continue for another 15 minutes up the motorway, turn around and come home.
The OBDLink system worked on our original 2016 DS and the current one.
We had our 2016 D180 DS for 45,000 miles and didn't have any DPF issues, the current D240 has 42,000 miles and is running sweet - there you go jinxed her.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can I add that some members say that you can spot that the car is in regen by watching the fuel consumption.
My instantaneous fuel consumption regularly is in single figures so that's not going to work.
I often set cruise control to 60mph for the 30 motorway miles on the way home, and this could be an indication that a regen HAS occurred as the trip average would drop from 50mpg to 35mpg.
The auto stop/start not working doesn't seem to be an indication of the car being in regen, it is true that the car will turn it off if actively regening, but it turns it off if it is cold outside, or high electrical load, or full moon.
It seems to trigger on DPF full and mileage, so I can drive 25 of the 30 motorway miles home with the DPF percentage on 100%, then 5 miles before the turnoff she drops into regen :mad: at that point I continue for another 15 minutes up the motorway, turn around and come home.
The OBDLink system worked on our original 2016 DS and the current one.
We had our 2016 D180 DS for 45,000 miles and didn't have any DPF issues, the current D240 has 42,000 miles and is running sweet - there you go jinxed her.
Really appreciate your input into this Andy, Have ordered a OBDLink-MX+ should have it sometime next week,
I might have to Pick your brain if i have a problem setting it up

·
Registered
388 Posts
Really is strait forward - but, there's always a but, I do write control system software for a living so it should be easier for me.
Drop me a line if you struggle, I can always generate a step by step PDF - write manuals that no-one ever reads for the systems that I design :rolleyes:

·
Registered
765 Posts
Reading all of this I'm glad I now have a petrol model, couldn't be bothered with all this regen stuff(n)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts