Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

In preparation for the DS delivery (plus I'm bored at work today lol) what format does the system read music off a memory stick?

Also read somewhere on here you can add CD cover image too? if so do you store the albums in standard named folders with image in the same folder?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Haven't tried a USB stick yet, but according to the manual it'll play MP3, WMA and AAC.

I use an old iPod as a media source, and it'll play ALAC/Apple lossless off that, too, so there's no reason to suspect it won't also play those (but not FLACs) off a USB stick. Haven't tried it with WAV files, though these used to work on my old FL2, but with the problem that tagging wasn't available for artist/album/track info, so one had to be a bit careful how the files were named, ie as 01.artist.albumtitle.tracktitle and so on.

It shows cover art off the iPod, too, provided the art is in the same folder as the music and saved as folder.jpg - so again that should work fine from a USB stick, I'd assume.

For more info on connection and formats, see the page from the manual on Topix, at http://tinyurl.com/lultfl5

Took a bit of playing with the fader/tone controls to get it sounding reasonable, but now it's done I'm pretty happy with the sound - and I review hi-fi equipment for a living! ;)

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I just googled download I tunes to USB stick, which in the end was very easy. There is a good lengthy post on here somewhere suggesting how to set up playlists using Playlist Creator 3.6.2 which I downloaded but just have not got round to using yet.

·
Registered
26 Posts
andrewe said:
Took a bit of playing with the fader/tone controls to get it sounding reasonable, but now it's done I'm pretty happy with the sound - and I review hi-fi equipment for a living! ;)

Hope that helps.
Would be interested in whigh sound system you have and what settings you went with. I have the standard sound system and so far am struggling to make it sound anything approaching good. The bottom end is very 'boomy' and an overall lack of clarity and separation. Haven't had much time to tinker but so far am listening to talk radio as the music repro is pretty dire. :shock:

What bass treble and middle settings and where have you placed the fader?

Realise that beauty is in the ear of the beholder but would like to try your settings If you are happy with them. :idea:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Robin said:
andrewe said:
Would be interested in whigh sound system you have and what settings you went with.

What bass treble and middle settings and where have you placed the fader?

Realise that beauty is in the ear of the beholder but would like to try your settings If you are happy with them. :idea:
Upgraded (non-Meridian) system with subwoofer. Ended up with the bass set flat, and the midband and treble up one notch, with the fader 'spot' almost all the way forward and just to the left of the centreline (in a RHD car).

Would have liked a separate subwoofer control as fitted on the FL2 I had before, as I still think I could use a little more low bass without the midbass boom apparent when you turn up the bass fader on the DS, but I am also finding that the sound of the system seems to be loosening up a bit as it's used more, perhaps as the drive unit surrounds flex a bit and become more pliable, so may well have a fiddle again once it's been running for a couple of months.

So far it's certainly gone from 'OMG what have I done?', which was my initial response to the sound on delivery, to something rather more acceptable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
andrewe said:
Upgraded (non-Meridian) system with subwoofer. Ended up with the bass set flat, and the midband and treble up one notch, with the fader 'spot' almost all the way forward and just to the left of the centreline (in a RHD car).

Would have liked a separate subwoofer control as fitted on the FL2 I had before, as I still think I could use a little more low bass without the midbass boom apparent when you turn up the bass fader on the DS, but I am also finding that the sound of the system seems to be loosening up a bit as it's used more, perhaps as the drive unit surrounds flex a bit and become more pliable, so may well have a fiddle again once it's been running for a couple of months.

So far it's certainly gone from 'OMG what have I done?', which was my initial response to the sound on delivery, to something rather more acceptable.
Thanks for info...
could you explain what "upgrade non meridian system with subwoofer" means. Was this a dealer option or after sales change?

It is interesting to hear about your experience as I am coming from an Evoque with the Meridian sound system, and this D'Sport is noticeably poorer. It could be that it does need to 'bed in' in terms of speaker housing and cone stiffness so I will give it a good work out to see what happens.

I have never noticed such 'muddy' boom before in a car so it could be that the bass level does need flattening but that will lose 'richness' from the overall tone.

May have to consider a subwoofer to compensate - where does yours sit?

Anyway nice of you to reply to a fellow audiophile - thx.

·
Registered
32 Posts
rtdf said:
The uk HSE has 11 speakers incl subwoofer. The SE tech has standard 10 speakers.. So he means he went for the option to update to the version in the HSE.
Zackly! ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having problems getting the album cover to show via bluetooth (iPhone 6) or on a USB stick. On the USB stick I have the album cover saved as a jpg in the same folder the music files are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My music on USB was ripped from CD's I own rather than downloaded onto a PC, they I just dragged the album folder onto the USB stick and the artwork came with it automatically and displays correctly in the car. I didn't drag or copy in any imagery, it just worked.

iPod music will work the same.

The version of Bluetooth streaming on the DS doesn't support album artwork presently.

Have you all noticed you can ffwd tracks by swiping across the screen in the media view incidentally?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took the tracks from iTunes and added the album cover. The music plays fine just no album cover.

·
Registered
32 Posts
MrShum said:
On the USB stick I have the album cover saved as a jpg in the same folder the music files are.
...and named as folder.jpg ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah no. I did see somewhere to call it folder.jpg but I took that as naming the picture the same name as the folder it's in.

Thanks andrewe, I'll give that a go

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.