Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking TOPix for updates and i noticed the engine choice list has jumped for the 2015 model from just the 2.2 Ford mill and the 2.0 petrol to include v6 and 5.0 v8 derivatives, Woopie, - must be a mistake as the 2016 are just the new 2.0 mil unless some lucky engineer is having fun somewhere.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Moose said:
Just checking TOPix for updates and i noticed the engine choice list has jumped for the 2015 model from just the 2.2 Ford mill and the 2.0 petrol to include v6 and 5.0 v8 derivatives, Woopie, - must be a mistake as the 2016 are just the new 2.0 mil unless some lucky engineer is having fun somewhere.
I think it's a mistake. I can't see a V-format engine fitting in as a transverse lump next to the ZF9. It would need a completely different driveline.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Disco said:
Wishful thinking guys. At the price point of DS, JLR will never make SVR version of it. It is more economy and practicality not high end enough like RRS.
I agree but wouldn't it be lovely :shock: I have the Supercharged V8 in my jaguar XFR and it would be an interesting addition :twisted:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Disco said:
Wishful thinking guys. At the price point of DS, JLR will never make SVR version of it. It is more economy and practicality not high end enough like RRS.
It might be wishful thinking. But, there is the SQ5 and rumours of an X3M in 2017. JLR's hand might be forced! Probably more likely to stick a V8 in an Evoque XL, if anything.

Never would get it past the Misses though! And afford the petrol!

Would like a six pot diesel option. Like the X3 30d(which I nearly bought) or 35d MSport. Just don't think it is Land Rover's bag though. More for the Germans and their "horsepower offs".

Oh, and Gogsy - Supercharged V8 XFR - Nice!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Disco said:
is diesel less expensive than gas in UK?
Disco,

Where do I start with that one? There was a shift over to diesel-powered cars in the 90's as company car(there has been a tradition of employees being provided vehicles as a perk by their company in the UK) fleet managers realised that they would reduce the company fuel bill due to better economy and general improvement in the performance of diesel cars against petrol(gas) - they became more refined and turbocharging made diesel engine performance similar to that or in excess of petrol(gas). However, diesel engined vehicles were often more expensive than a petrol equivalent vehicle spec for spec plus there was a higher tax on diesel fuel than petrol(gas) at the pump making the financial gain of better economy from a diesel only noticeable over a longer period of ownership. However, as company-owned vehicles(over 50% of new car sales in the UK are company cars) went onto the second-hand market it skewed it in favour of diesel-engined cars. Therefore, private buyers started turning to diesel, even though the economy gains weren't necessarily there as private vehicles did less mileage. However, most people were now looking for diesel-engined cars and petrol(gas) struggled to sell. I haven't bought a petrol engined car for over 10 years as I would struggle to sell it on and would get more for a diesel engined car like for like. Therefore, the UK has become a predominantly diesel engine market. The DS is only available as diesel-engined in the UK, for example. Coupled with the fact that any fuel, both diesel and petrol(gas), is heavily taxed in the UK. Currently though, and this is something I haven't seen for over 20 years plus, diesel is slightly cheaper than petrol(gas) at the pump. This appears to be as a result of a glut of diesel in the world-wide market with demand falling in markets such as China.

Now this may really blow your mind but this is currently the approximate price of fuel in the UK -
Diesel - £1.07 a litre
Petrol(Gas) - £1.09 a litre
Traditionally diesel was usually £0.05 a litre higher.
18 months ago fuel was up near £1.50 a litre (US$ 2.32 a litre / US$8.77 a US gallon!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.