Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I have a great relation with my dealer in NL who often gets asked "what does Waitomo Grey look like?"

In NL the dealer will only get factory samples late June but he rather sells the premium colour now :D

Does any of you know the LandRover colour code so he can get his printshop to create a sample?

I personally am keen to see the result as well

Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
You mean there will be a new color added soon? I have no clue what color this is, I will check it out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes but I suspect we'll all have to "wait a moment" to find out. I think we could be in for a long stand on this one!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First samples arrived at the dealer. Waitomo Grey is slightly darker than Corris Grey but the real difference is some sort of blue hue due to pearlescent / mica appearance. Would like to see a real-life example on a DS...

I looked at the difference compared to classic metallic (Corris Grey) and found:

When a sparkle effect is desired, we recommend using the mica flake formulation technology due to its many advantages. Although similar in appearance, pearlescent coatings are formulated with mica flakes while metallic coatings are formulated with metal flakes.

Mica flakes offer better color consistency. They minimize "tiger striping" and the "flop-of-flake" effect in spray application. This phenomenon can make the color appear different from panel to panel.

Mica is the general name given to a group of 37 crystalline silicate minerals. Mica can be ground into small flakes and added to paints to make them shiny and iridescent. According to the Mineral Information Institute, the word "mica" is related to the Latin word "micare," which means "to shine."

Mica flakes act like tiny prisms, refracting white light into different colors. With mica automotive paint, the vehicle takes on different shades from different angles. Metallic automotive paint, on the other hand, uses small flakes of aluminum to reflect light. This gives the finish shine and sparkle, but the color looks the same from all angles.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Guys do you think it deserves the extra cost? Have you seen it live on any RRE or RRS?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only seen it on small sample but of the premium colours this one is so far the best. Worth it? Depends if you like to be rather unique

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks KaikouraDiscoSport. On another issue can you please tell me more on the Rica chip? Is it warranty covered? Will it assist to increase the initial response time from 0-30? I suppose you will chip the new engine correct?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Philn is right. Special situation in The Netherlands though while the LR Importer decided to engage RICA for all "engine upgrades" sold via ... the dealerships. I think their stance is that "upgrades" from TD4 to SD4 as offered by RICA are allowed under local warranty; if you take a custom tune like I do to 225bhp you are no longer covered for engine damage

Did the same tune on my RR Evoque and it TRANSFORMED the car. We live in an age whereby cars are seriously restricted for environmental but also safety reasons and it often brings the "weakest chain" to the forefront. I find the laggy engine responses, weird "turbo-lag" feeling upon take-off and sometimes outright hesitation of the gearbox unacceptable. RICA solved all that on my RR Evoque and achieved 228bhp and 500NM torque while my petrol consumption dropped 15%. (150bhp TD4). Very impressive

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have spoken to dealer and he suggested to wait till the car reaches 2500km before chipped. He also suggested a company called superchip I think. Back to the subject, did anybody see a waitomo grey car out there?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Not the best image to show the colour, it does look a lot darker in it.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would welcome the bright Porsche Macan blue

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I had two Discovery's in Monte Carlo Blue, I wish they did this still.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I saw 2 at the dealers today, an evoque and a range rover. Its a nice grey not as shiny as the corris grey its more of a flat grey but very nice. But i might be byass as ive just ordered mine in that colour lol

·
Registered
86 Posts
Any pics?

·
Registered
15 Posts
We also had a monte carlo blue discovery, a good, bright colour. Come on Land Rover get some more interesting colours!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.