·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, the USB port in the center console is it USB1, USB2 or USB3. thank you

·
Registered
329 Posts
No idea, but not sure why you'd need USB3 for mp3 files, wouldn't think you'd need the extra transfer speed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
And was I an idiot to think the car would have a CD player? I know we are in an ever increasing technological market but I had never seen a car not have a CD player.

I love the ease of just chucking a CD in and playing, but it's not even an option. The dealer seemed genuinely shocked when I asked. "Doesn't everyone just plug their iPhone into the the USB" lol.

Silly me clearly

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
In fairness to my dealer the first thing she said when I asked for a HSE was "no CD player "

·
Registered
677 Posts
It's available if you want to spend a fortune on the entertainment package.

I couldn't recall the last time I played a CD in the car.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I was surprised it didn't have a CD fitted, I thought it would have had the CD and hard drive combo that many of the other JLR cars have where you can download the CD onto the hard drive for future playback. Seems a bit of a backward step to me.

·
Registered
829 Posts
CD only comes with upgraded stereo and HDD satnav combi...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discoloz said:
I was surprised it didn't have a CD fitted, I thought it would have had the CD and hard drive combo that many of the other JLR cars have where you can download the CD onto the hard drive for future playback. Seems a bit of a backward step to me.
It's the opposit, CD sales are down and downloads are up.

My 13MY Fl2 took forever to store a CD and even then it would only 10.

It's far easier to carry hundreds of songs on a phone or iPod etc

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I haven't bought let alone played a cd for a couple of years at least.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Same hear, Spotify subscription, not played a CD in 5 years......didn't know I didn't have one however!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Besides at least it will stop any unapproved music been played by my good lady. every time I get into her car to move it Ronan Bl**dy Keating come blaring out of the speakers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
discoblackdesign said:
I have to buy a new USB drive ( 64GB ) so if taking the car is USB3 , so I take a USB3 .

Is it done with a maximum number of file is not exceeded for playing on the radio.

thank you

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ha, I was very surprised at the lack of CD Slot, however, I've always wanted a USB connection (not available in my FL2).

Far better to have a USB Stick in the covered centre armrest, nothing visible to prying eyes, and access all files, artists etc via touch screen or steering wheel. It shows album, track No, title and length. Really enjoyed it during my eight hour loan of a DS HSE two days ago.

I normally copy my CDs to PC, then download to a stick. One stick of suitable storage size more than replaces every single CD I've got in the car, cluttering up side pockets and glove box, and all titles are instantly available.

I'd say it's ideal! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
discoblackdesign said:
discoblackdesign said:
I have to buy a new USB drive ( 64GB ) so if taking the car is USB3 , so I take a USB3 .

Is it done with a maximum number of file is not exceeded for playing on the radio.

thank you
I'd doubt it's USB3 but ISB3 is compatible with USB2 so buy either. If you have USB3 devices in the one then buy that for the faster speeds. It should work on USB2 and you don't need the higher transfer rate for mp3 playing anyway. I cannot see anything in the manual about file structure, max directory sizes, max file name lengths etc

·
Registered
98 Posts
xxtrail said:
Ha, I was very surprised at the lack of CD Slot, however, I've always wanted a USB connection (not available in my FL2).

Far better to have a USB Stick in the covered centre armrest, nothing visible to prying eyes, and access all files, artists etc via touch screen or steering wheel. It shows album, track No, title and length. Really enjoyed it during my eight hour loan of a DS HSE two days ago.

I normally copy my CDs to PC, then download to a stick. One stick of suitable storage size more than replaces every single CD I've got in the car, cluttering up side pockets and glove box, and all titles are instantly available.

I'd say it's ideal! :D
Like many, I've been used to a multi-changer CD facility but I guess time moves on and CDs are becoming a bit old hat.

As xxtrail says, its no big deal to copy CD tracks to a USB stick (ideally a small profile stick such as are available from Sandisk which are very unobtrusive). The infotainment centre offers several options for accessing your selection.

I haven't had the opportunity to try give this much of a test but I guess it may be facilitated by tracks/folders being in alphabetical order: USB sticks normally show files in the order by date when they were copied. I noticed recently when looking at a certain Evoque forum some posts that suggested some software which purports to sort USB files (& probably also folders - ie CD tittles) alphabetically to make locating them easier.

On the face of it, this looks very useful. I've not tried it yet myself and can offer no guarantee of its effectiveness or that it is safe to use so try it with caution! For what its worth the link is: http://Www.fenux.net/story/fatsorteroneohfour

·
Registered
208 Posts
I know there is a use in the centre console. When test driving I also saw one at the drink holder btween the front seats - is this standard? I have ordered the single USB which is located in the ip shelf - anyone know where this is? I think its in the passenger side dash.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Charles said:
I know there is a use in the centre console. When test driving I also saw one at the drink holder btween the front seats - is this standard? I have ordered the single USB which is located in the ip shelf - anyone know where this is? I think its in the passenger side dash.
It is in the slot in the dash on the passenger side (there's a pic somewhere, I'll have a look). To my knowledge it is just a charge point. The only USB to media centre connection is in the front arm rest.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Charles said:
I have also seen a pic of one in the dash so not sure if I still want it. Do you know if the USB charge point that I have seen next to the drinks holders in the front is standard?
As far as I can see from the handbook (page 91) there is either a 5v USB or 12v power in with the front cup holders. Handbook says
12V power socket, located on the centre console. Depending on the vehicle specification, a 5V USB charge socket may be fitted.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts