Discovery Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my DS went in to my local dealer yesterday to deal with two items, one, the B Pillar rattle and two, the two yellow lines on screen when reversing did not bend as they did before after updating software due to Tow Bar fit.
Just got a phone call to say that land rover are aware of the B Pillar rattle and replacement part will be ordered and sent to my dealer, however that part needs to be welded, so will have to re book so that the body shop can have DS at later date to complete job, waiting time approx 2 weeks.
At the moment they are also waiting for Land Rover to return call regarding getting reversing lines to work on screen with Tow Bar fitted and skinny spare.
To be honest, not worried about reversing lines, used to drive coaches abroad and always used mirrors, but if they are supposed to be there, then why a not have them.
regards
tony

Got to pick DS back up in morning so will find out more detail, about part and the welding and will post back.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Sadly, my dealer has offered to purchase my car back from me regarding the B-pillar issue... I'm accepting as the fix is crude and a lot of LR dealers seem to be steering away from the fix!

G

·
I've seen the instruction to the dealers for the B pillar repair. Definitely welding required in a really difficult area at the top of v the pillar. Not what you would expect on a new car. Still it's a big decision to agree a refund but it must have LR approval for the to cover it.

No rattle in mine ...yet!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I think I'll be buying another DS, but the new 2.0 180 model.
Hopefully the build technic has improved!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
l think the important thing here is that LR have recognized there is a problem, l think it has taken them so long to sort out a fix because the fix involves welding, and lets be honest no ones wants to think of welding on a new car, but for me, if it needs to be done, then so be it, they would of thought of the best way to fix a problem that a lot of people have. also they could just take the car in and do what they like and fix it and who would be any wiser, so credit where its due, they have listened in the end, worked out a fix, and now prepared to do the job.
l am more than happy
tony

·
Registered
305 Posts
Someone mentioned you can peel back the cover and see where the issue is, apparently overlapping parts of metal. Wonder if someone with a MY15 could upload a picture and we can compare to a MY16?

·
Registered
166 Posts
My DS went in for B pillar rattle and front rattle. Estimated 4 days for B pillar but wanted car for two weeks to sort another rattle and also replace other parts, including reversing camera due to that going faulty. 5 weeks later I pushed to get car back, the dealer tested and could still hear both rattles as could I, incl B pillar! Trims have been put on badly and now have gaps between door rubber and plastic trim. Have now started the rejection/replacement process via finance company...

·
Registered
381 Posts
The LR fix involves drilling out three welds at the top of the B pillar and MIG welding these back up and a seam weld between the B pillar and inner B pillar.

I've emailed my dealer the details and are awaiting a reply.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My understanding is that it is a little more involved than this - removal of headliner, B pillar trim, possibly passenger seat, cover interior, grinding of paint, removal of rubber seals (new seals must be used for replacement as seal clips can fail), some trim clips to be replaced (to mitigate further rattles), curtain airbag, etc... All this before welding!
Is this really acceptable with a new car??

·
Registered
381 Posts
82TLT said:
My understanding is that it is a little more involved than this - removal of headliner, B pillar trim, possibly passenger seat, cover interior, grinding of paint, removal of rubber seals (new seals must be used for replacement as seal clips can fail), some trim clips to be replaced (to mitigate further rattles), curtain airbag, etc... All this before welding!
Is this really acceptable with a new car??
I agree getting to the area which needs welding and reinstating is a bigger job than the welding works.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The technical bulletin LTB827 call for a whole list of clips and to have to hand, it only seems to give 4.5 hours to do the whole thing.
It also only talks about removing the side air bag curtain, not seat or anything, but it does say to do both sides.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I think the 4.5 hours repair time is the biggest issue for dealers - they may end up contributing to this repair!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Agreed, especially as if they damage or mark any part of the interior it will be at their cost.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Collecting my car tomorrow after this drilling and welding stuff. Will let you know the results.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hi,

does anyone know, if every DS is going to have that problem sooner or later? Or is it likely the rattle is going to occur on only a small percentage of produced DS?
Any news if they did fix it for MY16?

Greets,
Hauser

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well as it stands now, went to dealer to pick up DS today, first thing the update from LR to fix the yellow reversing lines did not work, so have to wait for new information regarding that.
The B Pillar rattle, they have booked me in for 5 days from 5/10/15, so now have to wait and see,
regards
tony

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've got marks and a scuff on my A pillar trims.. I suspected the headlining has been off as now the blind motor is noisier when operating and I wondered if something too tight or not right there. They must had had rear seats out as I've had lithium grease sprayed on rails, and over sprayed on trim / carpet. They've kindly 'hardwired' my dashcam back in, under trim, so I can't get the cable out to put in my other vehicle. Plastic trim isn't put back correctly by drivers door - loose and a gap between door rubber and the trim. The plastic trim around the both seat belt pivots are loose.... and whilst this was all apart, I don't know if a family of spiders have moved in as this morning I had to hoover out several mini/baby spiders from around the sunroof.

To top it off, I've still got the ticking behind my ear from the B pillar. Vehicle inspector coming to check it out tomorrow.

Btw, whilst the radio no longer comes on automatically and I have place names on the satnav, I'm now getting freezing from the infotainment system. This morning it froze as I tested the climate seats - just didn't respond with both the 'off' and 'lower temp' arrow highlighted. Pass seat worked fine, nothing from drivers side until after about 30s it responded. I've also now seen the reverse camera 'pause' from time to time. It's just riddled with issues.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Good job our cars aren't cheap as we would get bad workmanship from our dealers!!!!!.

Unbelievable state to hand a car back in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi everybody. I picked up my car in April and between April and beginning of July it's spent more time in the bodyshop than it's done on the driveway... Rattling noise from somewhere in the front on the passenger's side. It took two visits and a total of about three weeks for the problem to be fixed. Then the driver's side had the same problem. Again it took two attempts and about 4 weeks at the dealer. Went on holiday and an annoying rattle on B pillar (mostly on passenger's side, but sometimes on driver's side as well!) starting to develop. Have been back from holiday for less than 3 weeks and... rattle on driver's side (for the THIRD time) has appeared again. Can somebody tell me what on earth I can do? How do I get LR to get me a new car?
Many thanks.
Anesta

1 - 20 of 280 Posts