Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 Discovery Sport was stolen last week, from my drive, without the keys! it was locked up, and it took the scumbags about 20-30 seconds to get into the vehicle, start it and off the drive. These vehicles have very serious security issues. They wrecked the side of the car getting out of the drive.

They tried to disable the landrover remote tracker; for some reason didn't succeed, but pulled a lot of stuff apart, fuses out etc.. They know exactly where these things are located, because they are always put accessible in the boot!

The way this is stolen is using a relay system of some type, they can capture your key signal from where you thought your keys were safe (kitchen, bedroom etc..), and relay this to a second person in the car who can easily start it. They apparently do this as well following you into supermarkets.

You need to put keys into a faraday bag/box, that isnt perfect. Put the box in the middle of the house. Put physical security in the way. Better still, sell your car and get something more secure.

In our small area, they seem to be doing 2-3 per night!

Speaking to the insurers, landrovers/range rovers/discoveries are currently the top cars being stolen.

How did Landrover develop such an insecure system! For the car price, it should be fort knox!

I've lost complete confidence now in Landrover. I'll never buy one again.

·
Registered
339 Posts
For recent new DS cars the following link may provide some reassurance for their owners, mind you if the low life want your car bad enough they will probably break in to your home for the keys anyway!
Little comfort for those with older models but progress is being made on keyless entry systems.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My 2019 Discovery Sport was stolen last week, from my drive, without the keys! it was locked up, and it took the scumbags about 20-30 seconds to get into the vehicle, start it and off the drive. These vehicles have very serious security issues. They wrecked the side of the car getting out of the drive.

They tried to disable the landrover remote tracker; for some reason didn't succeed, but pulled a lot of stuff apart, fuses out etc.. They know exactly where these things are located, because they are always put accessible in the boot!

The way this is stolen is using a relay system of some type, they can capture your key signal from where you thought your keys were safe (kitchen, bedroom etc..), and relay this to a second person in the car who can easily start it. They apparently do this as well following you into supermarkets.

You need to put keys into a faraday bag/box, that isnt perfect. Put the box in the middle of the house. Put physical security in the way. Better still, sell your car and get something more secure.

In our small area, they seem to be doing 2-3 per night!

Speaking to the insurers, landrovers/range rovers/discoveries are currently the top cars being stolen.

How did Landrover develop such an insecure system! For the car price, it should be fort knox!

I've lost complete confidence now in Landrover. I'll never buy one again.
It’s not only Land Rover’s, all premium cars are vulnerable to this type of theft, even the humble Ford Fiesta is the most stolen car in the UK !
If you want the ultimate theft protection just get the car resprayed bright PINK

·
Registered
Discovery Sport Landmark edition 2019
25 Posts
Most modern cars are surprisingly easy to take away hence the rise in steering wheel cover locks making a comeback as it is a deterrent all electronic devices are hackable one way or another physical deterrents are the key again nowadays

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I always use Faraday pounches, plus I have an OBD protector fiited and a steerig wheel lock.

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
748 Posts
Time to move to a slightly safer country LOL I have never locked up any of my cars when parked at home..

Reactions: steve.a

·
Registered
389 Posts
I was with you until I read "I've lost complete confidence now in Landrover. I'll never buy one again.'
This affects many different makes and the technology to hack the system simply wasn't around when the locking system was developed. It's an arms race and the only reason JLR cars are being stolen at the rate they are is that they are very desirable and they were a little earlier to market with keyless systems (which are otherwise really convenient) than some others. It's an arms race so you really can't blame JLR for this situation.

What I'm struggling with is the idea that faraday boxes aren't good enough. They have to contact your key from their device for this to work. I tested my faraday box when I got it and even putting it against the car door, the car still didn't pick it up, so I don't really understand how they can get a signal to relay, if the key is in the box. I've tested it with my DS, my Jag and a VW. It worked perfectly on all.

You don't say where the key was. This would be helpful to others who are at risk. How exactly did they get the signal?

Also, on the tracker, when I changed the battery recently, I left it disconnected for 30 mins or so. Within 5, we had a call from the tracker centre checking everything was ok.

Reactions: RPR and Paul41

·
Registered
511 Posts
Use a Faraday Pouch (as RPR stated) as, if used properly, your car is completely safe from 'signal relay' attack. You have to put the key inside the 'metallised pouch' and fold it over to seal the Faraday Cage. Nothing escapes from there. You should carry the pouch with you and put the fob in it as soon as you leave the car, only removing it to unlock the car. Your spare key also needs to be kept correctly in a Faraday Pouch, regardless of where you locate it in your house, or another family member. If they want your car badly enough though, they will break in, and possibly threaten you for your key(s).

All premium makes suffer from keyless thefts, but LR hit the headlines in this country. I'm content with the pouch solution that I've used for seven years now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Im afraid this isnt anything new and has been happening for several years and well publicised. Its nothing to do with a security issue with Landrovers but happens with any car that uses keyless entry.

Im afraid the OP trying to blaim Landrover for the scum getting away with his her vehicle is unjust. The issue is thieves are able to grab the signal from your keys using simple and cheap devices that anyone can buy on the internet hence the advice given to all owners of keyless entry vehicles to use a faraday pouch to keep BOTH sets of keys in which blocks the signal so the thief cannot capture the signal.
this is also something that insurance companies are now insisting on and unfortunately a lot of people dont do or only put one set in.

Reactions: ajmorr.is

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was with you until I read "I've lost complete confidence now in Landrover. I'll never buy one again.'
This affects many different makes and the technology to hack the system simply wasn't around when the locking system was developed. It's an arms race and the only reason JLR cars are being stolen at the rate they are is that they are very desirable and they were a little earlier to market with keyless systems (which are otherwise really convenient) than some others. It's an arms race so you really can't blame JLR for this situation.

What I'm struggling with is the idea that faraday boxes aren't good enough. They have to contact your key from their device for this to work. I tested my faraday box when I got it and even putting it against the car door, the car still didn't pick it up, so I don't really understand how they can get a signal to relay, if the key is in the box. I've tested it with my DS, my Jag and a VW. It worked perfectly on all.

You don't say where the key was. This would be helpful to others who are at risk. How exactly did they get the signal?

Also, on the tracker, when I changed the battery recently, I left it disconnected for 30 mins or so. Within 5, we had a call from the tracker centre checking everything was ok.
My guess is the OP didnt have their spare key in the pouch hence the vehicle was stolen. Its no good just putting one set of keys in there. Im surprised that the insurance company will pay out if thats the case as its negligence on the op

·
Registered
346 Posts
I’m sorry to hear of the OPs theft, it is not nice having something as large and personal as a car stolen (trust me, I know from experience - especially when they’ve smashed down your front door to get in). But I fully echo all the other responses here who say that this is not a fault of Land Rover, other than the fact that the vehicles are more desirable than other brands to these criminal gangs.

A faraday pouch or box will stop this type of ‘relay’ theft, which all vehicles with keyless entry are susceptible to.

You can also completely disable keyless entry yourself very easily if you want extra protection;
To disable - open the drivers door and keep it open, sit in the car and on the smart key press the headlight button three times, then the unlock button.
To turn it back on again - open the drivers door and keep it open, sit in the car and on the smart key press the headlight button three times, then the lock button.
For both actions, the headlights will flash to confirm.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My guess is the OP didnt have their spare key in the pouch hence the vehicle was stolen. Its no good just putting one set of keys in there. Im surprised that the insurance company will pay out if thats the case as its negligence on the op
Unless it clearly states in the insurance policy that keys must be kept in a faraday pouch or the insurance is null and void, then it's not negligence.

·
Registered
231 Posts
its disappointing and very annoying for the OP. I guess many of us assume everyone knows now about the relay theft, but clearly there is a great amount of people that do not.

Modern keys have a movement sensor, if the key has not been moved for X minutes, the key goes to sleep, shuting off all communications until movement is again detected. This is totally defeats the relay theft from a key sitting in someones house at night. It would be worth enquiring whether LandRover has employed this tech in their latest keys.

·
Administrator
2016 DS HSE Auto Gas/petrol
748 Posts
Hi I am curious about the problem since not happening near me. Once they start the car and drive away, do they then make/clone new keys to restart the car later? I imagine some are stripped for parts and others shipped overseas where the new owner needs keys.

If they can do it why does Landrover have a problem replacing keys for owners.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts